A Thanksgiving Run in the Ferrari | FerrariChat

A Thanksgiving Run in the Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ashman, Nov 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I woke up a few minutes after dawn this morning. It’s Thanksgiving morning and a perfect day to sleep late, but it’s an even better day to take the Ferrari for a little run. The temperature outside is 35 degrees but it's mostly clear, with a few clouds. I’m going to drive 30 minutes to Ridgefield, CT for a cup of coffee.

The Ferrari is waiting in the garage, and I think that it wants to go for a run as much as I do. Turn the key one notch to activate the fuel pumps, wait a couple of seconds and then turn the key to the start position. It seems as though it barely starts to turn over when the V12 explodes into life. I always get a tingling in the hairs on the back of my neck when this engine starts up, and even more so in the stillness of the morning. I wait for the oil pressure to come up and then back slowly out of the garage to fasten my belts and check the gauges to make sure everything is ready to go.

I move off as soon as I am ready, just moving out of the driveway and up the road smoothly and slowly. We’re both just waking up and need to limber up before the serious fun begins.

I keep the revs above 2,000 but below 3,000 until the oil temperature gauge moves off its peg. With 19 quarts of oil in the sump, that doesn’t happen for a few miles. I’m heading north into New Canaan and finally start to see some movement on the oil temperature. The revs climb higher now and the V12’s low roar starts to become more noticeable. By the time I reach the road to Ridgefield just past the town center, the car is ready to stretch its legs a bit. I see a couple of runners and the man turns to listen and watch the Ferrari as we pass.

As I cross the state line into New York State, the Ferrari is fully warmed up and urging me to use all the revs as I go up through the gears. The curves in the road start to make the suspension work a bit more and yet the rhythm of the engine, gears and steering wheel working together makes the pace seem serene as I head north. At the intersection, I decide to head west instead of east toward Ridgefield, as neither of us wants to stop yet for coffee. My Ferrari and I are just starting to enjoy the frosty morning and the sun on the fields.

The road is wider now, the speed limit up to 55 and the Ferrari is in its element as we press along. A BMW coming the other way flashes a greeting with its lights. The road is a series of big sweepers following the shore of the reservoir. Left, right, left, right, again and again, using the lane fully. The traffic is very light and I think about how lucky I am to be able to experience the song of the Ferrari in the early morning. It’s been a difficult year professionally but my family has its health, they’re happy and we have a lot to be thankful for.

A quick stop at Nick Soprano’s Motor Classic in White Plains to see what new machines he has in the windows of his shop. A beautiful red F40, a 250 GT Short Wheelbase Berlinetta and an Alfa TZ all look as though they would rather be outside with us.

We’re heading east now and the route home seems almost automatic for the Ferrari. Lots of cars starting to fill the Hutchinson River Parkway as we head back to Connecticut. I pull into the garage, shut off the engine and it's suddenly very quiet. I’m back in the house and no one else is even up yet.

I never did get the coffee.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

John

2. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    You read my mind, I did the same thing this morning. Took out the 355 Spider for some exercise. It was sunny, mild and the roads were dead empty. I had a Corvette driver wave to me but I turned my nose up at him! LOL! Happy Thanksgiving!

Ben

3. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon

This is what I love about F-cars, it's not the destination, it's the drive!

Thanks for shareing, all the best to you and your's.

Best!
    Ben.

4. Chip D

Chip D Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2003
    Louisiana
    Good Writeup
    I felt like I was along for the ride.
    Only I would have had a hard time going home.
    The ride was too short!

5. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Great story. I love it....

6. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Great story....Thanks for the ride.

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    John, awesome story...! Like Ben said, it's not the DEStination, it's the drive... Who needs coffee when you've got the song of a 12 rumbling in your chest...? Happy Thanksgiving... :)

8. chefrobear

chefrobear Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2002
    cravanzana, Italia
    Full Name:
    Robert Ginsberg
    lol. I use to live in Ridgefield! Great town and great roads. 102 from route 35 to route 7 is ausome. Lots of Fcars there too. I remember a police detective there collected boxers. Letterman's mechanic, francois is there too. One of my best friends has a 78 black 308 and lives in branchville.
    I'm jealous!
    BTW I worked today.:)

9. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    Good fun these cars, huh?

Thanks for the write-up.

I took the 308 down to have Thanksgiving with the family- about a 45 minute drive. We were loaded down with some stuff for everyone to eat before dinner. On the drive home- the trunk was filled with leftover turkey, stuffing, and gravy for later.

So- needless to say...I need to clean up spilled gravy! We had a nice spirited drive home and I forgot about the stuff in the trunk. I only hope it doesn't get on the Digiplexs!! That might be difficult to explain.

10. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Yesterday was a great day for a drive!! I took the TR up to Clinton, CT for dinner with family. Smiled the whole way up and back!!!

11. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    John, that story was great! Very well written, almost like the beginning of a novel!!

12. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I took the 328 out for a ride yesterday as well. I think I got about 5 blocks from home and I got pulled over for not having a front license plate on the car. I gave the officer the F-chat tested & approved response and was soon on my way again with no ticket. The rest of the ride was a blast! :)

13. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Whats the response? Not that it will work in the UK.

14. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Adnaan, i believe the time honored tradition amongst Ferrari owners is explaining to the cop that since it's a Ferrari, you're waiting on a special thingie doo-hicky whatsit to arrive from Italy, so you can the plate on properly without damaging the car... Apparently, it's the best line in the book... :)

15. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino