355's GTB/GTS (Not F1's) | FerrariChat

355's GTB/GTS (Not F1's)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Boxer 512, May 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    This is my first real question to the community at large and I hope I did the search right? Because I couldn't find anything to read about these questions?

I've been looking into 'possibly' buying a 355 but I have some reservations.
    I will (hopefully) be able to afford to keep the Boxer and still buy a 1996/98 car, (If everything goes according to plan).

I definately want a manual, don't like the flappy F1 shift, Prefer GTS but don't mind the Berlinetta's.
    My question is, What can and does go wrong, What sort of cost do you have to live with and just how good is the drive after the novelty factor has worn off ?

Everytime I get the chance to drive the Boxer it's a fantastic event, and she's no slouch when she needs to pick her heels up, She's embarrassed quite a few 'Modern Supercars', Only when they've provoked her though.

Thoughts ?

2. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Seb

I have a 95 GTS and touch wood nothing has gone wrong in the 12 months I have have owned it. It has required the expensive £2k belt service and you need to plan this in your costs. There is no shortage of articles in F-chat about what can go wrong and they can be expensive ( like any Ferrari ) to own. I believe that looking after them properly makes a big difference.

I absolutely love the car , It is a great car to drive ( mine has Tubi and great sound ) and personally prefer the gts to berlinetta. I also hapen to be a manual fan and not as you put is a slappy paddle shift fan ( not that I think its bad I just prefer the look and feel of the manual gate )

James

3. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    As everyone here knows, I represent the 'other' end of the spectrum. I bought my '97 355 knowing it clearly needed a SMALL amount of work, I thought small at least. Actually my total bill in 12 months is now over 8,000 pounds. I have another post on this in the UK section...

All the usual:

Manifolds
    CAT ECUs
    Tubi
    Re-connolise
    Brakes & Tyres
    Clutch and Hydrolics
    Squeaky suspension and rattlely bypass-value
    CATs blocking up
    2 annual Services and 1 Belts change
    CV Gaitors

Now after a years use it also needs:
    Wheel refurbs
    Possibly frontend respray

After all that, the car is in MUCH better shape, and I reckon It should stay that way for another 6 years with the right attention - DEFINATELY worth every penny!!!

Ade

4. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have a 99 355GTS which replaced a 328GTS. I initially missed the classic feel and the feedback of the older car.

But the 355 is an altogether usable car. Less involving possibly, but stunning ability. You will never tire of the exhaust note at 5-8.5k rpm, especially when enhanced with tubi exhaust etc. A 355 would make a great 'foil' to the classic V12 Boxer.

I'm not well placed to know what can go wrong, but some I've come across are potential valve problems, exhaust manifolds cracking and rear buttresses on the GTB/S's bubble up where the wing meets the buttress. One seems to get good ones and bad ones. Search the forum as common problems are well documented.

Good luck!

Robert.

5. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Like Robert I also changed my 328GTS for a 355GTS and I also missed the classic feel.Now I really enjoy driving the car it seems to get better to drive the more I do it,at first I found it a bit akward it just seems overall wider but now I do not notice it.I do have an F1 and I also note you do not want one and I also thought the same until I actually drove one(my one is the only F1 I have driven)and I can say that it is a joy to drive and I will not go back to the manual.
    Good luck in your search
    Dave McGuire