355/360 exhaust manifolds stats | FerrariChat

355/360 exhaust manifolds stats

Discussion in '348/355' started by ze_shark, May 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Exhaust manifolds maintenance history

1. My 355 never had exhaust manifold replaced

2. My 355 had an exhaust manifold replaced once

3. My 355 had exhaust manifolds replaced twice or more

4. My 360 never had exhaust manifolds replaced

5. My 360 had exhaust manifolds replaced once or more

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I am having an interesting mail exchange with Ferrari Switzerland about the reliability of the 355 exhaust manifolds, so it would tremendously help if I could put some stats behind my claims.
    The mere fact that the problem apparently vanished in the 360 would prove that it was a design flaw in the 355 ...

2. ART360

ART360 Guest

I've heard about them cracking on the 355. My blew out because the cats got plugged up, and it ended up destroyed the manifolds. Never drive with plugged up cats, this is the end result.

Art

3. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    How can you tell if there plugged?

4. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    You need a follow up poll...how many miles driven.

JD

5. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Mileage ? This would support the theory that manifolds "wear out with thermal shocks". This is the kind of part which should last for the life of the car ... like on most other modern cars.

6. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    HOW CAN YOU TELL IF THE CATS ARE PLUGGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!please.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The cars that see a lot of track milage will eat headers even if designed correctly, so you wouljd need to separate the tracked cars from the non tracked cars. Challenge cars (especially F355s) consider headers as expendable items (like rotors.)

My F355B has eaten a set of headers (at the track) and I expect it to eat a second set sometime this year. It is simply the cost of running the car like it was designed to run.

Things that would make the headers last longer:

A) get rid of the dual exit pipes on the F355 headers -- stress risers with differential heating
    B) get rid of the outer heat shield -- very bad for engine bay temperatures
    C) use thicker stainless
    D) use better stainless (304 over 303, 316 over 304)
    E) use Inconel tubing to make headers
    F) drive at least 100 miles every time you start the car*

*this gives the entire system a chance to get up to full operating temperature and stabalize.

8. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Sooo the cats plugging up is B*ll S**T then. LOL!

9. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    I don't think so. If you have issues with your CATS and they are breaking up and not allowing the normal free passage of exhaust fumes through, then presumably this will increase the temperature within the exhaust manifolds to an unnaturally high level as the fumes back up and hang around..(?)

I think that this could have been the main cause of mine going - the CAT was going first.

Ade

10. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Ade can you tell from looking at anything in the engine bay that your cats are going?

11. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Charlie,I think this has been questioned before, there were some pics of 2 different 355 exhausts one with the cats okay and the other with them about to go,the knackered ones had a white powder/residue at the tail pipes.
    have PMd you about the 30th.
    Best
    Dave Mc

12. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK

Yup, I saw this a little, but not much. The reason I new for sure, was during a service the CATs were inspected. I elected to have the CAT itself just knocked out (casing remained) at Zero cost to myself. I still have one on the left!!!! I plan to sort this out this either a 'straight thro' or 'test pipe' system in a couple of months.
    Ade

13. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Quick check:
    - no hint of the problem on Modenas (as expected)
    - 25% of 355 respondents experienced manifold/header defects at least once (N=27)

14. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Might want to ring up QV London or QuickSilver and get their take on it but I think you are 100% correct. The 355's manifolds were garbage.

-Michael

15. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I think that many people will acknowledge that ... except Ferrari. Hence my quest for quantitative data, X cars, Y problems, Z% failure rate.
    Ferrari's argument line is:
    - not true these problem is seminal (stats can undermine this)
    - headers are a consumable part

16. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I must be cursed. Took the 355 to work today, first real drive of the season since hibernation. Dropped the top at lunch and, there is that greasy garbling sound, the unmistakeable sign of my third exhaust manifold starting to leak.
    Have not been able to tell yet if it's the left one (replaced July 03) or the right one (replaced April 02). Can't believe it. Did not even touch the car this winter so these b*****t stories on thermal shocks are not even remotely credible.
    The stories that Ferrari has done nothing to correct the design flaw and keeps producing happily headers which are bound to break may well be true. A shame.

Choose your death: fried clutches on 360s or leaking manifolds on 355s.

If my dealer does not find a convincing and sustainable solution, I can't think of another alternative but the gruesome perspective of getting rid of my 355.

17. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    hi jean-claude,

i never had any serious problems at all with any of my 360s....so far :) but i only put about 10,000 miles on them before i traded them in. i'm probably going to keep my stradales for several years or longer...depends on what the 360 replacement is like. so i hope i don't have any clutch or exhaust manifold issues to worry about over the years :)

18. fazzaz1

fazzaz1 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Sam Scott
    My 98 has its fourth manifold on the passenger side and second on the driver side. I understand it is more prevalent on the passenger side. I have the last manifold and what happened in about 5000 miles is that the second and third pipes simply burned through in the first curve where they turn back toward the rear of the car. My car has never been tracked or run hard for any lenght of time. Ferrari's denial of a problem is absurd and shows a real indifference to its owners. I think something ought to be done about it.

19. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Nothing in my service record indicates that my car has had a replacement manifold. It is a '99 car, with 14k miles.

Has anyone had any feedback from Ferrari technicians as to their experience?

I'd say when mine go I will not be replacing them with OEM Ferrari items.

Robert.

20. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Sounds like you manifolds must be running extraordinarily hot (or some other extreme condition!!). 6 manifolds gone is just plain crazy!!! Wow, I'm sorry to hear you have had to go through this.

(1 manifold change) Ade

21. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Tried to find a serial or lot number on my leaking manifolds but did not manage to, the visible stamping only references the part number. Does everyone have the same marking, EM129L01 and EM129R01 ?

Noticed that the OEM manifolds are made by Ansa, who sell their own sports exhausts tubi wannabe's, see http://www.ansamarmitte.it/MRKINT/italia.HTM

They only seem to have rear mufflers for 355s, no manifolds. Their replacement business with Ferrari must be good enough ...

22. 9software

9software Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    How much are the single or dual manifold replacement costs? Do they tend to fail for particular years? Will running test pipes and/or tubi exhaust help?

23. ART360

ART360 Guest

1500 each for the factory replacement, 1500 total for QV. Those are estimates taken from memory, but I think fairly accurate. I'd go with the QV because they are made from heavier material, less likely to break.

Art

24. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Help me with the math here.....17 of 43 responses had one or more 355 exhaust manifolds replaced. Now I realize this is not a scientific poll, but what is the percentage here? If I were FNA, I would be on "damage control"!

Dave

25. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Yep, precisely the intent of this non-scientific poll. Getting 'better' every day clocking 18/44=41% of cars which experienced manifold defects. It's not a quality problem, it's an hemorragy.

Now if you were FNA, or Ferrari Spa for that matter (don't forget there is a world beyond the shores of the US ;-) ), why would you fix something while you have dumb customers which
    a) don't complain (at least not loud enough)
    b) pay hefty prices for replacement parts
    c) keep queueing to buy cars of questionable quality