What to look for on a 348? | FerrariChat

What to look for on a 348?

Discussion in '348/355' started by 308GTS, Nov 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    What are some of the things I should look for specifically on a 348? Consider that I know my way around a 308 well and that I am used to them too. I know it will be more powerful, no power steering as that came with the 355, but like what to look for on the injection, ignition, does it have a high idle when cold like CIS or does it fire right up and idle around 1000rpm? Is the shifter a cable? Should the clutch be light since it is hydraulic (right?)? (lighter than a 308?) What are some of the main common issues to look out for? I am scanning the archives but I want to be able to look at mechanically too and not just rely on PPIs info. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    To answer your questions:
    1) Look for Bosch Motronic 2.7 (over the 2.5)
    2) The car idles best right around 1000rpm. Depending on the car, some fire right up and some don't. These cars are prone to hot start problems due to flywheel grease requiring repacking - throws off the harmonic balance of the car (lots of posts on this in the archives) I also upgraded my starter with an Mondial upgrade kit from the factory. Not necessary for all cars - also had to rebuild my alternator.
    3) Shifter is by cable

The car requires some tinkering but if you are handy already, this car is relatively easy to dig into. Some other things to think about are the standard updates that were made to the car such as the cam bearing for early model 1989 348's. Also, look for single-disc clutches on the new models over the dual-disc setup on the older ones, which cost more to replace.

Feel free to email me if you would like to know more about general maintenance and daily driving behavior of the 348... otherwise, post in the technical Q&A section - there are tons of 348 owners that are VERY knowledgeable!!

Good luck,
    Byron

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  4. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Yes what is your email? Thanks. Yes I do all of my work. What year did 2.7 motronic come in.

5. FAMILY MAN

FAMILY MAN Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    ** My 1992 348ts was terrible. I bought it with just under 6k in 1994 and sold it in 1997. Drove it quite a bit ... almost every day. It was in the shop all the time.
    The main problem was the 1-4 check engine lights. The 5-8 came on once and a while but my serivce dealership never could seem to repair the car. Driving this car was a delight on trips. It seemed to break down more if it sat for periods of time. Hmmm, this may speak to other Ferrari owners ???
    ** My 1994 348 Spider was better electrically and mechanically. I bought it with 10k miles in 1998. Drove it on trips as well and nearly everyday. The 1-4 and 5-8 lights fouled up within the first 2 weeks I owned the car. Got that repaired and never had another problem in that department. Next was the clutch which leaked fluid on the garage floor. The left headlight linkage broke as well.
    We rebuilt the slave cylinder and it only cost $ 700.00 compared to the $ 3+ grand new clutch w/ labor. It worked for another 2.5 years until I sold the car.
    The service costs on a Ferrari is outrageous ... regardless of the model. And the depreciation of the cars if driven is worse.
    Question: What good are Ferraris if the owner doesn't drive it? That makes no sense. Folks in Europe drive their Ferraris ... so why don't folks in America?
    If you want a nice 348, buy a 1993 Serie Speciale or 1994-5 Spider. They will top out around 170mph and are better mechanically than their elders. Great bang for the buck.

6. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Thanks Family Man. Great info. Was the 1-4 the slow down type lights that is telling you the cats are overheating or does it mean something different in 348 terms. Thanks Again.