[xbox] Forza Motorsport | FerrariChat

[xbox] Forza Motorsport

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Schatten, May 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    It was just posted a short while ago on /. (www.slashdot.org) there will be a Xbox game to battle it out with the up coming GT4 (est. November release). for the PS2. Forza Motorsport is what it's called.

Basics:
    "First, they will be able to choose from more than 60 real-world brands, including Mazda, Nissan, Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Chevrolet, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, and Dodge.

After they select a chassis, players can go inside the guts of their car by adding nonstandard engines, suspensions, superchargers, and brakes. True gearheads can go one step further and tinker with their engines' gear ratios, fuel-mapping, forced induction pressure, and ignition timing."

My only question is... when can I get a cross platform steering wheel?

/. article
    http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/05/11/0425232&mode=thread&tid=127&tid=186&tid=211

gamespot news article:
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/10/news_6096668.html

gamespot game section for FM:
    http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/forzamotorsport/preview_6096813.html

screen shots:
    http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/forzamotorsport/screenindex.html

2. pipecrash

pipecrash Karting

Jan 30, 2004
    Los Altos, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter A.
    I use the Momo Force Wheel from Logitech($100) its usb so it works on xbox(adapter required) , pc(obviously) and PS2. I love it.

3. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    pretty impressive :)

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I didn't know this. Could I connect my Wingman Formula (PC) to my PS2?

5. pipecrash

pipecrash Karting

Jan 30, 2004
    Los Altos, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter A.
    I've used various usb devices on my PS2 (sun keyboard, usb to ethernet adapter) and most driving games for game consoles have analog wheel configs as part of the game so your wingman might work. It was great playing Tony Hawk Pro Skater online with usb to ethernet way before Sony released the broadband/modem adapter. Kudos to Sony for the usb support.

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  7. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    A few of us in the Seattle-area loaned our Ferraris to the Microsoft sound team for this game. My 355 and 512TR sounds will be used in it (they were also used in Project Gotham 2 if you wait long enough in the credits to see my name scroll by).

I own a video game Web site (http://www.cheatcodes.com/) and I'll be at E3 later today. Hopefully there will be a playable demo there.

8. MadMaxx

MadMaxx Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    I work for MS here in Charlotte NC. Pretty excited about GT4, but this does have lots of hope from what I've seen thus far!!

MM

9. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Hey Steve, I love the sound of your Ferrari racing through Florence :D
    That's very, very cool.

10. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    Thanks, Strasse. BTW - you live in what I consider my "home town." Born in Melbourne, but grew up in Scarborough Beach in Perth!

Anyway, the MS sound guys were kind enough to give me the raw multi-channel files of my cars on the dyno as they recorded them. They had 8 mics per session as I recall. L&R in the cockpit, near the belts (for general engine ticks and noise), near the intakes, and of course, the exhaust. Sounds WICKED cool.

11. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    It sounds a lot like a game from Atari called APEX.

12. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Yup yup, I remember we exchanged some emails years ago through the old Ferrarilist! It's a small world after all :)

The game sounds are amazing. The engine noise in "out of car" mode is brilliant. Did they record your horn too?

13. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    While it is nice to know that you helped contribute to the game, I really must say... that is quite an evil site you have. Popups galore + GAIN. I only hope that your paycheck justifies how much you screw up systems. I only wish I made the same amount of dollars cleaning up users' systems from visiting sites like your own.

14. pipecrash

pipecrash Karting

Jan 30, 2004
    Los Altos, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter A.
    Lets hope the physics engine on these new games is good. I was very dissapointed with the audio and physics engine on Project Gotham 1 and 2. Graphics slowdown and responsiveness were also an issue with PGR 1 and 2.
    I like Ferrari 355 Challenge and Gran Turismo3 Aspec physics engines and audio alot more imho.

my .03 cents

15. RP512TR

RP512TR Karting

Jan 11, 2004
    FRESNO
    Full Name:
    Ross
    looks good. when is it coming out?

16. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I wonder if you could make your own Koenig F50 on it?

17. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    The game looks good but I'm still waiting for GT4. The manufactures being added are very weak, KIA was just announced, oh geez. EA has the Ferrari license for another year, it was almost considered that GT4 would be delayed even longer just to get Ferrari in the game. I'll just wait for GT5 or maybe they will release a special edition.

Also, I had an idea to build one of these. I have an Extra TV to use plus my Wingman Formula steering wheel. Here’s a link for the plans.

www.firetooth.net/

18. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That aint got nothing on Andreas (Tifosi12) setup.
    Still aweasome though!

19. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Subaru had a 3-screen GT3 setup in a hydraulic pod as an STi sim at the Cdn Auto show... I've seen the full hydraulic systems in stuff like Neiman Marcus catalogue for like $20k+ - now that would be a fun toy.

20. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Do you have a link to the NM sim? This is the first time I've heard about it. I figure that it will cost me less than $80.00 to build my own.

21. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  22. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Personally, I do not care as much about some of the features listed (moving around), for me I would like to know how (and for how much) you can get a multiscreen for GT2. (and other games of this type) When I say multiscreen, I mean front, and angled sides, namely my periphery...so I can see around 150 degrees infront of me instead of the usual 90 degrees from a flat screen...the notablely absent part of the experiance IMO. (Along with the clutch)

23. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  24. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  25. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Looks like the cheapest version of a seat I've seen. BTW, do you ever go to: http://forum.racesimcentral.com/ good stuff there.

I'll try to take a picture of a buddy of mine's setup. He bought it used, and had to truck ship it from Indy down here. It's even got a CF seat that you have to slide into.