Car Taxes in FL | FerrariChat

Car Taxes in FL

Discussion in 'Florida' started by albertl, May 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. albertl

albertl Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2002
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Albert
    In Florida, they tax ownership of cars annually as a percentage of the retail value or is it a fix fee? Over in the state of Washington, we pay a fixed fee plus a small percentage of the value so a 200k car would run about $600 a year. In Oregon, it's a fix $20 fee.

2. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    You pay when you register 6% plus what (if) you have a local add-on tax (Miami +1%)
    Then your yearly is usually around $50.

3. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    no matter how you look at it, its a ripoff. think about paying the sales tax on any car each time that same car is sold. why not just have people pay the sales tax on a new car..........and not a used one! sounds fair to me.

4. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    Florida annual fee's

The 12-month registration period begins the first day of the owners birth month. Company owned vehicles use the month of June. Full amount is charged for the registration period regardless of when during the registration period the vehicle is registered.

Classification Weight Annual Tax
    and Other Fees
    Automobiles, private use thru 2499 pounds $27.60
    Automobiles, private use 2500-3499 35.60
    Automobiles, private use 3500 45.60
    Trucks, private and commercial thru 1900 pounds 27.60
    Trucks, private and commercial 2000-3000 35.60
    Trucks, private and commercial 3001-5000 45.60
    Additional Fees
    Transferring a license plate from another vehicle 4.60
    When a new metal license plate is issued 10.00
    Initial Registration fee 100.00

This is charged when applicant does not have a Florida registration to transfer.

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Jeez! What is that in Euros?

BHW

6. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Of all the states I've ever lived in, Florida is the best as far as taxation of any type is concerned.

I paid 6% sales tax when I registered my TR. (from out of state)

I now pay about $59 annual for the licence plate.

There is a $100 initial fee for each auto, i.e, if you are now registering a third auto, and have never before registered 3 autos in Fl, you will pay a one time fee for that 3rd auto, however, I had once owned 3 vehicles, and that did not apply to me.

Of course, I have homestead exempted my house, and now the rate of any increase is capped by law, meaning a change in the state constitution would need to be approved.

I doubt many in other states know what a "homestead exemption" is.

There is no state income tax.
    There is no county income tax.
    There is no city income tax.

As Martin stated, there is a sales tax of 6% plus any county tax.

There is no auto inspection & fee.
    There is no emission inspection & fee.

Big change from when I lived in the land of taxes - I mean Pennsylvania. :)

Martin, I stil want to know if your avatar is available to put on a daily driver. :)

Life is good........

7. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    Sales Tax
    Florida's sales tax rate is 6 percent. Each retail sale, admission charge, storage, use, or rental is taxable, along with some services. Some items are specifically exempt. Some counties impose a discretionary sales surtax in addition to the 6 percent state tax. The county tax rates range from .5 to 1.5 percent, and are levied on the first $5,000 of the purchase price. Consumers pay sales tax and any county-imposed taxes to the seller at the time of purchase.

8. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    Motor Vehicle Registration
    Florida's 6 percent use tax applies to and is due on motor vehicles brought into this State within 6 months from the date of purchase. Use tax does not apply if a like tax equal to or greater than 6 percent has been lawfully imposed and paid to another state or District of Columbia.

It is presumed that a motor vehicle used in another state, territory of the United States, or District of Columbia for 6 months or longer before being brought into Florida was not purchased for use in Florida. To qualify for exemption from use tax, you must provide documents to prove that the vehicle was used outside Florida for 6 months or longer.

The full amount of use tax (6 percent) applies and is due on any motor vehicle imported from a foreign country into Florida. It does not matter if the motor vehicle was used in another country for a period of 6 months or more prior to the time it is brought into Florida. Furthermore, Florida does not recognize tax paid to another country when calculating the tax due. The tax is calculated on the value of the vehicle at the time it is brought into Florida, not on the original purchase price.

For information on registration costs, regulations, driver licenses and minimum liability insurance coverage requirements, contact the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. Visit their Internet site or call 850-922-9000.

Payment of tax due on motor vehicle registrations and the purchase of Florida license tags may be handled at the local county tax collector's office.