Unfriendly Ferrari owners | FerrariChat

Unfriendly Ferrari owners

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by zff, Nov 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zff

zff Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Sorry guys, gotta vent. You guys are the only ones who would understand.....

<rant mode=on>
    Less than 15 minutes ago, I was outside working on my 308 (trying to get the stupid passenger-side gas tank out) and a Testarossa pulls up on the side of the street about 50-feet from where I am. The driver gets out and starts walking around his car inspecting it.

My arms and my shirt are covered in grime but I get up and walk over to the guy. He looked unfamiliar with the car so I thought maybe it wasn't his (a rental maybe)...

I open the conversation with "Nice Testarossa, is it yours?"

He glances at me and mutters "yeah." He continues to inspect his car.

"I have a 308", I say as I point to it with the rag in my hand.

"I used to have a 308", he says without looking up, getting back into his car after never once smiling and just barely acknowldeging me. I give up on the conversation, and as I walk across the front of his car on my way back to my driveway, he revs the engine (aftermarket exhaust). I sort of scoot out of his way and as I do, he speeds off... missing me my inches.

A S S H O L E

I gotta admit though, it wasn't a total loss. That practically uncapped flat-12 sounded BEAUTIFUL.
    <rant mode=off>

Oh, and a tip for those of you trying to remove your passenger-side gas tank.... get pissed. It helps when you're trying to break it free from the crossover hose.

:)

2. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Yea dude i had that when i was in my TR,i was passing a petrol station and saw a 550 spider, so i spun round and drove in for a chat.The guy was a complete ass hole looking down his nose at me and not even commenting on my TR, Wanker.About three weeks later my boss and my self were going out on business in the 360 spider when we saw said tosser in carpark (small world ey).So when the guy tried to make conversation i identified my self to him and made it clear what a tosser i thought he was.My boss was not pleased with him and this reflected in the meeting with the guy, my boss does not like rude people and the dude should not have pissed of his body guard any way (you see i was deeply hurt and emotional) HE! HE! The tosser

3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I too have had an encounter with a "less than curteous" Ferrari owner. I was at a track gathering and there was a gorgeous silver/gray metallic F355 Berlinetta that had just pulled in. I'd never seen one that color in person and in the sun it was just jaw-dropping-beautiful. I had a video camera with me as always at these events...and was taping the car. The driver and passenger get out, and I say "That is a very beautiful car" and the driver says without looking at me ".....whatever!" and walks away while the passenger looks at me with an apologetic glance. I kept my mouth shut as he may have had a rough day for whatever reason...but I think next time I run into a rude ass I will be rude back. Every group has their butt-wipes, but the Ferrari group seems to have less than say the Vette group. I have ran into many total jerks when I owned Vettes, but as for the Ferrari community this guy is the first and so far only one to date. I do understand Fcar owners being more "guarded" about talking to strangers and stuff, but there's no reason to be a jerk or think your higher up on the evolutionary scale than the rest of us.

4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Sorry to hear about your experience. There could be many reasons for why he acted the way he did... just caught his wife cheating (because he's an ass =)... lost a bunch of money in market... or just ran over a dog and chipped his paint. Either way people who act like that really do give a bad name to all owners.
    You should love cars for the right reasons... no to impress, show off and the like. A "true car guy" should understand and appreciate not only the history of his car and company but also have a reasonable respect for every great mark.... whether it's Ferrari, Porsche, Lola, Chevy, whatever. His TR wouldn't exist without the success of the 308 and all the models that came before that. He should respect the competition and achievements from other makes that refined his car into what it is.
    It's a too bad when a great car is wasted on someone who doesn't understand what it is, where it came from and what makes it great.

5. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I don't understand the guy in the TR. Even though it's a more expensive model, most are now owned by car nuts. All but a few of the rich dudes who bought these cars new sold them after a year or two. I do understand it when a guy in a brand new 360 Spider looks down his nose at me in my '85 Mondial. We're obviously in different leagues because he has at least $200K more disposable income than I have. I have a lot more in common with the guys who bought their cars used, because we own them for the same reason.

6. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "I do understand it when a guy in a brand new 360 Spider looks down his nose at me in my '85 Mondial."

I understand it, too - the guy in the brand new 360 Spider has no class. Why be generous to twits with expensive cars?

7. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    Yet another reason to have to take a test to own a Ferrari, or any exotic for that matter. At least most of those owners down show up around here.

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I agree, Unforetuneately our Test & Ferrari's test would be quite different as they only care about who you know, who you are. They dont care if you know anything about cars or their cars.

9. Ferruccio

Ferruccio Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2003
    olathe, KS
    Full Name:
    Dan Gordon
    I agree completly! That is a huge problem with ferrari and many of there owners. (although most are very knowlegeable and nice)

10. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The biggest Ass I ever met was a Viper owner, maybe first year they came out, His car is parked & I'm looking at it. He walks out & says " Dont look at it if you cant afford it" I'm just dumbfounded staring at this guy knowing I could buy & sell him if I felt like it. Clown.

On a slight tangent, it is fun cruising in the 512TR around the town where I grew up, everynow & then I see a girl who dissed me way back in Jr High, the look on their faces is priceless :)

11. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Fortunately I havent had any bad experiences with Ferrari owners.
    One good Ferrari experience I remember very acutely was several years ago. My dad was driving me to school when he spotted a 333sp racer (!) near a shop. It was parked on a trailer towed by a Range Rover ( I think) and the owner was conversing with other Ferrari owner nearby. One had a blue 328 and one I dont quite remember, It was balck. My dad pulled over and got out to check th cars out. They were talking about the various cars and attributes thereof. The owner of the 333sp saw that I was very enthralled in his car and asked if Id like to get in.
    What would you have said?
    The car was very roomy for me, being about eleven years old. I climbed in and was VERY careful not to touch anything. The owner then ACTUALLY STARTED THE CAR! Thinking back I wonder why there was fuel in the car. The lergely unbaffled exhaust made the most amazing sound the likes of which I havent heard to this day.
    No, I didnt drive it!
    I got out after the car was shut off, and my dad practically had to drag me into the Mustang.
    I was late to school, and the whole day was a blur.

12. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Jordan- that's the kind of amazing stuff that makes the whole exotic community such a fun place!

Sure there are dicks, just like anything else in life.

Thankfully at least, in the Exotic and particularily Ferrari circles I have been involved with, they are the minority.

Best!
    Ben.

13. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Had a bad one too. I was up at Lime Rock and was checking out a beautiful F40. Said to the owner beautiful car its always been one of my favs. All I got was no ans. and a dirty look. He sucked.

14. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    ZFF, sorry you had a bad experience... As an enthusiast, it always sucks to have a bad experience with an owner; i can't imagine what it's like when you're a fellow owner... Maybe he was just having a bad day... In any case, sorry... Have a good holiday otherwise, though... :)

15. zff

zff Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I should mention that every one of the other dozen or so times I've bumped into another Ferrari owner... whether or not I've been in mine... it's been a positive experience. Well, ok, there was ONE other negative experience, but he was one of those guys wearing a half-million in jewelry, had his silk shirt unbuttoned halfway down his chest, and drove a brand new 360.

This TR guy just really rubbed me the wrong way.... especially when he sped off and barely missed me.

16. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Like the previous post there are A-Holes in all segments of life. Most of the older Ferrari's which I have met their owners have been very cool. It is some of the newer stuff where the wannabes think their turd does not stink.

17. storminnormin

storminnormin Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2002
    California
    As we all know, there are unsavory characters in every group. The best thing to do is to ignore them and not let them ruin your day. I actually feel sorry for those snobs because I don't think they enjoy life (and their f-car hobby) as much as us friendly enthusiasts. By far the majority of F-car owners I have met have been true enthusiasts who will talk to strangers all day long about their passion. I know one fellow who even lets strangers he runs into at the supermarket sit in his f-car. Now that's cool.

18. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I would bet a grand that jerk did not own the TR (or a bicycle). If he does, I would highly doubt he is a member of FChat. Sounds as if he could use a few hours with DES to learn about Ferrari passion.

19. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Someone missed taking their meds this morning.

20. Bob Downing

Bob Downing Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Ferrari owners are just a slice of america, 2% of them are losers. I once hung a "for sale" sign on my windshield at a FCA concours event- you would of thought I drove through the event in a rusted 72 eldorado hitting every rosso colored car. Quickly an action committee approached me and told me the appropriate place for a for sale sign was in the seat of my car. This was after the judge informed me the polished acorn nuts on my intake manifold were not original. He probably polishes his own nuts. Hope he brings his nuts to the Breakers in January.

21. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, Peters...! :)

i'm with Tom on this; i'm always up for a good conspiracy, but carlos is far too whacked to convince me of anything...

22. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan &amp; LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Everytime time I drive my 360 Modena, people in cars always honk, scream in joy, and stick out their heads out their car windows at me. ALL I can do is just enjoy the complements and give them a "thumbs up" to them as soon as I pass them.

23. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    If you don't like ******* Ferrari owners (or even worse, dickhead Porsche owners), stay as far away from Newport Beach California as you can.

Yeah, there might be a couple guys that are approachable, but most that I've encountered are rude. I won't talk about the TR or 348 that I've pulled up next to in my Mondial t and tried to wave but got forced refuse-to-look attitudes.

Oh, and the guy with the Porsche Cayenne at the gas station that looked down on me for pulling in with a Ferrari, that's a doosy too.

24. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yep....there's no doubt we will run into these types in the real world. I hope that some of those guys are smart enough to come to websites like this one and read these comments. And then rethink their attitudes a bit, go to their next scheduled "A##holes and Jerks Club meeting" and spread the word. I feel that if you are really a putz, and are always giving off negative vibes, that some day you will need some help and nobody will want to lend a hand. If I were to see a known buttwipe stranded along side the road.....I may or may not stop to help....depends on how "christian" I'm feeling that day. But what we project outwards is reflected back.....

DES....I couldn't agree more about Carlos' comments....I've read it over several times and get more confused each time. Some people should read their posts out loud before uploading them....then they might see how strange it sounds. I'm guessing that Dr. Timothy Leary is his hero or something.

25. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    I think I missed something...