612 vs DB9 vs Bentley GT-Autocar Grouptest------------ | FerrariChat

612 vs DB9 vs Bentley GT-Autocar Grouptest------------

Discussion in '612/599' started by tonyh, May 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    DB9- £103 k

0-30MPH-2.0 secs
    0-60 -4.8 secs
    0-100 -10.1 secs
    Standing qtr mile-13 secs/101 MPH
    30-70 MPH-3.7 secs
    60-0 MPH-3.0 secs
    Top speed- 186 MPH

Bentley GT- £110 k
    1.9 secs
    4.9 secs
    11.8 secs
    13.5 secs /107 MPH
    4.6 secs
    2.7 secs
    196 MPH

612 Scaglietti - £170.5 k

na
    4.1 secs
    9.1 secs
    12.2secs/109 MPH
    na
    na
    196 +

Verdict [out of 5]-----------------------------

DB9- 4.5/5
    An intoxicating mix of beauty and dynamic prowess.Tiny rear seats,but otherwise a truly fine GT car. Winner of test.
    612-4/5
    612 sounds great, goes great and has bags of room[though not for bags!].But looks let it down.2nd place.
    Bentley GT-3.5/5
    Bentley seamlessly blends technology and craftsmanship, but it can't disguise it's weight.

"The Bentley has the image, the interior and is absurdly easy to drive for such a staggeringly powerful car.But it just can't cut it dynamically next to these 2. The ferrari gets so much right-engine,space,handling-but its looks hamper it and its price finally rules it out;what does it offer over either car to justify its extra cost?
    Which leaves the Aston Martin;2nd to the Bentley for quality, 2nd to the Ferrari for pace, but above them both for handling and style and costing less than either.Grand touring has a new grand champion ".

2. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    The boss has a 612 on order, haveing driven the Bentley GT for a few months now i still find no fault with it,i know its heavy but it realy does hide it well, and have you heard one?.....sounds bliss. I have never heard a DB9 and cant wait to compare the 612s noise with that of the GT. I do know power wise the GT will take some beating.I think the Bentley GT is a fantastic car but do hope the 612 is as good as they say in the flesh with hands on.

3. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    It appears Aston has carved a niche somewhere between the Gallardo, the 360 and the Porsche TT. It's as beautiful as a 360 but has 12 cylinders and more of a GT feel, like the TT and both upper end Ferraris. Yet, it costs 100K less than either F-car.

Yet, the question still begs, is the Aston more beatiful than a 456? ;)

Did the article mention the color of the 612? I've noticed a wide variation in beauty and symmetry, at least in photos, depending on the color. From what I've seen, argento and ingrio look best-suited this body, especially with designer wheels.

Forza,

Cavallini

4. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

5. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    The colour looks silver, but the article mentions it's gold !

6. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I don't get why everyone is hung up on weight with these cars. They are gt cars and a little weight here or there means nothing for what they will be used for. I am more interested in a nice interior and decent power for this type of car. I am still trying to figure out how Aston is planning on having the DB9 and the very similar Vanquish in the same line up. I guess I will have to wait to see the DB9 in person but in pictures it is pretty much the same car for a lot less.

7. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    I dunno ... the 612 is growing on me.
    I'd still pick a 456 as of now and go for an around the country trip with the saved money. It's sweet when your favourite choice is also the cheapest. :D

The DB9 looks the best to me, but it better not sound like the DB7 Vantage. Loved that car until I heard it ... damn vacuum noise. I've always been partial to british GT cars, just classy. Just feel it's a shame the Continental lost so much personality with VW ... it's too perfect to have character.

8. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    You are correct - which is why AM is updating the Vanquish in pretty short order. I am a big fan of the DB9...

9. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Not surprised by the DB9 coming out on top. Ferrari missed the boat in the styling department. I am surprised however that they only gave the Bentley 3.5 out of 5.

10. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Great point. For people to complain about weight in this class of vehicle is pretty strange. However, there's always somebody who thinks a GT car should be a track car.

11. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Yeah, I guess you are right. I just picture the Bentley rolling up to Mortons for dinner, not doing laps around Watkins Glen!

12. RP512TR

RP512TR Karting

Jan 11, 2004
    FRESNO
    Full Name:
    Ross
    there all really cool cars. but i think id take the bentley GT.

13. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    There are differences between the AM Vanquish and the DB9, but I suppose to some people thats harder to differentiate. Plus the Vanquish is getting a new interior and a bump in horsepower to at least 500. The Bentley GT looks very nice, but i would still choose either Aston Martin over any of them, they have an all around wow!

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think Bentley would be clever to shave a few hundred lb's and release a tweaked, lighter, 2wd version as a limited edition model.

I like 612 from a side view - but that curve running through the lights then under the grille that creates that goofy grin just ruins the overall look for me. Not as stunning as the Vanquish though - the 2 times I've seen them on the street I literally stopped breathing. And seeing how similar the DB9 is, it definitely has the 'looks' title between these cars.

15. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    I give the DB9 high marks for interior design, I think they've created a unique look w/interesting materials. I also love the exterior: elegant. Yet I find myself wondering why I'd buy the car. If I need the + 2, the DB9 seems to me the wrong choice; passengers with legs need not apply for transport in the back of the DB9. I suppose you could toss something back there - a purse? If I wanted a high performance GT, I'd go with a 2 seater. If I need to carry passengers, I'll drive a more spacious 2+2, or one of the very many available high peformance sedans.

Having seen and sat in both the AM and 612, my wife strongly prefers the Scaglietti. I greatly admire what AM has done in the DB9, but we won't be buying one. I'd be inclined to wait for the upgraded Vanguish.

16. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I just read the 612 and DB9 reviews in CAR and EVO. I quote, almost verbatim, only one sentence about the 612: "I would expect this level of performance from a 911 GT3 or 360 CS on mountain roads, not a 2+2 GT that's only millimeters shorter than an S-class."

Both reviewers were overwhelmed by the 612's all-around excellence. Predictably, they were less than convinced about the shape, but they did not utterly dismiss it the way many have here at F-chat. Interesting......

They also reviewed the DB9 and gave it a predictably glowing, criticism free review. One even called it "the most complete car in the world." Let's call them enthusiastic about a truly world-class British car. It has been some time.

As I've stated before, I see the DB9, and it's child-intended back seats, as more a 360, 911 Turbo, Gallardo niche creator. It's much slower than all these cars, but the combination of stunning looks, luxury and outstanding, all-around ability will definitely make it a success. As will similar qualities in the Bentley GT.

The keys to the 612 are the very usable, from almost every report, backseats, and the stunning performance. Wouldn't it be interesting to see the track times for the 612 compared to everything else, short of a Zonda, an Enzo and a Carrera GT.

The looks will grow on us, as the Enzo's did. I for one cannot visualize a Ferrari coupe, or any coupe for that matter, that's as long as an S-class, and a Tahoe. I must reserve judgement until I see it in the flesh. Preferably with my flesh holding the keys.

In some ways Maranello and Pininfarina have moved down a more difficult path. The last three clean sheet designs have not been especially photogenic cars. I remember the first pictures I saw of the 360. I thought it was a space-ship or something equally alien. Yet, in the flesh, it is breathtalking. Even today, some shots of the 360 are not nearly as beautiful as the 328, 348 and 355. Yet, in the flesh there is so much more to it than the others.

The Enzo pushed that extreme envelope even further, especially when it was first shown. Now, I understand and enjoy its extremity. I think the 612 will develop in the same way.

It is never easy to be daring. Thankfully Ferrari (and Lamborghini lest we forget) does not simply modify small pieces of the same design the way many other makes do.

Forza,