Maserati GranSport | FerrariChat

Maserati GranSport

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Doug., May 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    "The latest addition to the Maserati range is the Maserati GranSport. It is a new model celebrating the concept of sportiness at the heart of all of the Trident’s Grand Tourers. The GranSport was unveiled to the world for the first time at Geneva’s International Motor Show in March 2004.
    The new car, which joins the Coupé and Spyder in the Maserati range, goes on sale next summer. The GranSport’s name alone suggests its eager thoroughbred GT spirit, the kind of spirit that can provide plenty of fun on demand for the driver. The GranSport name also has a special symbolic significance for the Trident as it was first used in the 1950s for an elegant two-litre coupe designed by the Carozzeria Frua on the base of the famous A6 G. The new GranSport, however, is designed to offer an exciting alternative to the current Coupé, and as such, has been treated to series of new enhancements that give it a very powerful temperament indeed."

This was taken off the Maserati of San Antonio website stating the introduction of the Trident's new car....It has Trofeo-inspired wheels, and an upgraded engine, does anyone have any more info on the car?

2. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    The Maserati site has more details including specs. Basically, a jazzed up Maserati coupe with sportier air dams, interior, handling, and lower ride. 19' all the way around, and about 10 more hp. I think the exterior is a noticeable improvement, but judging from the initial specs, the performance increase looks modest. I am not sure I like what they have done with the interior. IMO opinion, they should have offered the Gransport not as a separate car, but simply a 2004 or 2005 facelift of the current coupe (minus the new interior).

3. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    I used to have a Spyder with the F1. It was a fantastic fun little car but had some major problems. Tranny completely blew one time due to a bad clutch, traction control would not turn off, power seemed to top out early at certain points in the upper gears, and if you're nit picky the radio sucked. They went from a double clutch to a single which they replaced at no charge and at the choice of the owner, ( I had this done regardless after the tranny mishap. )

First year models are a joke. I do not regret buying my car at all but it spent as much time in the shop as it did on the road. When I traded it in it was still 500 miles away form the break in period ending, ( but it did break a lot if that matters. ) Maser had to address some serious issues with quality and from what I hear from other owners, they have. The one thing I would have addressed right away is the lack of power and even Ferrari reps admit the Spyder engine was detuned from the get go. I do not think this new model, especially on the heels of the 911 Turbo convertible and the monstrous and nothing but rave reviewed Gallardo packs a punch for the entry level sports car. The Maser should gracefully push you into the back of your seat and in mine is seemed like a light little car that made you nervous about the engine with every dead period between the clunks of the F1 shifting spun in place more than gracefully pushed you like a SL500, SL55, or DB7 would. This new car should be an awesome new GT, but with that little amount of improvements? I see not much of a leap that it should have been given.

Bump the power up to 450 HP and smooth out that violent pump of the gears changing, increase wheel base and soften the suspension just a bit. Keep the price under $115K and make this new Maser GT a convertible and you have the ultimate car for some wild long range tours during the summer. The new Maser specs, seem very light and only minimal of an improvement.

RocketBoy

4. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    RocketBoy, looks like you experience was similar to the one I had with my previous 2002 coupe - it was essentially a lemon. My 2004 so far seems pretty good - Maser has made several refinements over the last couple of years which have subtley but noticeably improved the driving experience. BTW - the radio reception is significantly improved

Also, the Gransport is not really meant to be a "new" model, just a tarted up version of the current coupe. Sort of like the Stradale (but less focus on track performance). We will likely get a good view of the all new next-gen coupe/spyder next year. My impression is that it will be close to what you are looking for: A bit larger (QP platform based), meaningful increase in HP, and continued refinement in the F1 system. I have heard good things about the driving dynamics of the QP and Maser is still making strides in the F1 mechanism.

5. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I was able to get close up with a Grand Sport. Firstly, it sounds awesome. Secondly, I did like the interior a lot......very sporty and well laid out. I look forward to driving one.

6. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    maybe Im alone, from my seat in the maser, I dont think they need to change a thing. If you want more power, maybe a bump to 4.4 would be ok, but lets be fair, it really isnt as hard edged a sports car as a gallardo or 911 turbo, thats really why they have the V8 ferrari line. This car is more a sporty alternative to an XK or SL, and I think its so beautiful..mmm. Hope they don't change the styling too much, and for god's sake, make more ppl buy 6 spds!

7. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Rocketboy your type of reports on the first Maserati's to come back to the USA are what caused many sleepless night while waiting the 5 months for my car ( Spyder GT). I ordered the car without doing much research and found many of the types of things you describe written about it. I would say Maserati was also listening, as my 6 week old car with 1500 miles has been completely flawless to this point. I have owned many cars over the years and feel the quality of this car is at least as good as any of them. I am having more fun than I thought was possible driving it. You are right about the radio, But easily solved that by putting a Tubi exhaust on.

8. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    I really hope I do not sound like Im knocking the brand. For one if I had the money I would get another Maser Spyder. I was completely ready for the learning curve for this model. Others hate the clunkiness of the F1, but in the summer time it just felt so sweet and gave the appearance that car was really flying. ( As the 2002 spyder pilot would admit, the first year F1 had what seemed almost a whole 2 second lull period. It was just plain strange. ) I currently zip around in a Maranello and SL. To compare the Maser to the Fcar is like saying the Maser is a little and wiry WWI fighter plane that was always skipping around 110 mph. The 575 is like a B1 bomber, smooth, just will "whoosh" from gear shift to gear shift and simply glides past 150 mph.

This is where I make my suggestions and compare the Maser and bring in strange cars like the 911 Turbo conv and Gallardo. The latest Maser is the Enzo cousin, MC12? That car is just, well beyond words in a positive sense. Technically the Maser is a starter Ferrari or a baby Ferrari as I would like to call it. Then they have the MC12. That jump is just crazy. The transistion for Ferrari one can argue would be 355, to 360 or 575, then Enzo. In my opinion, Maser should make some sort of in-between model from the Spyder to the MC. It would be a classier alternative to the chest thumpin Gallardo. A more sexy Italian than the under a microscope by Frtiz 911. For those who want more than the Spyder who might think it lacks power and looks, what the Gransport should be is this. If the Gransport was similar to a Vanquish, I think it would be right on the money.

In a world of Ferrari vs Lambo and another of world what fun GT convertible to be seen in, I would hope that Maser would step up to the plate.

Does this make sense?

RocketBoy

9. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    I'm a big fan of the new GranSport. How much do you think it will be? $125,000ish?

10. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    I have heard $105k, a bit more than a "normal" coupe. Given the modest improvement, IMO $125k would be overpriced...

11. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Adding about an extra $45,000 to the Coupe for what i think of as the "GranSport Package" seems a bit rediculous....right around $105,000 sounds decent enough. I dont think they would charge any more than that. Great car though, look forward to its arrival in September.