Insurance ! aarrrggghhhh ! | FerrariChat

Insurance ! aarrrggghhhh !

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Spyder-Man, May 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Can anybody recommend an exceptional company to quote me on car insurance? (355 Lhd spyder)

The best quote so far is just over the 2K mark. In this case, points do not make prizes ! (11 of them)

thanks
    Rob

2. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Try Tesco, 11 points is a tough call though. Also try Scrutton Bland in Colchester and speak to Emma Mitchell

3. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
  4. bigmoose

bigmoose Karting

Oct 13, 2003
    London and Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    CT
    i just did mine today with aon.....helpful chaps
    call james tott on
    01483 706071
    but mate 11 points ?......tell us they were all in the f car....pls
    bigmoose

5. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Simon George
    Speak to Richard at Nowell and Richards in Stratford (01785 255514). I have rung dozens of brokers but he always comes up with the best deal every year on my 355

6. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Liverpool victoria,cheapest quotes by far,you can get an instant quote online

7. rviant

rviant Karting

Jan 22, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Liverpoolvictoria.co.uk

Tried them £850 for my 360 best quote before was over 2k

8. Stewart 430

Stewart 430 Guest

the great thig is that they are only interested in bans not points. they reduced my 355 cost by £400.

9. 328Matt

328Matt Karting

Dec 3, 2003
    Lymm,Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I am with aon, by far the best quote i have had.Most of the Ferrari owners i speak with are with them too.

10. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Wow great response gents, I'll try them all and see what goes.

As for the 11 points, mmm, collected only a year ago.

6 were on the M40 in a friends Lambo diablo, doing 102, talked the coppers into writing it down as 98, hence escaped the ban!

5 were by a dreaded speed camera on the A2/M2 road works on a motor bike. The throttle got stuck, honest m'lud!

Thankfully, I've since invested in a Road Angel. Bit late, but still better than nothing !

Rob

11. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    i would of thought with 11points you would get a great discount on insurance as you are going to be the most carefull driver on this site if you are not you will be walking and the car will be parked up???????????????

12. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    OK, just got an amazing quote from LV, £1100 including euro breakdown cover (Le-Mans 24hr), unlimited mileage and a low excess of £400. Which has saved me well over a grand on the next nearest quote, which had an excess of £1100 !

My, how I'm smiling now !

Here's some interesting legal stuff on bans points, from moi, as having been through the loop recently.

My first court appearance was for the Lambo incident, up in Stratford upon Avon. Got 6 points and £135 fine. Fair enough, did not get a ban, which I should have got, had I been reported for doing 30MPH over any speed limit!

The second time I went to court, I did get a 6 month ban and £200 fine ! (for speeding, as they gave me 6 points and I therefore hit 12 etc.) As you can guess, I was none too happy about this, so I went to crown court on appeal and got the ban removed, by reducing the points to 5 and the fine increased to £300. Cost a few quid on a barrister, but it was worth it in the long run.

Now, as I'm on 11 points, just one more speeding offence will mean a ban for me. But, there is a get out clause, as quoted by my solicitor, called "undue hardship" which means you can avoid a ban (but can only use this the once) even if you have more than 12 points on your license. So, if this ever happens to you, ALWAYS go to court and argue that it will affect your job, family, health etc. They are people out there with 16 points on their license, who are still driving.

British law ? go figure. . . . . . . . More interested in catching and screwing the motorist, as easy soft target ! IMHO

Thanks for all the advice, worked out a treat for me!

Rob

13. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    agreed! were substantially cheaper than ANY other UK insurer (by at least a £1k in my case).

14. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Liverpool Victoria came up within £10 of my AON quote who I've been with for a few years now. Would appear that they are especially good for cases where one has convictions etc.

Esure wouldn't even quote, so don't waste your time with them (calm down dear, its a Ferrari...)

Rob, interesting what you say about driving bans. I'll be sure to secure the services of a good lawyer if it comes to it as a ban would probably spell the end of my current job and F car ownership...

15. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    :-( ....... I wish Liverpool and Victoria would quote for me or AON for that matter. No points/accidents and 5 yrs NCB. Just because I'm 26, these guys won't touch me...

Directline and Tesco are the only people who quote me around 2-3K for a 355 spider. I'm never going to get good value (i.e. ~ 1K) till I'm 30 it seems, which is really Cr@p.

Anyone know a company that puts a clean driving record as more important than age?

16. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    AON covered me from age 28, but when I got the 355 said they were unable to cover anyone under 30. Luckily my 30th passed a month or so before I got the 355 or I'd have been knackered.

All worked out by actuaries, using stats, and they show folks below 30 have more accidents than over 30. A good driving record is of no consequence it would seem, unless it is a bad one, in which case your premium goes up!

17. jjustin

jjustin Karting

Jan 20, 2004
    East Anglia - UK
    Full Name:
    Justin.b
    They won't cover me on my 355 either as I'm under 30 :(
    Still, I did an online quote pretending I was 30 and it looks like I can look forward to substantially reduced premiums when I hit the big 3-0!

18. Garyh

Garyh Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Motor Insurance is my "profession" and I underwrite performance car insurance. Basically lots of factors count with different insurers as us underwriters have different likes and dislikes before we let the actuaries loose!
    If anyone wants a quote or advice email me full details by PM and I will look into it (please allow at least a week before you actually need insurance!).
    I can't promise I will always get a cheaper rate but will do my best for F chatters/drivers and will offer free advice!

I found the official scheme best though Zurich via Marsh but Aon were cheaper but won't allow driving to work which defeats the object for me!

Gary

19. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Gary,
    that's very generous of you, thanks v much. What details do you need?/have you got a pro-forma i can keep for reference on here as you're bound to be asked for one by everyone who wants a quote.
    Regards.

20. Garyh

Garyh Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Tony,

I'll knock something up that you can keep on here(or rather ny trusty PA will!) and post it in the next day or so.

Regards,

Gary

21. tomkranz

tomkranz Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Berkshire
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Carole Nash will do a classic policy as long as you're over 25 - give them a go. You'll have to suck down a limited mileage and some other restrictions, but if that suits how you use the car you can save a big chunk.

Cheers,
    TOM

22. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK

Doesn't the car have to be a certain age? My 355 is just over 7 years old now... thanks for the idea.

23. Garyh

Garyh Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    #23 Garyh, May 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Tony,

Form attached ( i hope) for quotes.

Regards,
    Gary
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Hi Gary,

I'm sure you'll be hearing from a lot of us in the months ahead!

Cheers, MARK

25. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    Gary you have a PM

Thanks

steve