Ferrari performance still sets the standard even on old models | FerrariChat

Ferrari performance still sets the standard even on old models

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by atheyg, May 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Been watching Car and Driver on Spike TV they do a lot of comparisions on new cars, New 350 Z 3500lb 0-60 in 5.9 secs,TRD $50k modded Civics 0-60 in 6.2, Audi Quattro $50k 250 hp 0-60 in 6.3 secs and many others.

A 84 308 QV could beat and out handle all these cars and many more for less money, who said old Ferraris are slow, they are still faster than 99% of the cars out there!

2. Redline Drift

Redline Drift Rookie

Dec 10, 2003
    TRD stands for Toyota Racing Development, as far as I know they dont do tuning for the HONDA CIVIC. But that said your point is well made.

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Saw that same show... agreed. Not bad for a TWO DECADE old Ferrari beating today's ricers :)

4. ART360

ART360 Guest

Two decade old Ferrari better than the current mid price sports cars? You bet. Now they are claiming that the 360 is becoming outdated. Well, with only 395hp, I don't think so. The car can't be driven at anywhere near its potential by 99.95% of the drivers who can afford one, so the only thing missing is bragging rights. Car is more than fast enough.

Art

5. Very true everyone says awww that car is a POS it does 0-60 in 4.6 but they havent been in anything better then 6.5 and the car isnt used 1/4 of its potential on the street anywas. It could be faster but its still fast enough.

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Point of Arithmetic: (100% - 99.95%) * 3000 * 5 years = 7.5 people who can drive a 360 to its potential. Probably a little low.

7. atheyg

atheyg Guest

You're correct, it was a Celica, they had another tuner Civic similar price and performance.

8. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    sorry to disagree here, but I'm just trying to let some of our members save face by gracefully bowing out of any street race offered by a tuned ricer. The 308 QV's AREN'T faster than a tuned ricer out there. Don't try to run with them, this will be VERY embarrasing. I am a BIG fan of the QV too. I've owned the best of them, and would have the car back in a second, but it'll get crushed in a street race by one of these cars, won't even be close- sorry.
    It'll be hard for you to tell a good sleeper. Beware of them. Something like a Subaru will absolutely eat your lunch.
    Again, not intending to start a flame war, but it's simply a fact.
    Ferrari setting a performance standard, ah, no.

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    What, pray tell, is the yardstick, then?
    Left and right, it's always, "compared to a Ferrari..." well, I think you get the picture.

Speaking of pictures, best to replace your current avatar. Nice as it is, more trouble than it's worth.
    Turn on Speakers for a hint as to why.

10. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    the link you post is not available, or protected.

11. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Jeff,

Agreed about "sleeper" ricers... but many of them cant do the twisties :) Besides, they have a ricer... we have Ferrari :)

12. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "the link you post is not available, or protected."

It's a wav file, Hal the computer saying "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that."

I've always loved Hal's voice.

13. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Well the facts of the performance of these cars show Ferrari is superior. these are semi tuner and regular production cars not some home garage tuned modded ricer, I have never run into one myself, they are all show and exhaust.

The Z and TT are regular production sports cars along with others, thats what the issue of perfomance is vs Ferrari and they lose.

14. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Since you mention R&T, here's data from the August 1983 road test of a 308 GTBi QV

0-60 6.8 s

If there is other data for the cars you mention, I can share the same for the QV, but on 0-60, the Ferrari gets clobbered.

15. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    there are SUV's are faster than that.

16. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    true! I'm sure the 308 performance was pretty damn good for 1983 standards...

- Andy

17. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I was trying to hold my breath, but since it has been said already:

You really have to thrash a 308qv to reach 60 in less than 7 seconds from a dead stop. As far as handling goes, you can do a search on how many folks are selling/have sold their 308 due to smacking into a curb at speeds that would make a snail laugh because their car was considered totalled. I won't talk smack and say a 350Z or whatever car is a "better car" than a 308 quatrovalvole (how many owners have put their 308 up for auction with that word spelled substantially differently???), but the 308 in any stock US iteration is not likely to embarass a 350Z, a Honda S2000, or much of any car in the same price range. Heck, my (up for sale) BMW Z3 2.8 will walk (not run) away from any stock US spec 308 up to 60 mph.

p.s.: Feel free to search through my other postings: I don't currently own a Ferrari, I'm not a fan of the 355, but I DO have 3 sets of the Shell F1/Ferrari stickers!! :p

18. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I'm sorry 348 Turbo, did you say something? I was too busy looking at your avatar. :D

19. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    s/peaking of suvs, i have a question....WHY?

20. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    ---- Lose License Now, Ask Me How ---

Steve...your signature is funnier than sh*t

21. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Only four more days left on my Imperial Entanglement :) If you will be in NYC for the show, call me and i'll we will meet and i'll give you all the details.

As for the QV handling mentioned, i FULLY agree and why as i had a 60-day reprieve it is being redone with better bushing/shocks/coils/tires/etc. Also, the car is lighter than stock and soon to be lighter still. Is it a 360? Heck no, yet for what she is there is some potential and LOVE the look of the 308. Of course for all the $$$ in a 308+upgrades one could have a fairly new Lotus or (fill in the blank).

Yes the 308 is underpowered, but frankly my dear i don't give a damn!!!!!!!

Enjoy THE DRIVE,

Steven R. Rochlin

22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Lingenfelter did some Suburbans that would do 4.5 sec 0-60 with 4WD even!

23. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL

HA HA, exactly, but this is a question that will bogle the minds of all humanity for the rest of time! Why have a 'fast' SUV!? Get a bloody large fast estate car for crying out loud... oh well, I suppose, their money. We might get held over the coals by a Cheyanne (sp?) owner. ;)

I think a properly driven twenty year old Ferrari will walk away from 95+% of owners of a newer car. This is probably obvious though... and as has been said many times before you only drag race once in a real race. Not to mention the Ferrari won't lose money. So adding up all the details, IMO, you'd be crazy to take a new 'Z' or whatever over a 308 for a fun weekender (maybe even a daily driver if you have a bit of cash for routine maintenance.)

24. bcmarly

bcmarly Karting

Mar 6, 2004

In the April, 1983 issue of C&D the 308 4V was listed in the road test review section on page 111 with the following results: 0-60 7.4; 1/4-15.2 and cost $59,500.
    Other cars listed:
    Camaro Z28: 0-60 6.7; 1/4-15
    Ford Mustang: 0=60 7.0; 1/4-15.4
    Porsche 944: 0-60-7.4;1/4-15.5
    " " 928S: 0-60-6.2; 1/4-14.7
    BMW 533i 0-60-7.7;1/4-16

With the exception of the 928S the other cars were between $20,000- $40,000 less.

25. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Good data... yet despite this repeating pattern (Ferraris being outperformed on 0-XX drag statistics by cheaper cars), people are still convinced that Ferrari has "lost it" now that there are so many sportscars (Ford GT, Corvette Z06, Gallardo, GT3, and various sedans) that can match or beat it for much less money. But that's *always* been the case... with the exception of Ferrari's supercar. Nothing new... except newbies coming to realize reality.