308 Pricing, Euro vs. U.S. | FerrariChat

308 Pricing, Euro vs. U.S.

Discussion in '308/328' started by Adeotec, May 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adeotec

Adeotec Karting

May 11, 2004
    Philadelphia PA
    Is there a price difference between the U.S. spec and Euro spec 308's?

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    It really depends on the specific example of the car, though all things being equal a Euro with DOT/EPA approved papers is a much better package.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    IMO you've really asked sort of a trick question -- you need to compare it on a car-to-car basis and your location/area of intended use can have an influence too.

A "Euro" car with the correct legal papers AND the actual physical modifications to legally be in the US Market would have little/no performance value over a perfectly stock US car so I'd give a slight $ penalty to the Euro car (less if the mods done well, more if the mods done poorly). The reality is that as the cars have gotten older (and don't get so tightly scrutineered for the physical modifications) an unmodified Euro version (but with the US legal papers and residing in the US) now has some advantage over a perfectly stock US car if you live in a more lenient emission/inspection area (I know that I'd definitely prefer an unmodified standard BB512/BB512i if I could get away with it). I'd add that the number of "unmodified" US cars is dwindling so even individual US cars need $ adjustments depending on existing configuration.

If you're talking about ROW -- I'd give the US-version a penalty (unless it's an area that requires similar low emissions).

Where are you?

4. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    From what I have seen in the market over the past years and what I have read a US spec 308 is always worth more than a Euro with all specs. being equal, mileage, color, etc. I prefer US spec 308s. Plus many are forgetting that 390s were very common on euros and they are the easiest wheel to find tires for nor are they a cheap tire.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A Euro 308 WITH dry sump would be the only car to command a premium IMO.

Would have the benefit for track use of no loss in oil pressure in long sweepers.

Other than that individual condition of the car sets the price, with dealers running $5K over private owners, in my experience.

My precat car passed emissions for years if tuned properly. Now exempt at 25 years old. (Texas)