getting an ABN...? | FerrariChat

getting an ABN...?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ashsimmonds, May 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    i'm just starting out thinking about this, and will do my own research of course, but just wondering if some of you dudes have some cool insider tips and pitfalls to avoid and stuff.

basically, very soon i'm going to need to do some contract werk, and i'd like to start out under my own steam rather than take on 'casual' assignments.

so, any enlightening tips, stories, or resources you have, i'll be happy to recieve.

danke.

ash

2. thoz

thoz Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    Tim
    PM me your contact and I call you and walk you through the process and pitfalls.

Best

Tim

3. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My firm used to charge about $150 for getting an ABN for a customer. But we have stopped doing that due to a new direction we are taking. But yeah, any accountant can do it. Or you can do it by yourself through the ATO.

4. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    yeah, well i'm gonna wait until at least the new financial year, so more time to check stuff out and make sure i'm doing it right.

just having had no prior knowledge in this area i didn't know where to start, but learning stuff now.

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Getting the ABN is a really easy simple step. In fact, you have to get one before you can operate a business bank account. You can do it in a few minutes at the tax office, with a few basic forms of ID.

I'm not even an Aussie and I got mine over the counter in moments.

6. thoz

thoz Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Obtaining an ABN is, as you say, very easy. You can apply online, it takes only minutes. Ash also has to address legal structure, PSI and other relevant tax related issues to get the best outcome.

7. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Everything is online these days.