308 steering rack play | FerrariChat

308 steering rack play

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Doc, May 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    I just noticed some side-to-side movement on my steering rack ( '85 308), when grasping the tire at it's sides and moving it in and out. How much play is considered normal? The car has 41k miles on it at present.

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    2 areas of rack wear. First when turning the steering wheel there's slop - for want of a better term - before the wheels start to move. Fix may be shiming the pinion or the rack or both. Other type is to grab the rack when fully extended from housing and with the tie rod end disconnected. Rack can wiggle up and down. Culprit is the bush in the passenger end of the housing. Solution is to strip and have a new bush pressed in and honed for fit.

However, you may be feeling something else with your test.

With the car on its wheels, curling your fingers into the tire grove for grip and palms on the tire wall, shoving back and forth can produce a small knock, or movement. This is wheel bearing adjustment. Solution is to strip, clean, re-pack the bearings with grease and torque to spec.

HTH
    Philip

3. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Thanks, Phil. How does one shim the rack/pinion? Re: reinstalling a new bushing, can this be done with the rack still on the car?

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    You could also have a worn inner or outter tie rod end, a potential accident waiting to happen.

5. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Approx what do streering racks go for for the 308qv--new and rebuilt? What would be a good source for such? Are the racks the same for all 308's?

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Ferrari UK used to have new ones for around $800 delivered...but I think they are currently out. I have heard people say that sometimes rebuilds can be questionable (they typically cost between $250 and $350) so for the extra few hundred it may be better to get new. That's what I did on my 328.

Dave

7. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Sorry, just back after a day at the track so will be pithy.
    Tie rods easy to check. Like the ball joints, move it, hold it pointing upwards, if it holds position, it is fine. If it drops, change it. Outers can be replaced. Inners, you've got to invest in a rack.

Best to shim on the bench. Can do it in the car. You'll need shims. I had some made. Otherwise, go to your local F car dealer.
    Philip

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The rubber mounting bushings for the rack are known to work loose & let the entire rack ass'y move side to side. Check them 1st & tighten them down, if necessary replace them.

9. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Thank you for the info, guys. While I haven't dc'd the tie rod from the knuckle yet to just check the tie rod, what I do get is in -and -out play of the rod into the rack itself . I don't think that the entire rack is moving w/i the mounting rubber bushings. I trust from what has been said that this probablt could be fixed via shimming (?).

10. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    One other Q--if it gets shimmed only, would this require a new wheel alignment ?

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    can still be a loose inner tierod and shimming wont fix that. I think the rack has to come out to inspect it and you will need an alignment to center the wheel and reset toe.

12. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    I am in the proces of replacing the front A arm bushings and just prior to taking things apart noticed a roughness when moving the tires from left to right with the tires off of the ground. Also noticed fluid leaking from both boots particularly the right one. Ordered the rack bushings,($5/ea) and gaiters, ($13 I think), from Dennis McCann, as well as a lower ball joint, ($85.)
    Need to go back through the old posts and seek advice on the rebuild.
    Any thoughts???

sincerely,
    chris

p.s. Also ordered stainless lines from Orme Bros, ($135) since the originals are approaching 30 years and all of the suspension will be out of the way. Mike has a nice post on replacement.