328 Shocks: Bilsteins (UK) same as Konis (US)? | FerrariChat

328 Shocks: Bilsteins (UK) same as Konis (US)?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by David512, May 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    Without or without springs and other attachments, are the Bilsteins available in the U.K. interchangeable with the U.S. setup, which uses Konis? I have been discussing with Mark and Stuart at Ferrari U.K., but there is some residual uncertainty about whether they are interchangeable.

David

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    They are not interchangeable, basically Konis were fitted to pre-ABS cars up to chassis number 76625, and from chassis number 76626 Bilsteins were fitted. Springs, mountings, suspension arms, hubs, discs, wheels and so on were all changed to accomodate the ABS system.

MW

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    David,

While i did not use Blis on the recent suspension upgrade, what you'll find is that the more normal size springs need more clearance in the front R/L upper A arms. You'll need to cut out a small notch to allow for clearance as the arm "swings" during driving movement. The real advantage here is that once you do this, you can choose a vast amount of springs and spring rates. Good info can be found at http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/199158.html . Hope this helps. Personally, i am VERY glad i did this as the stock suspension is good, but compromised and dated as compared to more modern widely available solutions.

4. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    I have heard that the before and after 76625 shocks are incompatible because of the attchment fixtures, but I had not heard about a demarcation based on manufacturer. My car is 81xxx, a late model ABS-equipped car, and the existing shocks are definitely Konis! Is this an American phenomenon? I am still wondering if the late model Konis and Bilsteins themselves are interchangeable.

Thanks for your input.

5. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    Since I am at work, I did not read every detail of the entire thread that you reference--lots of details there. For now, I am curious about what suspenion you chose, what model (308 or 328?), and how did you know to cut out the notch? I'll read that whole thread tonight.

David