Anyone here a dentist ? | FerrariChat

Anyone here a dentist ?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by FLATOUTRACING, May 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    I never have to go to the dentist except to have my teeth cleaned but my wife sees a dentist whose fees seem to be exorbitant.

She recently had a crown put on her front tooth (not a veneer one but a full crown) whatever that means.

It was put on 4 years ago and the dentist said it should last at least 10 years. Well it broke last week and the same dentist now wants to charge $1200 for a new one.

That's for one crown. I called around and some are charging about $1000 in my area.

Is this reasonable? Should the dentist replace the crown free of charge or at a discount? and how long does one of these really last?

Thanks,

Jon P. Kofod (who would rather spend the $1200 on a new set of race slicks)
    www.flatoutracing.net

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Not sure about "free", but even slightly discounted should be attempted. Crowns typically run ~800 or 900 from what I recall. Basically, it comes down to the lab that possibly used impure materials. Since it's been 2 years, it's difficult for the dentist to claim this with the lab itself who made the crown from the mold. And I'm not sure if the lab that they contract with would have any kind of guarantees, let alone, the dentist him/herself.

I'm not a dentist, you know me better than that. However, I did get a root canal from a former GF (at the time) of mine and had to get a crown. Yea.. talk about getting intimate. Try and top that one.

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    This is why I made all 4 of my daughters swear* they will go to dental school; no Medicare, no Medicaid, no Managed Care. Cash if you want first rate service, baby. Otherwise go on down to the health dept...

*Yes, I really made them do that but they know I'm full of **** and just pizzed that the dentist offer me no professional courtesy.

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    cash is difficult with dentists. although they do prefer it. typically, insurance companies pay up anywhere between 60 days and 6 months for dentists from what I recall. but this was back several years ago.

5. JSMDMD

JSMDMD Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Sorry to hear about your tooth...
    Crowns on average last anywhere from 5 to 10 years, depending on several factors. These can include the condition of the remaining tooth, the location in the mouth and the types of forces that are being generated on the tooth, and any parafunctional habits such as grinding. With porcelain crowns, imperfections in the porcelain during firing can also cause breakage.
    If one of my patients break a crown that I placed, I will replace it for them. Depending on the time elapsed since the initial placement, I usually give them a break on the fee. Now, this is just my office, but if it breaks within 2 yrs I will replace it at no charge. Between 3 and 5 yrs I will replace it at my lab cost, which is about $225.
    We can't guarantee our work cause of some strange laws regulating dental practices, but most quality dentists will as a matter of course do the same thing that I have outlined.
    We charge $800 for a crown, which is fairly average here. Some dentists charge more, some less. Price is not an indicator of quality. Usually its more an indication of how high the dentists' rent is.... ;)

Hope that helps a bit....

Joel 91 NSX Black/Ivory

6. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I would pay Joel $800 and spend the rest getting to him!!!!

DrS

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    LOL. Well, when their nuts get crunched and they come begging you'll have the last laugh. A last, expensive laugh.

8. cochise

cochise Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Dempsey Chavis
    I broke 2 front teeth off back in '76, sliding into homeplate, and had to get 2 root canals and caps put on. They have been in place ever since. My current dentists notices some irritation at the gum line - which he attributes to the use of some material (beryllium) (sp) which is no longer used. However , he also says modern materials, procedures would probably not do as well as my original dentist did. I guess I am lucky,,,knock on wood.

9. pexogoce

pexogoce Karting
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    pexogoce