TR Gearbox Fluid-How much in what? | FerrariChat

TR Gearbox Fluid-How much in what?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by yellowtr, May 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Guys,

I have my handbook and it shows the fluids page and shows how much gearbox oil is needed. However on the diagram it shows a smaller compartment near the gearbox which also seems to contain oil. Does anyone know how much is meant to go in there? Or does it feel up when you put fluid into the gearbox?

Thanks in advance!

Pete

2. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    You fill the transfer gear (at rear) compartment from the top. It will hold only so much, and the rest will go into the gear case, by itself. Do this until oil comes out of the "check oil" hole, in the back. That way both are filled. Do this slowly, at the end, since it takes time for oil to get into the gear case, from the transfer case.

3. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003

Hmm. I found it easy to do as the manual suggests, which is fill the transaxle case thru the fill hole (middle rear of case) until it is level with bottom of hole, then simply add a couple of oz to the gear case. You end up using precisely the amount of oil that the manual suggests. I think it would be quicker than letting it all leach down from the gear case into the transaxle case. : ) Jim

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Pete -- (To answer your question more directly) You should put at least ~0.2 pints of new gear oil in the transfer gear fill hole -- the remainder can then either be put in via there too or in the main fill hole as the guys described (i.e., you should not refill just thru the main reservoir fill hole only).

5. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Gentleman,

Many thanks for all you help, especally Steve, just what I needed!

Have fun!

Pete