Question for owners 6'2" or taller | FerrariChat

Question for owners 6'2" or taller

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by riverflyer, Nov 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Hello. I have performed several searches but did not find the answers I am seeking. I don't live in an area that offers any ferrari's for sale so can't find out by sitting in cars at a dealer either. So, all you tall owners, please offer some feedback on your driving comfort, headroom and legroom. I have driven 328 and tr only and found the fit very tight. Can seat rails be swapped out to lower profile? or eliminated? How many models offer adjustable pedals? Thanks for your time, John

2. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I drive a 348 spyder and I am 6'5" and fit just fine. I use a 300mm sterring wheel for more knee room.

3. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I am 6'3" 180 pounds and fit fine in my 308QV.

Ken

4. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    I am 6' 3" and drive my 308GTB comfortably. I have found that 328's and 308GTS's have less headroom. I think the shape of the GTS's removeable roofpanel has something to do with this. Good luck, Mick

5. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    There are always people who say they fit comfortably in the smallest car, like a guy 7 ft. tall who says he is just fine in a Testarossa. I am 6-2. I have never been at ease until I sat in a 550 Maranello. I bought it.

I also fit in a 360 Spider but not the coupe. I fit in an Enzo. That was a surprise. Leaning in a little I fit in a Murcielago, bought that too.

aehaas

6. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Your height is only part of the equation.
    Hows even its distributed plays a part as well. Im 6.0 but long in the torso so headroom is tough for me in a 308 an even the TR. I do fit though. Really more of a question of how important comfort is to you. Lots of times you need to tilt the seat back farther than you might normally to gain headroom.

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'm 6'3" and use both a ~50mm steering wheel extension and 320mm steering wheel to improve fit. Also steering column "tilt" is manually adjusted so consider/look at that too when evaluating a particular car (i.e., sometimes the steering wheel gets tipped way up to give more legroom underneath -- which moves the top of the steering wheel even further away from the shoulders). IMO if you can place your feet, legs, and head in a decent arrangement then (on the older non-airbag models) just determine/estimate where and what size the steering wheel would need to be before saying yea or nay.

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    6'3" 230# w/ Mondial 3.2: 1 -2 " of headroom and can sit nearly upright with wide range of seatback adjustment. The steering wheel HAS adjustment for height AND reach by a chrome lever on the column (no bolts), which helps make this the most comfortable Ferrari for driver leg and arm roominess I have ever been in.
    I was in a similar situation to you - it is worth it to make a special trip to a dealer to try some on for fit.
    Good luck
    rt

9. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi

I have an '87 Testarossa and I'm 6'5" and about 250lbs, and apart from the foot well area being tight, if you have big feet like me (you have to wear tight shoes or none at all) I don't have any real problem. I do have to watch my knees getting in the way of the steering wheel, as I have long limbs and a ‘normal size’ torso, but you get use to it, I have the same problem in most cars. You'll have to practice getting in and out though and work out the best way to make yourself not look stupid doing it, especially when you can’t open the door fully. I think I have one advantage over you guys in the US, being from Australia and driving a right hand drive car the gearshift is on the left side of the center consol so it’s out of the way of my knees. The tight fit is all worth it though... it’s a Ferrari!

Steve

10. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I am 6'2" Tall and 300# . But,was only 240-250 when I bought my 308. But,I still fit fine. Ingress and degress is not as graceful,but...who cares! Once I am in my car,It fits like a nice,Italian leather Glove! My knee is "tight" between the shifter and the steering wheel,ONLY when I am in 1st.Gear.Otherwise,fine. I could put in a shorter shifter,but,really don't feel the need to. Also,there are a couple bolts that will adjust the steering wheel on my 308. I have my seat as far back,and as low,and as "Raked" back as it will go,and it's fine. Still have some headroom. I actually see that the pedals could be moved a little bit farther down in the footwell,if need be. But,right now,everything's fine. Put it in this mindset. How many NBA and NFL players have Ferrari's and other sportscars. If THEY can fit O.K.,then,anyone can. Get your car. Make the adjustments,and enjoy it!!!

11. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I found my 328 to be "tight" when I first bought it. After I got used to it, I find it comfortable.

The biggest problem was finding a way to stow the top that didn't require me to readjust all the mirrors, or leave my driving cap collecting road debris as it stuck above the windscreen. ;)

- DGS

12. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    It is the way your height and mass are distributed. I have a hard time fitting in TRs but fit in a 308GTS with the top on just fine.

13. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks to all who took the time to respond so far. I appreciate the efforts and each response added to my understanding and juggling of needs AND wants! My height is a bit loaded to the legs, with a shorter torso. I prefer to sit pretty upright and don't like the wind blowing (directly) on my head while driving. I live on the north coast of California and while we get lots of great driving days, the coastal roads tend to be cool weather wise. My favorite roadster so far had heated seats and great wind blocking from behind, but alas, I love to trade cars and experience other varieties. I do often drive barefoot during the summer and find that most exotics require slim shoes, but I did find the tr footwell extremely tight. AS suggested though, many of the first impressions can be adjusted to with time and experience of a particular car. How about 348 owners, how is the fit and how about with the top stowed behind the seats, is the fit still workable? Anyone tried the softtop option? Please keep the responses coming.