need help to replace drive gears bearing | FerrariChat

need help to replace drive gears bearing

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 82 308gtsi, May 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 82 308gtsi

82 308gtsi Rookie

May 12, 2004
    need to replace 2 set of outside/inside drive gears bearing (timing belt pulley) and the oil seal for the main shaft placed right under 2 timing belt pulleys.

The problem is that I am not able to remove the cover even after I have completely removed all the nuts & studs. I spoke with one of the sale rep. at T.rutlands. he said there are 2 more nuts inside the cover which is used to secure the oil pressure pump and they are only accessible by removing the oil panel and reach them that way.

Is it really that complicated ? Anyway. I removed all the nuts arround the oil panel. the panel did not dropped out as I expected. Seems like something is in the way. What could it be?

Anyone out there done this before? Please help!!!!

2. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I hate to break it to you, but your problem sounds just like mine. The bearings on the lower belt pullies are shot, right? Even if you get the pan off, you can't get the shafts out the side to press on the new bearings. The answer is removing the engine from the car. Then, you obviously fix all of the other things that are probably wrong with a 20+ year-old car. I was quoted 60 hours plus parts.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    1. remove dipstick tube
    2. remove oil temperature sender
    3. remove oil pan
    4. remove oil baffle
    5. reach up and remove oil pick up tube (3 bolts 10mm size, very hard)
    6. remove all studs to the bottom of the timing cover

then, in addition to what you have done, it will come out. This is not an easy job, for anyone. If there are other things you want to do with the engine, then it is better to remove it from the car.

The complete procedure has been written up by Verell and Rob Garven. Please do a search and you'll find it.

Good luck.

4. 82 308gtsi

82 308gtsi Rookie

May 12, 2004
    Thanks to all those responded. Oil pan is now removed. I can barely feel 2 bolts with my fingers, One of the bolt is totally out of reach due to limited space, no wiggle room at all.

Any special trick to get those 3 bolts out?

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    This is were you have to make up your own tool. Use a shallow 8mm 1/4 drive socket, with a flex elbow. You may have to make the 8mm socket thinner by grinding the side down. THERE ARE 3 nuts holing the pick-up tube in place. You may also have to remove the studs for the pick up tube aswell.

Much swearing will take place, so if you have kids, be sure to remove them from the area, and a prist would be handy for instant on sight confessions. :)

6. 82 308gtsi

82 308gtsi Rookie

May 12, 2004
    One crucial point,from where the studs/nuts are being removed?

Since oil pan needed to remove, is it mean that through the opened sump area I will be able to reach those nuts/studs? Hard to believe this is the way. As I mentioned before, I can barely reach them with my fingers, how is that possible to remove the studs?

Or I should remove all the studs surround the cover and maybe able to lift it high enough so that those nuts/studs become accessible?

Thanks for all the info given.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
  8. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland