360 Modena crash in Irvine! | FerrariChat

360 Modena crash in Irvine!

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Tipo815, May 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Just heard from a very good friend of mine. A very good friend of his (who I have met twice) was coming back from his office the other day/night and was going through the tunnel from the 241 to the 133 at about 140mph. Evidently the car started to push and he found himself drifting into the outer lane towards a car doing 65mph. He had no choice but to hit the brakes and once that happened he lost control of the car and hit a pole. The car ricocheted off the pole and flipped over twice and caught fire. If he had been knocked unconscious he would have died in the impending fire. Fortunately, he was conscious and was able to kick open the door as the car was burning. He is now in the hospital with 40% of his body burned and requiring skin graphs. The Modena is completely burned and charred beyond recognition. It is unrecognizable as a Ferrari. Thank God he survived! I will find out more later and will probably have pictures of the car shortly. As a fellow enthusiast I know all of us hate to hear stories like this. It makes us realize that we are not invincible even though we may often feel that way in the type of cars we own and drive. Anyway, sad to hear this but glad it did not have a worse ending.

2. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    So sorry to hear this. I wish the driver a speedy recovery.

It is so easy for us to drive into triple digets, yet can be so dangerous.....

Rick

3. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    I'm so sorry to hear about this. Hope for a speedy recovery.

by the way, may I ask the color of the 360?

BEST WISHES!!!

4. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Red. It was actually for sale and was at Phillips Auto on Coast Highway in Newport for a few weeks. He pulled it out of there last weekend to use it.

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    So sorry to hear this Jeffrey. I'm glad the car wasn't a spyder. Scary to hear this.

6. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    This is why I dont speed when I drive. No reason to...

I wish the driver a safe recovery!! Terrible accident :(

7. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Jeffrey, I was looking at that car. It was a 99 Red/Tan Daytona seats with about 15,000 miles. Very clean car but it never worked out. So sorry to hear about the driver. I wish him a speedy recovery.

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Thank god he survived? Thank god he didn't hit anyone else. I can't remember the last time I was going 85mph faster then other traffic. 30mph separated by 3 lanes of nothing in San Diego, sure, we've all been there before. Eighty-five miles per hour with other traffic nearby! E-i-g-h-t-y f-i-v-e. Say it with me.

Thank god he didn't take out David (Ferrari Boy), or Eric (Darth550's little one). Makes me want to jump right out and bring my g/f's little one Damien to meet the group because he's bonkers about cars and Ferrari's.

40% down, 60% to go next time he feels the "itch." Blast me if you want, but he was a ****ing moron. If any of you want to do this near me, so long, its been nice knowing you (or the group).

Sunny

9. TheScarletStang

TheScarletStang Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Irvine, California
    Full Name:
    Sean Salter
    Glad to see the guy is ok......when going in the triple digits reality REALLY kicks in and you either kick it aside and go for that speed or u think about it first......thats why i find it a waste of gas and sometimes life to go that fast....Keep it for the track
    Poor Modena :(

10. superyota

superyota Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Newport Beach
    So sorry to hear about this...we have all done 140 mph at one point in our lives so lets just support him for a speedy recovery.

11. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Man it is really sad to hear this. All I can say is good thing it was a Modena. Hope he heals quickly.

-David

12. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    Sh*t...that sucks. I would never go through a tunnel that fast...crazy. That car was at the auction at Nationwide. Usually they auction tax lien, repos, and I wondered who really owned it. It had Philips dealer paper plate on the back.

13. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Your right. Just the other day I was doing 140mph through a tunnel and I started to drift towards a motorcyclist in the outer lane who was doing 65mph. I hit the brakes to avoid crashing into him and lost control myself and wrecked bad. I didn't hit him, and will eventually recover, so its ok.

He has joined the ranks of the elite in the bottom right. Congratulations. Lets wish him a speedy recovery.

http://www.bts.gov/publications/national_transportation_statistics/2003/html/table_02_28.html

14. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    1) I'm glad he survived, and I hope for a speedy recovery.

2) I agree with Sunny, though. Save those kinds of speeds for the track. There are plenty of events in the socal area where you can really let your car go. Track time should be mandatory for all ferrari owners.

Dom

15. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I couldn't have said it better myself. Obviously the guy made a mistake that he will have to live with for the rest of his life (body is 40% burned). Thankfully he still has a life though.

16. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Exactly!

Although doing 100mph + speeds out in the country or desert I don't mind so much. It's just this wild driving in cities and other urban areas that strikes me as crazy and reckless.

17. silverf1modena

silverf1modena Formula Junior

I wish him a speedy recovery.

18. SAF1

SAF1 Karting

Jun 26, 2003
    OC CA & Bangkok
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I wish him speedy recovery too!

I have seen the car at Phillips. Paul was going to buy it. Nice 360. Cars can always be replaced but human can not.

Take care.

19. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    So sorry to hear about this...we have all killed someone at one point in our lives so lets just support him for a speedy recovery.

20. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    huh? Being sarcastic? :)

21. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes Jerry.

22. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    lol

Sarcasm is tough to pick up sometimes on the written word. Plus, I'm real dumb. :)

23. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    To those of you that think your cool by slamming this guy when he's down , what a bunch of prlcks. None of you were there ,you don't know what happened but it didn't stop a few of you with your holier than thou attitude. Why are you on a sportscar board if you don't drive the way Enzo had intended. He had a problem and he crashed . He didn't take out others . When That guy in Europe crashed his 360 and MURDERED his passenger because he was on a race track without appropiate gear , a bunch you guys wanted to make him a saint. The ad you guys placed in that fluff magazine took the cake. This guy also crashes ,hurts nobody but himself and you prlcks slam him . A few of you should be real proud of yourselves.

24. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    So , going 140 mph on the street is okay b/c no one else, luckily, got hurt?? You too should be real proud, because your post takes the "ridiculous hypocracy cake," once & for all. Enjoy "driving like Enzo intended." I just hope a cop gets you going a 140 before you murder someone I love.

25. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

C'mon you guys. This guy f'd up and everyone can feel his pain. It's a good lesson to us all and we're lucky no one was killed. Speedy recovery to this guy.