wanted: '78-'79 308GTS red or silver.... | FerrariChat

wanted: '78-'79 308GTS red or silver....

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by groovzilla, Nov 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    i am looking for a 78-79 GTS red/black interior. or silver/red or black interior....must be fully documented...miles up to 44k...have cash will travel.
    206-322-2657 william ceriale

2. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    How much coin are you willing to part with?

3. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    i'm willing to spend $26-$28k...no dealers..private owners
    206-322-2657

4. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Look in Hemmings on the news stand, e-bay (yes, you can get a decent car off e-bay, I did, just do some homework), autotrader, and ferrariads.com....their are a ton of good GTS cars available. Just LOOK!

5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    The Ferrari Market Letter is another good source.

6. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    William, I would be interested to find out what your idea, or anyone's for that matter, of "fully documented"...
    People tend to throw the term around, but what defines documented?
    Service records?
    Do you trust a sheet of paper, that in this day and age anyone with computer skills could manufacture?
    How many of you out there have the skill to go over a car and know the difference if the work had been performed or not?
    How many of you would buy a Ferrari sight unseen if the "paperwork" was in order?
    What about cars like my own, where the owner has the skill and performs all work. Would you buy a car that had been completely gone through by the owner if it didn't have a paper stating that a dealer did the work?

7. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    dave,

my idea of fully documented is having service records so that i am able to decipher if the car has had it's scheduled service and when the next service(belts,etc)are due...

records also come into play when selling the car of course...much value is placed on knowing that a particular car has been maintained properly

i have never heard of major services being performed by "owners" unless of course they have the hard to find specific tools...

i am a rookie at these cars but have learned alot from talking with x ferrari mechanics with 25+ years experience whom have worked locally here in seattle...

i am actively pursuing a nice 78-79 GTS...i have found a few but not the one i want to buy yet..

8. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    dave i also wanted to add that i am planning on buyers inspecting any car i purchase at a qualified ferrari authorized shop with full leakdown compression check, etc...i feel this is invaluable whether the car has service records or not..

...and to comment on a car w/o service records i agree that there are many cars out there without service records because of them being misplaced or lost...i have seen many excellent examples go thru estate sale auctions/etc and there are no records/manuals to speak of..

9. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    William, with regards to "i have never heard of major services being performed by "owners" unless of course they have the hard to find specific tools"
    I think you will find that this site is chock full of owners that do just that.
    And in reality there are very few "specific" tools...

10. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    i thought there was a special "factory only" tool to work on tranny and clutch??

11. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
  12. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    With regard to owners who complete their own service work...
    What if we provide documentation like this that would show work completed, parts used, so forth...
    Would those of you that are shopping for a Ferrari today,
    where having a car that was serviced properly is important,
    be more inclined to poo poo a car that was serviced by the owner, over the dealer.

Example

13. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    DAVES CAR IS BETTER THAN NEW!!! see the threads on his car.

14. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Yes, but I use it's power for good, not evil.

15. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    dave,

i consider your car documented...when you go to the detail of photographing the parts you have installed aren't you documenting the car...this was my point...you have part receipts..correct...isn't this documentation???

16. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    That is what I was wondering...
    If buyers feel comfortable with this form of owner doccumentation.
    I know that there are some that would not,
    and will only buy a car that was serviced at a FNA Ferrari Dealer.

17. f360racer

f360racer Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    Renton, WA
    Full Name:
    PJ Z
    Thanks for posting your documentation and progress. I will search your other threads and wish I was still at LR AFB so I could watch you work on your car and then I might attempt to work on mine.