Fun Poll: "If I couldn't live in the U.S., I'd want to move to ____" | FerrariChat

Fun Poll: "If I couldn't live in the U.S., I'd want to move to ____"

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ryalex, May 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

If I couldn't live in the U.S., I'd want to move to...

1. Canada

2. Mexico

3. Bahamas/Jamaica/U.S.V.I./Other Carribean

4. Costa Rica

5. Other Central America

6. Brasil

7. Argentina

8. Chile

9. Peru

10. Ecuador

11. Other South America

12. England

13. Scotland

14. Ireland

15. France

16. Portugal

17. Spain/Canary Is.

18. Germany

19. Italy

20. Monaco

21. Switzerland

22. Austria

23. Denmark

24. Holland

25. Sweden

26. Finland

27. Norway

28. Greece / Malta / Bosnia / Other Mediterranean

29. Other Europe

30. Israel

31. Saudi Arabia/UAE

32. Other Middle East

33. South Africa

34. Other Africa

35. India/Sri Lanka

36. Japan

37. China / Hong Kong

38. Korea

39. Phillipines

40. Thailand

41. Malaysia

42. Other Asia

43. Australia

44. New Zealand

45. Tonga/Samoa/Other Polynesia

46. Fiji / Other Micronesia

47. Russia

48. Czech Republic / Eastern Europe

49. Nepal / Bhutan / Himalaya area

50. Singapore

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Just to see other places people like enough to live there. I've tried to list a lot of countries, but if you'd like to say why you like your country or name it if it's not listed, please do so.

For non-residents, feel free to vote for your favorite country. Please no "I wouldn't want to live in the US anyway" comments.

2. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would be in Milan. It has the best looking women I have seen. Great food, and everybody I met was very nice. I can't wait to go back.

3. Zupra

Zupra F1 Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    St Louis
    Full Name:
    Chesney
  4. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    New Zealand

5. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    why can't i live in the U.S.? :( am i on the lam?

well, i think i'd be more suited to scotland/ireland/england, or maybe canada, someplace it's not stupid-hot in summer, and gets plenty of rain.

6. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
  7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Argentina bcus I have family there & know the place well
    2nd choice maybe Barcelona or Genoa maybe Cannes or Paris

Bhutan could be a great place to retire too :)

8. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    I voted Bahama's... but thats more if I could retire I suppose. As for a country to get a job and live normally... probably Switzerland or northern Italy somewhere.

9. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Hook me up with Janet Jackson and a ticket to NEVER LAND!!

PD

10. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Conan O'Brien was saying that MJ is selling Neverland, and unfortunately the buyer was the Catholic Church.

11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Several places would work for me:

New Zeland
    Northern Belgium
    Beleize
    Vancouver
    Australia

12. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I think Switzerland would be the ideal country...climate, customs,etc...but I have never been to New Zealand and those who have rave about the beautiful green countryside. I am also told South Africa is a great place to live. Never been there either.

13. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    What about WALES, it is the most beautiful part of the UK.

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    A long time ago, I asked a Pan Am pilot (remember them?) where he would go because he routinely flew all over the world. He said New Zealand in a heart beat.

But I have heard that they have recently started cracking down on sporty drivers.

15. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    1. Bangladesh

or

2. Brasil

16. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Ideal country,climate customs etc... I take it you have never been there then,I am also interested in the etc what is it?not disputing your selection in any way I am only curious why you say that as I lived in Basel for nearly 2 years.

17. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Although I put Switzerland in this poll, New Zealand was a close #2. I lived there for a year Jan-Dec 1996 and graduated high school in Hamilton on the North Island. It is an amazingly beautiful country with pleasant, down-to-earth people. Part of my life plan is to get country property there.

For reference, the climate is the inverse of the US/Canada Pacific coast: the Northern part is like SF>Oregon, going all the way to the Southern tip which is like North BC/Alaska weather.

For me the kicker that made me pick Schweiz over Aotearoa was the economic opportunities - although New Zealand has taken large strides to de-socialize economically over the past decade with great results, its location and resource base make it inconvenient for many industries (and dairy and meat is still the bulk of the economy).

If you're a retiring American, however, the USD goes VERY far down there and RE is affordable.

However, Dr. Tax is right - they have installed photo radar *everywhere,* including the countryside, unfortunately. Which is a shame because their twisty roads are a lot of fun.

Click through these posters from this famous NZ photographer: http://www.craigpotton.co.nz/Products/published/Posters/PostersNative/

_________

For me the downside to Switzerland is the social custom... very polite but not overly friendly (a typical "Northern vs. Southern" mentality argument). A good friend of mine there misses America because of the congenial and talkative people. I noticed the difference - in Switzerland if you confront them they will tell you directions, etc. and that's that... at every restaurant we went to in Italy people would lean over and start conversations with us.

18. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I vote for Bonaire or Belize.
    Bonaire has great climate, restaurants, and clear water of SCUBA.

19. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Why would you go back to Bangladesh after your story?

Is it because with your education you could be at 'the top' of the local economy (meaning you're the guy with the S600 ;-)?

20. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

I picked New Zealand, but have never been there. My graduate advisor was a professor there and loved it.

Maybe the best option would be to have a few residences if you had the $$$:
    Canada in the summer (July-Sept)
    Greece in the fall (Oct-Dec)
    Bahamas in the winter (Jan-Mar)
    Monaco in the spring (April-June)

21. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Korea --- the women there are unbelievable!

22. Bertus

Bertus Formula 3

Mar 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bert S
    Yeah, i was wondering why it wasn't on the list
    But good choice !! :)

I live in Belgium and i like it but Italy or Switserland would do it for me also

23. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Ryan, yes I would. Not becuase I would be the guy with the S600. In reality there are no places to drive there. Sure the rich have the Range Rovers and Benzes and stuff, but there are no places to drive. I would probably just have a 92 corolla and drive that. There are too many rickshaws and scooters that hit your car, and roads are too narrow anyways.

Reason I would go back probably is not logical. When I used to live there, I would always wanted to move to Brasil. I saw this one post card, where you could see the white sand and the beautiful ocean. Thus I always wanted to have a nice yatch, at retire there at like 50, and enjoy life. However, as I have gotten older, my priorities have changed and my wants have changed.

I now think that once I am about 40-45ish (and have some savings), I could go back and do some good. Third world countries are rather corrupt as you know, and foreign investments (I saw the thread on Business section, but didn't comment, as it is useless to comment, because that gentleman seems rather naive and idealistic about his goals) don't really help the country. What these countries need is inside out fixing. Meaning, the people that leave the country, if they came back and gave back, there are possibilities of the country to improve over time.

I am not idealistic enough to think that in 15 years Bangladesh will be a place where everyone can eat and live peacefully. However, I think if people like me give back, another child like me could get the opportunity and make something of themselves. Education abroad is the fad among the rich there, but it is draining the brains and leaving the country in a much worse shape than it truly is. Thus if you can go back and build the necessary infrastructure, people won't leave, and thus you can build the country block by block. My goal is not for everyone to be able to get a Ph.D. there, but so that people don't have to suffer what me or my family had to go through.

I am certainly not here to lecture on "how many hungry people a Ferrari can feed." I think Tim88 did that on some thread a while back and I feel everyone should be able to spend whatever they want to spend on. I am certainly not the moral police, and this post is not a judgement on others, but rather my personal reasoning. However, personally to me instead of buying the yatch that would only possibly help me, building a school, and teaching this kids something so that they can earn a living and buy food on their own, would satisfy me more. These people in Bangladesh shouldn't have to wait for foreign handouts, they should have resources that allow them to maintain some kind of a life standard.

What I had to go through, as you know, I would not wish upon my worst enemy. However, there is a different kind of satisfaction, knowing your hard work has helped them somehow. If I can help 10 kids not repeat my own story, I would consider my life a success, and that is why I would want to go back to Bangladesh.

As usual, I can't say anything in a few words, my advanced apologies. ;)

24. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I agree - I once wrote a paper on Indian Brain Drain, and how that diaspora of wealthy Indians in the US is now pouring hundreds of millions of $ into India now businesses and other donations. Microsoft wouldn't have gone to Hyderabad had it not been for ITT grads who came to the US and successful Indian MS employees.

I personally believe that if your #1 goal is to raise the money to build the school and help the needy, it can happen and you could still be blessed with a yacht afterward.

25. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    DAAMMMMNNN SIK.. OK... I officially revoke my request!

PD