550 owners - 250GT style rear shelf / headliner | FerrariChat

550 owners - 250GT style rear shelf / headliner

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Doody, Nov 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    gentlemen:

if any 550 owner here has the 250GT style rear shelf and/or headliner option, could you please (pretty please?) email or pm me?

thanks!
    doody.

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    actually, despite what the text in that auction says, that car doesn't have the 250GT style rear shelf (and probably not the headliner). it looks like the attached pic. and yes, it is a stellar option!

i'm looking for an owner who's willing to help me out with some measuring and pictures - i'm having this stuff fabricated since FSpA is wholly unreasonable about pricing.

doody.

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Doody,

Call Dave Freed at Premier Motorsports, here in LA, (310) 559-1562. Premier is the best body shop here and Dave is a world class gentleman. He can help you with any/everything you need or steer you in the right direction for things he does not do himself. I know he has had the 250 shelf re-created for others by his associate, Fernando.

DL

4. Woops I to now noticed that it doesnt have the option must be wrong link I seen on on Ebay witht the option. I think every 575,550 should have that it looks great, Isnt it supposed to be for the included luggage or something. ?

5. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    darth - thanks for the pointer, but i'm all set on the fabrication part of the equation. and i'm not terribly comfortable with a long-distance solution. i have a local guy who i'm incredibly comfortable with. i just need some numbers...

ferrarisalve - the quilted leather is/was unrelated to the luggage.

doody.

6. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Doody,
    My soon to be 550 has the options you mentioned. I'm planning on taking delivery of it tomorrow morning.

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Doody, I might be interested in piggy backing on your idea if ordering two will help you out on the price. Just pm me when you get close.

thx Dale

8. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Doody, interesting idea, I find the 250GT (and the headliner) absolutely gorgeous, although I wonder about the practicality: if you actually do carry objects on the rear deck, won't they slide left and right and scratch the leather ?

My car came without the option, but I'd be interested to know how much your solution costs ? Could you PM on that ?

How does your guy handle leather color matching ?

9. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Doody: keep me posted.

Darth: I might call your guy if that's ok with you. Any idea on how much he charged?

Dale: only issue I see is that you'd have to have someone local do the install. Not sure how involved that is, esp for the headliner.

--Dan

10. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    Last night I checked my car.. it has the 250 shelf but not the headliner. I actually have never looked up there. Anyone with photos of the headliner (quilted?) please post one. Thanks.

11. shelbee

shelbee Guest

12. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #13 Sfumato, Nov 29, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I saw once a 2002 550 which had the transmission tunnel also covered with 250GT-style leather, did this come as part of the headliner option ?
    Together with the rear deck, this made the car feel very plush, a bit like a Vanquish, but I agree it's close to being too much.

14. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    central tunnel would have been a full-custom jobbie. that was not offered as an option, afaik.

doody.

15. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Have you made any progress on your project ? Any pics to share ?
    Was wondering how you would handle the leather color matching.

16. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    it's progressing, just slowly. matching black shouldn't be a problem. my issue is matching the ivory/cream headliner material. the samples were mailed out to me yesterday by my leather guy.

a number of folks on the board have been helpful in getting me some photographs and measurements, with more to come. i'm hoping to have some time today to aggregate all the research thus far (THANK YOU GUYS!) and figure out what i'm missing so i can be a pest for that :).

i'm 80% sure i'm going to do the vertical wall behind the seats too. the original 250GT setup did this, and i think it'd be a nice touch. i'm NOT going to do the tunnel - that's a bit OTT for me (though i LOVE the headliner, so i'll suck that one up). and there's no precedence for the tunnel. i looked through my 250 books and didn't see anything like that, whereas the rear wall behind the seats has some historical precedent; and there was an option (heretofore unknown to me) on the 550 called "extended leather" that did that wall in leather instead of carpet apparently. whether it quilted that wall if you ordered extended leather + 250gt style leather i just dunno, but i'm probably gonna do it anyway.

it's gonna be a long-term gig. my leather guy can't work on it until probaby january - we'll likely end up flatbedding the car from winter storage up to his workshop and then back to storage - or we'll schedule it for late-winter and move it from storage to workshop and then home. we'll see how it goes. first things first.....

doody!

17. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I went through my 250 GTO books and finally found the quilted shift column. I think it looks amazing, and if they don't offer it on the 575 from the factory as an option, they should.

18. mike550

mike550 Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2003
    California - LA & SF
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Amazing is in the eye of the beholder. :) It looks like my old ski jacket in need of a pressing.

19. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Hey Doody,
    What's the latest on your rear quilted 250GT-style shelf ?
    I am getting to think that a black one would not look too bad with my interior ...
    Let us know ;-)

20. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    no new news just yet. didn't get done overwinter like i hoped it would. probably won't happen now until next winter during storage.

doody.

21. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    this thread was from some time ago...did you revive it Mr. Doody? Did you save the measurements that I sent you?

22. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    ze_shark revived it, coachi.

numerous people sent me photos and measurements - wildly useful - thank you all!

doody.