348: What's the proper RPM's level to shift gears? | FerrariChat

348: What's the proper RPM's level to shift gears?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Husker, May 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    My 348 manual says 3,000 RPM's I think it is, for best fuel economy. However, it seems like the car "lags" a bit if I shift in the 3K RPM's range. At what RPM's do you other 348 owners recommend, without being too hard on the gearbox?

2. jlm348

jlm348 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2002
    Scottsdale + LA
    Full Name:
    Jean-Louis
  3. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    When driving around town I shift around 3500-4000 rpm. The 348 seems to like that. I keep it below 3000 when cold.

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Once the car is warm, I usually shift somewhere around 4500 when I'm just driving normally. If I'm trying to have some fun, I'll shift above 6K.

All the fun (and noise) is up above 5500, IMHO.

-Daniel
    90 348ts, test pipes/Ansa, K&N.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    At anything under 75% of full power, it really doesn't matter what RPM you shift at in terms of gearbox stress and strain. Of greater import is that you shift slowly and deliberately until the box is fully warmed up (about 20 miles).

6. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    I shift between 3500 and 4000 most of the time just feels right.

7. Oblio

Oblio Karting

May 9, 2004
    Puget Sound, WA
    Full Name:
    Todd R
    G Reed tells me to run my 308 up higher. So I have been enjoying running up to 6,500. The car pulls much better up in that hp range and sounds great. the 308 redline is about 7,800 so I still have lots of room to go.

So run her a bit higher from time to time. Let those poneys run free.

8. bob348

bob348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Liege, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    the redlinde is at 7800 on the 348...when i'm driving normally I change near 4000-4500 otherwise ...7500 :)

9. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    For spirited driving, I wring the neck out of every gear... Sometimes I get lazy when entering a highway and go straight from third to fifth.
    There's plenty of torque so you really don't have to change gears that often even when driving in town.

// Peter

10. D-348

D-348 Karting

May 6, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Cochran
    When driving casually around, just enjoying the fact that you're driving the finest machine on the road, I usually shift my '94 Spider around 4000. Also, I tend to target 4000-4500 for my throttle blips on downshifting or heel-toeing it.

When attacking the road, redline's the limit. My 348 will take whatever I can throw at it and laugh.

D.

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Somewhere between BWAAAAAAA and BANG

12. jager

jager Rookie

May 15, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Full Name:
    Steve

First thing -- the gearbox doesn't care so long as you don't grind gears.

2nd thing - if you want fuel economy, why drive something so beautiful as a 348?

I recently refired my love of real cars with a 348. It had been dormant since I last raced a Ralt RT-5 and Citation Zink Z-16 nearly 25 years ago. But I think the 348 is akin to the race cars of my younger years - it sure felt that way to me, anyway. So here's what I'd do....

To drive on streets... I'd run the engine up to nearly the torque peak, which is around 5k on a 348 (experts can tell me I'm wrong if needed). Then I'd shift. For performance, run it to near the redline for max HP then shift and hope the next level is about the sweet spot on the torque curve. (In racing, you spend a lot of time matching gear ratios to engine curves for each track to get that right, sweet spot).

My original point was the that the gearbox doesn't care. I've had a lot of Hewland boxes, and they seem to say -- just don't miss shift or grind gears. The engine is the thing you're most affecting with **** points. Don't lug it with under rev's and don't torture it with over rev's.

My feel for a 348 (after a few hours of driving one -- simple, I admit) is that they want to be between 3500 and 6500 for simple street driving when they're warm. I'd do that.. in my years of racing, I never blew a gearbox, but have blown 5 engines. So listen to what the engine wants to do, and keep it happy above all else.

13. jager

jager Rookie

May 15, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Full Name:
    Steve

First thing -- the gearbox doesn't care so long as you don't grind gears.

2nd thing - if you want fuel economy, why drive something so beautiful as a 348?

I recently refired my love of real cars with a 348. It had been dormant since I last raced a Ralt RT-5 and Citation Zink Z-16 nearly 25 years ago. But I think the 348 is akin to the race cars of my younger years - it sure felt that way to me, anyway. So here's what I'd do....

To drive on streets... I'd run the engine up to nearly the torque peak, which is around 5k on a 348 (experts can tell me I'm wrong if needed). Then I'd shift. For performance, run it to near the redline for max HP then shift and hope the next level is about the sweet spot on the torque curve. (In racing, you spend a lot of time matching gear ratios to engine curves for each track to get that right, sweet spot).

My original point was the that the gearbox doesn't care. I've had a lot of Hewland boxes, and they seem to say -- just don't miss shift or grind gears. The engine is the thing you're most affecting with **** points. Don't lug it with under rev's and don't torture it with over rev's.

My feel for a 348 (after a few hours of driving one -- simple, I admit) is that they want to be between 3500 and 6500 for simple street driving when they're warm. I'd do that.. in my years of racing, I never blew a gearbox, but have blown 5 engines. So listen to what the engine wants to do, and keep it happy above all else.