308 transfer gear question | FerrariChat

308 transfer gear question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dandy_Don, May 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dandy_Don

Dandy_Don Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    The Woodlands TX
    Full Name:
    Don McCormick
    When replacing the bell housing after a clutch job, the middle transfer gear of the three (it has no shaft attached to it) fits in place on the bell housing with either side facing out. Is there a correct "outer" side to this gear or is it OK to go with either side facing out. One of the write ups on clutch removal and replacement says you need to mark the side facing out. Well of course I failed to do so and am now in doubt as to how to properly install. Your thoughts? Don

2. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Don,
    on my '81 GTSi, the part # was toward the engine.

Since it seems that the gear can go either way, whoever assembled the car could have put it either way. The important thing is to reinstall it the way it came out.

Maybe someone else can chime in.

3. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Unless there are any "tell tale" marks on the gear then there is no way of knowing. If you put it back "the wrong way" two things will happen, firstly the gear will now rotate in the opposite direction to what it was and secondly there may be some additional gear noise from the gear train.

I'm sure there are hundreds of 246's 308's and 328's that have had the transfer gear put back the wrong way and have had no side effects.

MW

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I made that mistake on mine, had a noise I never had before and the next time I was in there, I flipped it around - noise gone.

5. Dandy_Don

Dandy_Don Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    The Woodlands TX
    Full Name:
    Don McCormick
    Thanx all, looks as if I have a 50/50 chance of getting right. Don

6. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Well, maybe, if you look at it very, very carefully, you may see some "teel tale" signs. That may increase your chances to better than 50/50.