Pulling the Cats from an F40 | FerrariChat

Pulling the Cats from an F40

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by red-riot, Nov 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. red-riot

red-riot Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Looking for some perspective on replacing the Cats on my 1990 F40 (USA Version). I'm currently running with a Tubi exhaust and a very original engine configuration. The car is a street car that see light activity at club events. My dealer told me that they need to adjust the Wastegate but can't really tell me what to expect performance or sound wise.

Also can anybody recommend a good place to get the car dyno'ed in the NYC/Westchester area?

Thanks
    Jon

2. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I am not very familiar with the F40 exhaust (then again, who is?), but I would imagine the car has very high flow cats on it already. Most of today's cats do not hurt performance or hp figures that much at all (maybe 5-10hp at most). Besides that, to not have cats on your car is a US no-no thanks to all the wonderful enviromental activists. If you get caught running on the street with no cats, it is quite a large fine. So therefore, I would say leave the cats on there and save your money on replacing them with straight pipes. Hope this helps.

3. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Jon,

Reducing exhaust presure does require adjustment to the wastegate, and to be safe, addition of more fuel, though there are many F40s running with OE computers and exhaust modifications.

With less restricted exhaust, turbos will spool quicker, and, depending on air density, you'll run into the fuel cut-off at about 22-24 psig.

Stock boost is 1.1 bar, or about 16 psi.

The catalysts also quiet the engine, so it will be louder. You will not pass mandated exhaust emission standards.

The adjuster on the back of the wastegate is for fine tuning the spring preload, and most likely not be able to compensate for your intended modification.

You need the wastegate to function properly for drivability. Do not utilize your throttle foot to control boost.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

Ps, I'm sure WWoC has plenty of experience with modified F40's

4. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    RED RIOT

NO QUESTIONS ASKED...WWOC

ASK FOR JIM MURPHY, SERVICE MGR 845 425 2600 X 245 TELL HIM I SENT YA

BRUCE

5. red-riot

red-riot Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Guys, thanks that was exactly what i was hoping to find out. Is there anyway to compensate for the fuel cut-off?

WWOC is my dealer, I'm very happy with them but I have to say their pricing on parts is crazy! I got a quote of $2800 for the pipes, HGParts wants $900. I'll speak to Jim on Monday but do you think they will freak if I purchase the pipes from HG and have them do the mods? (They're quoting 8hrs. labor - most interesting to Rob's point is they are stating most of the time is necessary to modify the setting of the wastegate....)

Jon

6. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    RED

JIM IS A GREAT GUY, TELL HIM I SENT YOU AND HE WILL SPEAK TO DEAN IN THE PARTS DEPT..IF YOU STILL DONT LIKE THE PRICE YOU GETTING, CHECK ALGARS PARTS DEPT, VERY GOOD TO, AND SEE..

BRUCE