maserati image... | FerrariChat

maserati image...

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by bostonmini, May 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    interested in your comments guys, my local fcar dealer seemed to turn me onto a maserati GT coupe when I mentioned that the V8 fcars were nearing the V12s, indicating that it was the "cheap" ferrari..but I dont see it as the entry level model, but as a different type of vehicle..Obviously the purpose isnt the same as even the maranello, which would be closer than a modena, but what is your take? is this an entry level anything? I think its just a great daily driver version of a ferrari personally...but I do question whether maintanence with the chain driven engine etc is less costly?

2. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Good question. Ferrari's purchase of Maser was clearly a way to go down-market without diluting the Ferrari brand. So in this respect, it is a "poor man's ferrari" or more accurately, a "poor man's 612". Of course, any characterisation like this is largely tongue-in-cheek: $100k is still a fair bit of cash for a car. Also, when comparing both brands, both are distinctly Italian, both are pretty fast cars and harder-than-average for people to attain.

On the other hand, the Maser certainly has a distinct character and can't really be confused as a Ferrari. They have done a good job in keeping the two brands' personality noticeably different. But no need to quibble over semantics. Whatever you call, I like it.

3. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Maserati represent the ultimate Italian grand touring machine. not as raw and expressive as a Ferrari but more elegant, sublte, retrained and luxurious. i passed by the local Fcar deeler and there was a red 360 sitting next to a nuvola Coupe Gt, there intetions and customers are entirely different.

while i was lookin at the Maser i thought, wow id take in a heartbeat over the new Bmw 645 oh and the 4porte looks fabulous, very imposing

4. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    FIAT will never allow the Maserati to produce anything truly breathtaking. They want the Ferrari line to be the one to shine, and would never go for something even on the same par as Ferrari. That's really a shame.

5. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    The FIAT group has positioned Maserati as a GT marque to avoid cannibalizing Ferrari sales. This helps the Ferrari Maserati Group to build volume and long term stability without diluting the Ferrari cachet.

The Maserati with its Coupe also serves as a "feeder marque" to Ferrari, particularly the front engined models - 550/575/456/612.

As to the comment that Maserati will never be allowed to produce something breathtaking, that's not true - consider the Maserati MC12 . A more accurate statement would be that Maserati will not be allowed to overshadow Ferrari.

It is likely that Ferrari will focus on the pinnacle of motorsport - Formula 1, while Maserati will focus on GT/sports car racing - hence the MC12.

I own the Maserati Coupe, and consider it a bargain. It has similar performance, charisma, noise, style, and driving enjoyment as a a Ferrari. But at 2/3 the price with 1/2 the running costs (timing chain instead of belt). It is sort of a junior 550/456 with the character of the 550 and the carrying capacity of a 456.

Drive one and you'll see!

Best,

- Jon

6. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I like the new Maserati's, they just aren't as in your face as the Ferrari line. I think the Maserati is a great buy out there for modern Italian exotics, though I can't see the point in buying one new when they've tanked so hard on resale.

I just think if Maserati were seperate from FIAT, you would see some much more interesting cars, becoming a true competitor to the Ferrari offerings.

7. Jason

Jason Karting

Dec 1, 2001
    That may happen after Ferrari sells Maserati to VW

http://www.autoweek.com/search/search_display.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&content_code=05588671&Search_Type=STD&Search_ID=2131754&record=6

8. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    thanks guys, I must say, I just love the car as an everyday driver if it wont leave you stranded, and as Im a 6 spd guy, I would get one in a heartbeat, at first I thought it was so so, but slightly subtle beauty has me now!:) The only competitor in my eyes is the AMV8 and its a winner too...were all lucky to have these options!

9. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    If you want the GT go for it. I have a 2004 Spyder GT and find the shifting great, Would put it at least as good as Porsche which surprised me after reading many negative reviews of the GT. Not sure if Maserati just fixed the problems of the earlier models or if the reviewers just did not spend enough time in the car to get it right. Is a little different shifting than in past cars but drive it a couple of days and you get the hang of it very easily. Big reason I went for the Maserati over the Ferrari is that maintenance will be much cheaper. While under the 4 year warranty should only cost about $350-$400 a year. Also insurance much cheaper than Ferrari, My insurance is only a couple of hundred more than what I was paying for my M3.