What to look for in a 308 GT4? | FerrariChat

What to look for in a 308 GT4?

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308SomeDay, May 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308SomeDay

308SomeDay Rookie

May 11, 2004
    Amherst, NY
    Full Name:
    Craig
    When buying a 308 GT4, do the same rules apply as when looking at a 308 GTB/GTS? Same problems? Same trouble spots? Anything model specific I should know?

I've been waiting a long time to get into a Ferrari, and there are GT4s in my price range which would leave me ample reserve in my budget to fund repairs and services.

Thanks!

2. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Basically the same as GTB/S cars. Probably the biggest difference is in rust locations, which varies a bit because of the different body. But come to think of it, most rust problem areas are similar: doors, rocker panels, anywhere around wheel wells, trunk area.

Another issue is that GT4s are possibly neglected a bit more, maintenance-wise.

Also, consider age. Most GT4s are considerably older than GTB/S cars, so can have more problems with hoses, seals, weatherstripping, seats, etc., etc.

Get a real competent PPI and you should be good to go.

Being dirt simple, a GT4 is a great car for the DIY'er. Mechanically, it looks like Fred Flintstone built it.

3. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Forza magazine had a decent buyers guide a few years ago (Issue #7, 1997).

Also, if you want to learn more regarding specs, trim, photos, etc., the Original Ferrari V8 book, by Keith Bluemel is a great place to start.

Also, do a search on the archives on this site, lots of info.

I agree with Hans, a good PPI is a must.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Dom

4. Tom S

Tom S Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2003
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Thomas Saupe
    If the car has a sunroof check very carefully around the sliders for rust. Also check the seals around the sliding roof. Check for the smell of fuel. The hoses which run between the carbs are often the first to show signs of leaking. As everyone always says, get a good PPI before money changes hands. As Dom said, alot of these cars have been abused by folks who could afford the car but not the upkeep. Beware of the previous owner's defered maintenance. GT4s are great cars, good luck inthe hunt!

5. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    BTW, I use mine as a daily driver. Often I'll have to 'force' some miles on it just to get it up to operating temp, tho.

6. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Another sunroof "watch out" is check the drains (true in sunroof cars of any make). On a GT4 there are 6 drains.

A pillars, they end inside the frt. wheelwells.

B pillars, they dump into the area between the door and rear wheel and rely on the rocker panel drain holes. VERY BAD design

C pillars, they follow the round tube frame that comes down the sailpanel and ends near the coils (left) and expansion tank (right).

Blocked or missing drain lines mean water in the headliner and additional opportunities for rust.

7. 308SomeDay

308SomeDay Rookie

May 11, 2004
    Amherst, NY
    Full Name:
    Craig
    This car in particular doesn't have a sunroof, so that's all good, and I wouldn't even think about buying a Ferrari without a thorough inspection. Good stuff, thanks!