Range Rover or Cayenne? | FerrariChat

Range Rover or Cayenne?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by storminnormin, Nov 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. storminnormin

storminnormin Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2002
    California
    I'm contemplating purchasing one of these within the week.
    The RR is more luxurious with better quality interior materials. Power is acceptable. The Cayenne has better driving dynamics, but I don't like the looks as much. I suspect reliability would be similar for both. The funny thing is much of the switchgear in the RR is from BMW. I don't want to buy an X5 cause I'm getting rid of mine for the new SUV, and I don't like the MB ML or G series.
    Any comments, guys?

2. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I'd go with the RR. I don't really like the looks of the Cayenne. The Range also seems to be better appointed. I was considering the G, Cayenne, and RR a while back, and went with the G. If I had to do it over again, I would probably go with the RR.

3. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The Rover is bigger and in my opinion more comfortable. Unless you are talking about the Turbo, I would go with the Rover. Awesome interior.

4. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
  5. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    03 range rover, pure class.
    porsche, its O.K.

6. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Apparantly Porsche can't sell all the Cayennes they've imported so you could pick up a fantastic deal. Might be worth shopping around.
    Cayenne is a better drive, RR more style and luxury

Your call.

7. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Range rover 03 model all day and im not saying that because they make them 30 miles from me,x5 good power good on the bends for the type of car,interior could do better,RR power good but it is slightly heaver than a x5,interior best in the market,ML well no ta driven a few and you can see the price difference,cayennes havent had the pleasure except for sitting in a few,go well but its that interior,
    Just got one complaint about the RR whished theyed put the ingnition switch somwhere else,its like a dam saab-well vauxhall now,
    cheers
    Dale.

8. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    If you're stuck between the two then definitely the Rover, but you ought to check out the G55 or G500!!!

9. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Cayenne Turbo. No contest. Norman, you're a driver, don't fool yourself!

I went through this predicament while deciding on an SUV for our house in Boston. Cayenne Turbo definitely beat everything out by a wide margin. Go drive them, I think you'll agree. I'm getting one sometime this winter whenever I make it to Massachusetts.

The styling is, of course, completely up to you. I liked the Porsche interior better, but maybe it just feels more familiar to me (as an ex Porsche owner). My wife liked the Porsche more also.

Kuzi has a RR. Jim G. has a Cayenne. Give them a shout and see what their 2 cents are too! Either one is a good choice. Whatever you do don't get a Hummer H2 UNLESS you want to go really slow! OK, OK, they're not THAT bad. :)

Cheers

10. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Kuzi has an '03 G55 now, too! Thing is wicked!!

11. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    HAHAHA!! Kuzi and his toys! Good for him! HAHAHAHA!!

Cheers

12. storminnormin

Jul 31, 2002
    California
    I know!! Kuzi just told me about his G55. What a stud. It seems like most are leaning towards the RR as I was, but to complete my due diligence (and because I like test driving fast cars!) I shall explore the Cayenne Turbo. I saw in Autoweek somebody was discounting the turbo to $85k. Hmmmm.

13. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Both vehicles are great in their own respective ways, but one thing to keep in mind is the horrible depreciation of the Cayenne. Its values are dropping like bricks. Another thing to look out for is the fact that RR is switching all components over the Ford soon, so replacement parts for the current RR may be hard to come by in the future. Styling wise, I would say Range all the way, but the Cayenne Turbo is very quick for a SUV (raced a couple and they stayed pretty even with my M5).

14. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Get the Cayenne. It's not as luxurious, but it is pretty luxurious inside. It's really comfortable. If you get the Cayenne S, I suggest you get the Air Suspension. It's standard on the Turbo and a pretty rare option on the S, but it's worth it, I think. 4 zone climate control is NOT standard on the Turbo, which a lot of people get mad about since it's a 90K dollar car. But, honestly, the Cayenne all in all is exciting, comfortable, and fun. The Turbo is obviously also super fast. My only experience is with the Cayenne S, and I can tell you that it's great. RR is boring by comparison.

15. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Cayenne Turbo lapped Porsche's test track faster than the Carrera 2. :)

C'mon Norman! You know you want to smoke those fools in their sports cars when they look at you like an anomaly for driving a big, slow, hulking, overweight, lumbering, SUV. :) That's why I want one. Hehehe.

Cheers

16. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Get a Range Rover in dark metallic red or black. Noth' classier in the SUV market. Theres a 3rd row seat for sale on eBay, but if your concerned about People-Hauling (I bet not) your in the wrong market.
    Despite its weight the RR has quite acceptable driving dynamics, passing is NOT a problem with the BMW engine!
    Just my two cents.

17. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I have a 03, Love it to death! If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

18. storminnormin

Jul 31, 2002
    California
    Actually this morning I got to drive the Cayenne S and the Range Rover. Not surprisingly the Cayenne's driving dynamics were excellent, especially when you consider the weight and high center of gravity. However, I found the seats to be surprisingly uncomfortable. And of course the interior materials left much to be desired. The Range Rover handled decently, better than one would have thought. Interior materials were far better. The layout is much classier. Sitting in the cayenne you feel like you are in just another SUV. Sitting in the RR you feel like you are in an elegant drawing room with cool furniture. Esthetically I like the RR much better. So...... I'll probably make my decision tonight and pull the trigger tomorrow.

19. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i just posted this question few weeks ago as im giving wife surprise bday present replacement for 02 discovery. turbo p is nice but not worth the extra 500$/month lease difference. i think she'll like status/luxury of rr over acceleration of p turbo anyway. picking up her blue with light tan/blue pipping rr in 2 weeks.

20. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    You're not gonna be blazing down 19th in this thing. Go for the ergonomics, class, quality and feel: RR wins 4/4.

--Dan

21. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Range. Without question.

22. storminnormin

Jul 31, 2002
    California
    I picked up the Range Rover this afternoon. Adriatic Blue with tan and piping. Love it already. Not as fast as the cayenne, but everything else more than makes up for it. Great sound system. We'll have to go cruising, Dan!!! The dealership sells Lamborghini's too!! I got to sit in the gallardo and Murcielago. First time in either! Too cool. Suberb service from BMC in SF, something I'm big on.

23. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Norm: So glad you went with that instead of the black/black. I *told* you blue/tan+piping is the hot stuff. What wood?

for service, talk to Doug Campbell at BMC. You can mention me. He's a stand-up guy and their service is the tops.

--Dan

PS: BMW is really expanding. Aston, Jag, Bentley, Rolls, Lambo, Range. Pretty impressive given their buildings. The second building will give them much-needed space, but I was mipressed at how much they packed into the first one.

24. storminnormin

Jul 31, 2002
    California
    Boba,
    Did you know BMC recently acquired the Lotus franchise a few months ago? Good thing too. Those guys down at Boardwalk were ruining the marque. My sales person said they weren't able to get the Aston franchise though. It went to someone in Marin. Strange since Jaguar and Land Rover are in Ford's PAG. You'd think they'd try to keep it all under one roof.

Dark wood. I love driving this thing. It's so high up. Visibility is superb. So stately.

25. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Norm: will call you tomorrow about the whole thing. Am thinking I might do the same. Needed an excuse, this is a good one.

--Dan