Advice - 355 vs 550 - sorry I need to ask again | FerrariChat

Advice - 355 vs 550 - sorry I need to ask again

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by basher, May 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. basher

basher Karting

Jan 19, 2004
    Full Name:
    Fraser B
    I have a great 355 spider...she has given me no hassles and sounds wonderful. She has no cats a tubi exhaust a Gruppe M induction unit and goes like stink. It is the best looking sounding handling fun car i have ever owned.......however I keep getting drawn to pictures of the 550..... to the luxury of its interior...the svelte design....the draw of the car has amazed me....and I find myself drawing up two lists - one for both car and trying to make a decision one way or another.....black / tdf blue with cream 550 versus red with cream 355 spider.....am i being a mug?? Are there any owners of 550's out there who have had 355's and can tell me that i am not nuts to think / do this ?? I need therapy guys...sorry but I am at one of those crossroadds where I need to get a map out and check......

Plus it is going to involve an extra wedge of cash so I dont want to step in step back out and lose £20k in the process if i find myself regretting my choice...

It goes without saying that a tubi would be the first addition

2. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    I remember we had a thread about this before and kind of concluded that it comes down to 'how old you feel'. The 355 Spider is good for show-offs (Like me) being instantly recognisable as a Ferrari. The 550 is way more understated - some chicks don't even know its a Ferrari when they see it.

I agree with the luxury thing and I love the 550 esp in TDF... but basically are you ready to grow up???

Ade

3. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I agree with Ade- the 550 is a car I'd have if I drove long distances in my Ferrari. I suspect the 550 would not thrill in the same way.

I was taken for a spin in a tweaked up 550 with straight through exhausts, and special suspension, airbox, rechip etc. It was a great car; v fast, sounded great and no doubt would be a great drive. However, it was a ride in a de-catted 355 on the same day which has stuck in my mind.

Nonetheless, I have an article by Phil Hill, where he says the 550 is the greatest road car that Ferrari has ever made (but that was in '96), and Evo mag recently said it is their favourite drivers car of the decade (against 911 GT3 etc, so high praise indeed).

You can't really lose, but IMO the 550 is a more 'grown up' Ferrari. Any way you could rent one or something just to really get a feel of it?

Robert.

4. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I think Basher is asking a different question to what they feel like to drive. The only person I know who's gone from a 355 to a 550 is Frostie; I don't ever recall him saying that he missed the 355.

Haven't had a 355 or a 550, but I do have a V8 and a V12 to compare with one another. They are completely different beasts as everyone points out. What the V8s do best is adrenaline (with a touch of cortisol); the experience is 'spiky' and intense, and you get a sensation of speed and light weight. The V12s on the other hand are more of a rounded, even experience- it's an endorphin hit. You get more of a feeling of contentment and of life being very agreeable. They feel much heavier and you don't get the same sensation of speed. It will probably feel slower until you recalibrate. I personally don't buy this 'Grand Tourer' crap; I think it's folk being brainwashed by stuff they read in magazines, or not being aware of how fast they're travelling. Round my local B roads there's very little in it.

Deep down I reckon I'm a V12 man. I like the way they make me feel, and they're well screwed together and robust. They do lots of things very well. The V8s are a great driving hit, but seem a bit flimsy and one-dimensional in comparison.

FWIW!

Kevin