MPG for DINOS? | FerrariChat

MPG for DINOS?

Discussion in '206/246' started by need4speed, May 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Hi Fellow Dino owners,

I was just curious what others get as far as fuel economy with their Dinos.
    I get 18-19 mpg with freeway driving. I thought with a small V6, I'd do better.

Thanks,

Manny

2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You Forgot, You Have Webers!They SUCK.
    And its MPS not MPG
    Miles per Smiles

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

1st 500 miles with basically a new engine, about 1/2 around town, 1/2 highway, all going a little faster than the local police would like and having way too much fun to care, I'm getting about 14-15 mpg on 93 octane.

I have a little hotter than stock setup. 10:1 compression, slightly tweaked engine, so, maybe that's costing me a mile or two per gallon.

I'm making a trip this weekend, all highway, I'll report back when I return about the highway mpg.

4. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    93 octane on 10:1 compression ratio?! You're lucky nothing serious has happened until now.

I get 11 mpg on the Stratos with a full Group 4 engine conversion:
    10.5:1 compression
    wild cams
    44 IDF
    widened ports
    big valves

And the Stratos weights a lot less than the 246...

5. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Hardened seats, new guides, valves 93mm pistons at 10.0:1. 93-94 octane, occasional 1/2 tank of 100 octane lead free Sunoco, and no problem. So, you're right, I'm probably running about 95 octane.

Mechanics at Algar were confident that we'd be a-ok, and so far, we are. No knocks, pings, etc. and engine is extremely strong, revs to 8K no problem, which is a small problem. I'm still learning the engine and watching the tach a lot to avoid over revving.

6. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    I hope you changed the antique Dinoplex...the improvement with modern ignition systems is tremendous.

My engine outputs just over 250bhp.

7. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

We're running some 20 year old elecronic unit.

I'm planning on going to the Electromotive HPX system within the next two or three months.

8. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Dave,

I'd be very interested in how that swap works for you.

Thanks for the feedback guys,

Manny

9. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'll post a thread showing the install as it progresses.

10. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    I went for the Bosch Super 4 system and I'm very satisfied. The engine will pull cleanly to more than 8000RPM. I think this system has an unbeatable price/performance ratio.

Alternatively you could also consider MSD as their systems are among the very best but at a serious price premium and are mainly interesting if you have the capability to program them yourself.

Cheers,

11. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

can you provide details on this system. A google search just turns up spark plugs, no ignition systems.

When did you get it? Where? Etc.

thanks,

Dave

12. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    I bought it here:
    http://www.superformance.co.uk/parts/dino2/ignitionelectric2k3.htm

It requires a 3 lobe distributor cam (instead of the 6 lobe originally mounted).
    It uses the points much less than the original system hence you can expect 4x their normal life.

I fitted it about 6 months ago and it's not a job I would do myself as it requires a very knowledgeable Dino mechanic, as long as you have one no problem.

This system provides some kind of anti-theft feature as it features a key to switch the ignition off...highly recommended for the money.

13. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Does it have variable settings for the timing? Can you set one level for idle, another to 3K and a third above 3K? or does it just provide a one timing fits all kid of solution?

And yes, I have a very good mechanic, so install should be no problem.

thanks again,

Dave

14. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    As I understand it, it has an advance setting for idle and then is mapped for the rest of the rev range once and for all. It works pretty well and, frankly, on a wild engine such as mine I have not experienced any problems.
    The MSD ignition systems will allow custom mappings but you will need to map them on the dyno. They're at another price range and a bit "too modern" for my liking. I race my car and inspectors don't like to see modern equipment, such as MSD, on vintage cars. I'm sure that with the MSD you can go one step further though.

15. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    What type electronic ignition do you use and what is better about it? Do you have a competition gearbox?

16. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I didn't scroll down far enough before posting. Electronic system sounds good.

17. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    That's a future plan, the standard E-type Dino box will handle 300bhp and 30kgm of torque without problems. I only use Goetze syncrhos as an upgrade for the moment and have 2 complete extra boxes as spares just in case.

As I'm converting the car to complete group 4 spec and have spent unimaginable amounts of cash already I will take care of the gearbox at the end. I have however mounted a group 4 varialbe ratio cascade gear system.

A group 4 gearbox goes for 50K US...

18. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    How have you mounted the variable drop gears? They are made to fit on the GR4 gearbox shafts which are different than the standard Dino E box as the gears are retained by special washers and circlips for easy removal as opposed to the retaining nuts used on the standard Dino box. Also the clutch shaft is different from a standard Dino with the same circlip arrangement. I have a couple of competiton gearboxes but would like to do the changeable gears on a standard gearbox too. Have you found many drop gears?

Randle

19. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    Sorry for the thread highjack but here goes:

I use a group 4 clutch shaft, a group 4 cascade gear cover and an early group 4 cascade gear set. The upper gear is standard group 4 so is the middle double gear. The lower gear in the early group 4 cars used the normal gearbox shaft so the lower gear fits the Stradale box.
    I have 2 sets of gears, 1 will go to around 200km/h at 8000RPM, the other to around 170km/h at the same RPM. Sourcing early group 4 drop gears is more difficult than sourcing later ones.

20. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Time to slide back on topic.

Just got 18.3 mpg on a highway run at about 70-80 mph. over about 150 miles.

21. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The owner's manual of a 246 GT says 20 MPG...

22. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yo, does the owner's manual have a detailed picture of the door panel?

23. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Oops, dude, what i'm looking at appears to be uso e manutenzione - the operating, maintenance and service handbook... However, yes, they have a picture of the interior door panel... How detailed do you need it to be...?

EDIT: Hey, cool, 13,000 posts... :) At least it was used trying to help someone and not "LOLing" as a lot of people seem to complain about... :)

24. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Trying to figure out how the door panel was originally affixed to the door.

My old panels have clips and exterior screws that are showing on the outside of the panel.

I need to know if the screws are original equip, or a fix one of the previos owners did.

thanks.

25. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Um... Ok... Let me poke around a bit and see what i can find...