Jones vs Tarver | FerrariChat

Jones vs Tarver

Discussion in 'Sports' started by alanhenson, May 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Who else is stunned by the KO of Roy Jones. The greatest athlete alive. He got cought completely off guard. He has only been knocked down twice in like 17 years, including the Olympics. I thought the ref should have let hi fight. Roy can dogde punches better than anyone in boxing. Going to be a great rematch though. Roy will be ready to avenge his loss, and we all know what happened the last time he avenged a loss.

2. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I cannot beleive Jones got KOed. I missed the fight, but will try to catch a rerun on HBO sports this week. From what I have read, Jonbes controlled the fight until he missed with the left hook? My congratulations to Tarvey for making the most of his oppurtunity. Too bad there is no one else left to fight in the middle weight division. A rematch will definately be in the works IMHO.

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Boxing is a JOKE! It is worse than wrestling. At least the WWF, etc. doesn't try to make anyone think the outcomes aren't fixed.

DL

4. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Did you see the fight? that was a very real knock out.

5. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    unbelievable

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I couldn't have cared less if he chewed of Jones' ears.

DL

7. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Alan,

I didn't catch the fight, but heard Charles Barkley talking about on the NBA show on TNT. I have lost some interest in boxing since Mike Tyson went out.

However, I think Michael Jordan is the greatest athlete alive. :)

8. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Roy is from my hometown so it's been a huge thing around here with his knockout. I was watching the fight at a party and turned my head for just one second. When I looked back I saw his name on his trunks as he was on the ground. The whole room I was in fell silent and everyone just stared. You cannot take anything away from Tarver. He won the fight with a good solid knockout but to compare the two careers of these guys and say that Tarver is the better fighter is crazy. Boxing has that one factor of no matter who you are or how good you are you can always get stuck with that one good punch and the show is over. So to me that is simply what it is. Roy got caught with one punch that knocked him out. However to have fought so many fights and that be only the second time in his career to be knocked out says all for me. Pensacola loves him more than anybody that lives here. There is a big welcome back party planned and I am sure it will be huge.

9. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Not sure if father time has caught up with Roy or whether his unbridled arrogance has finally done him in.Altho arguably one of the best pound for pound fighters in the history of boxing the big disclaimer against him is his choice of top rated opponents.
    Would have to rank him significantly below Sugar Ray Robinson and in today's game below Bernard Hopkins.Still he is one hell of an athlete.

10. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Below Bernard Hopkins, you must be crazy. Think about this for a second. 15 years and only 1 real loss. The first loss was just a disqualification due to low a low blow by Roy. He then knocked the guy out in a minute or two in the rematch. Roy has only lost a handfull of rounds in the last 5 years. He wins almost every round in every fight. No one else or nt many in the history of boxing can say that.

11. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Jordan was great but he was only a the top of his sport for half of the years Roy has been. If Roy fought Tyson hat would fun to watch. Tyson would get killed but it would be fun to watch.

12. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Yes, it is critical to realize that the key element that jones has is his speed, and at 35...its not what it used to be...still incredible, but I believe would have allowed him to dispatch tarver more quickly 5-7 years ago. His post fight comment may be testament to this notion....

13. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002

Roy's first disqualification actually was not due to a low blow. He had already knocked the guy down and as he started to get up Roy popped him two more times just for good measure. It was wrong for Roy to do but he had already beat the guy bad.

14. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Ahh, thank you. It's been so long since he lost i forgot what happened. And you guys have to admit that at 35 he is still faster than everone near his weight class. What were his post fight comments? I was in a titty bar that did not play the audio. Any replay on HBO? I have not seen it.

15. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    HBO is going to replay it. He handled it well and didn't make any excuses. I really don't think it bothered him too much. It was really just a good lucky punch. Larry Merchant of course made him watch the replay but Jones didn't really dodge anything. He did say that he was not really interested in fighting Tarver again but he would have to see. Then it showed him in his locker room being hugged by all his boys but I was at a party and couldn't hear exactly what was said. He's still the man in my book.

16. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Yeah he is still the best boxer out there. He has to fight Tarver again though. 1-1. We need the finish. It was obvious, Roy was winning the fight though. That ref really pissed me off.

17. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto

Ummm... sorry... its 2-0 Tarver so far....

Ernesto

18. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Uh no. Jones won the first fight.

19. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    Yeah, right... LOL... He "got" the decision... lets just put it that way....

Ernesto

20. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    yeah, that's how you win unless you knock someone out.

21. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    LOL

22. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I know what you are saying though. He definately should have won the first fight in a more convincing fashion. I do still think he won though. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.