Weird Horn problem | FerrariChat

Weird Horn problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by kdross, May 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The horn in my 308QV is giving me some problems. It use to work fine, however, now it will only work after holding the horn button down for a good 30 seconds. During the 30 seconds of no noise, I hear the compressor running, but there is no sound. What is wrong? Do I need a new compressor? Also, I may have filled the oil level too high. To fill the oil, I removed the top lid and poored 3-1 oil in the top of the compressor. Is there a specific location the oil goes, or do I just put it everywhere inside? Also, how much oil do I need? When I filled the oil I filled the compressor to the top.

Thanks

2. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    The vanes are probably sticking, my 308 did the same thing, open the compressor, clean & oil the vanes & slots.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    "...filled the compressor to the top." -- just a "few drops of oil" should be added occasionally (see the bottom of page 22 in your OM). You really don't want the oil exiting the discharge port, pooling in the lines, or fouling the noise-maker. Pull the line off the discharge port for a look (but based on your description you'll need to disassemble and drain stuff)...

4. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I had the same problem on my replicar which also had the FIAM air horns. I've had the car 8 years but after about 5 or 6 they were slower to sound and did just what you described. They responded well to oil the first year this was tried, then the second time when it was tried again it didn't help anymore so I just bought new horns.

When I installed them I began with the trumpets and that helped a lot, but when I changed the compressor I was absolutely blown away with how loud they were. I started to wonder if maybe I should have tried just swapping out the compressor first. You might consider that and see how it goes.

They do sound great though, don't they!

Best!
    Wes

5. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Thanks for the info guys. What and where are the vanes? Also, do the trumpets go bad or just the compressor. I have an entire horn unit from Algar, but the trumpets are plastic. My car has the original metal trumpets which I am told sound better than the new plastic ones. If possible, I would like to keep the original metal trumpets.

Ken

6. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Ken,

It is easy. Just unbolt the old compressor, install a new FIAMM (about $40), and hook the air from the compressor to the stock horns. i GUESS you could use the new horn diaphragms as well and keep the stock horns too, but not sure as have not done that. It is all VERY straight forward and easy.

And yes, keep the metal horns!!!!!!!!

7. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    A few years ago I had a similar horn problem on my 328. It turned out to be the air supply tubing had hardened and kinked at one point = no air to the horns. I replaced the plastic air supply tubing and all was well. I'm not sure if your 308QV horns are set up the same as the 328 - but worth a look for something that simple and cheap to fix.

8. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    I must say... This is the first time I've ever heard of a horn needing maintanence... But then again... It is a Ferrari :)

9. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Yes, 308 also have an air hose from compressor to the horns.

10. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Well, we ARE referring to a nearly TWO DECADE old car. Nearly any car of that age will find things needing attention.

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Ken,
    If you really put as much oil in the compressor as I suspect, you may need to remove the entire system, and give it a thorough cleaning (draining?) with some electrical contact cleaner to clean out all that oil....that much oil could really gum up the works...esp. the trumpets.

Dave