LAfun2, its time to drop the specs | FerrariChat

LAfun2, its time to drop the specs

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Auraraptor, May 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Some fchatters know of your SC...can you share with us some details about the car? I am eager to see the 10k+ rims on the car, as well as hp and troque figures.

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    LOL Omar. I don't see how it is really relevant here, as I could do this over PM or email with you, but here goes.

I have a 25 page paper due tomorrow (Friday) in SF at 11am. It is currently 1:36am PST, and I will be driving from LA to SF at 5:40am. Becuase of computer problems (see other thread in Off Topic). I am currently only on page 16, so I will make this short.

Car is a 1999 Sc300. It is known as the Soarer in Japan and AUS. In the US it comes equipped with a 3.0 liter I-6 motor that is shared with the IS300 and the GS300 and Supra non turbo models. THis is my second SC. I had a 92 model before. Car is pearl white in color, with no exterior mods except for HKS dual mufflers, wheels, and suspension lowering.

I bought the car with 11K miles. I have since put 78K trouble free miles on the car, and 41K of those have come with a turbo setup. It is currently equipped with T88 turbo, and is putting down 614.2HP and 635lb-ft of torque. It is running a 6 speed supra tranny swap, and full Tein adjustable suspension. I have talked to member PSK over PM extensively as to why I would lower such a car, and in essence it is to improve handling. As far as rims go, the car has 4 sets of rims currently. Chiaro_Slag will attest to my rim whoreness on my other cars, and my fetish for wheels. Aside from the original horrendous chrome 5 spoke 16 inch wheels, I have a set Fiske Fm5s running 295s in rear, with no fender modifications. I also have brushed centerd, polished lip (4.25 inch rear, 2.75 front) set of HREs that in 19s that I tend to run at times. Currenly it is sitting on set of 18 inch blitz 03 wheels imported from Japan on the last shipment of cars I recevied. Those wheels seem to fit the profile the best, and has minimal rubbing.

Car has stock stereo onthe interior, stock seats, albeit has a set of harness. Everything else has been left stock (sorry no DVD or playstation or whatever kids use these days).

The turbo idea came from my last car, which as a fully built ZC equipped t3/t4 hybrid turbo powered crx. The Crx was running 11s at LACR (Los Angeles County raceway). It is black with 1992 blitz rims (7 sets in the US).

If any of you are in the LA area, I am at LACR pretty much every friday night running my cars. I have just helped my friend built a fully turbo charged toyota tacoma truck. Don't ask, he wanted to be different. The truck ran a 13.1 on its first pass, before we do any tuning on it. It is a 2.4L, auto!

Thats all for now, paper time.

3. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Thanks so much! That car is very impressive!

The only reason I made this post was because I just thought others on the site that may be interested should also know, so I made a post of it. The SC is my favorite Lexus....in fact the only Lexus I like (I am a Honda man more myself).

4. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I just re-read my intial post, I am sorry if I came across as, well, a **** trying to show what cars you have. That was not the intention, at all, but it was rather late as you can see from the post time. I really just did want to know the details and figured hey other members might want to as well.

Sorry for the confusion if any, I appologize. :(

5. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Thanks Omar. I agree the SC is the only lexus that I like. I do have a few honda cars, and have been a honda guy for many years, though their lack of torque drives me away. The new LS430 is growing on me. I would get a full Wald Kit, and some 19inch HRE's, and that would be a nice office car.

No apologies necessary. :)

6. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #6 Auraraptor, May 16, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Stay away trust me! I drove a few of the newer offerings and trust me, I would rather not repeat that. Sure the fit is nice. (IMO I dislike the finish and stylings) But the feel is that of a sofa, and drivetrain reeks of underdeveloped junk. If I was into a large sedan, I would go with the last year of the old 7 series. (2001 BMW 750iL) It can be had for like 30k-35k with low miles, and is better in EVERY regard to the LS. (Based on experiance) It is also the last of the true German tank-like sturdy sedans with wonderful fit and finish.

I mean, how can you say no to this?!? (pic)

PS how did the paper turn out?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

The paper went well. I had to wake up in the AM, drive 350 miles, turn the paper in, pack up some stuff in the car, and drive back. The driving wasn't much fun, since it was a Friday, and the roads were crawling with Highway Patrols. But I hope to get a 4.0 this semester, so all is well. :)

Currently enjoying the beautiful 75 degree weather here. Lounging around, and watching NBA all day. Life is pretty good ;)

As far as the LS430, and all other L sedans, you are right, the suspension leaves a LOT to be desired. However quality wise the L sedan is much better than the new bangled bmw and the trouble prone S classes.

I agree with your assessment of the last generation 750iL. It is one of the nicest designed cars out there and I remember seeing it in the transporter (though that was a manual 735).

I think if you get a LS430 put about 10K in suspension mods, you would have the japanese quality with the european tautness.

I am still debating, and am not ready to puchase anything soon, but the VIP crowd is fun to mix into. ;)

8. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    If I recall from that movie during the behind the scenes, they said it was a 750i (euro) that they used...

9. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

My dvd did not have the behind the scenes, but I was intrigued right away when I saw him rowing the gears in the 7 series, as US 7s are sadly Autos.

In the movie dialogue they mention couple of times that it is a 735, but you could be right about the actual car itself. :)

10. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Also that reminds me, A few 750 owners have dropped in the ///M5 trany.

Funny thing is, with just the manual 6spd, the car's 0-60 went from 6.5-6.8 to 5.2-5.5...

I would do it myself if the clutch feel was better on the ///M5 (its that springy honda type that gives little feel IMO. It scares the **** out of me to rev an engine to get of the line, and these types need it to get going in any real sense if you know what I mean.

11. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

My friend had a 540 six speed, and that car had a rather heavy pedal feel. (It was the 94 model with separate quad headlights). It had the M suspension, so that car felt good.

I think if I ever got a 7 series, I wouldn't swap the tranny, as it is more of a Opera car, and the auto fits it.

I would love to get a 540 wagon, do a M5 motor/tranny swap, light lowering, and some nice wheels. Silver or white please :D

12. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Apparently its only the M5 right now with this feel...the others still have the nice feel. Apparently, the swaps are not supposed to be that hard to do as told to me by a tech...

13. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Motor Trend couple years back tested a Wagon, with a full M swap. It is not hard, as lots of the younger honda guys, who are graduating into the 3series, are doing it. They are buying the 325s and swapping in the M3 stuff.

Not that hard. :)