Top Gear | FerrariChat

Top Gear

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Davey S1, May 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Davey S1

Davey S1 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Cardiff, Wales
    Full Name:
    David
    Not as good as last weeks but still worth watching.

Didnt think much of the hypnotism but Paul McKenna's faces during his lap was class.

The Mac / Merc SLR was simply devastating. To take 3 seconds off a Murcielago was phenomenal. And the noise!

Still wouldnt buy one though. For that money I would rather a 575 and 360 Spyder for the weekends.

2. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I was invited to the filming of this weeks TG but other commitments meant I couldnot go, and after hearing about the TG worst cars I did not feel to favourable towards Mr. Clarkson. Then he goes and confuses me all over again with his glowing report on the Alfa (166). I love Alfa's almost as much as my Fcar, now I don't feel quite so bad about him.

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Aside from SLRMerc, i thought the prog was pants.....too good to be true it would live up to first show.

4. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    I have to agree,the hypnotism bit was to much,but my Children enjoyed it so they might be catering to the future "viewers"
    Dave

5. Steve_nero

Steve_nero Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I hate Top Gear. Clarkson and his mates are pompous gits, his sarcastic style is so repetitive and last night I thought they all came across as racists idiots.

However, I couldn't switch it off because I like seeing the cars so I think next week I'll have to try it with the sound off.

6. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Does anyone really believe the hypnotism part? I don't doubt that hypnotic suggestion is a bona fide phenomenon, but somehow I feel a little cynical about yesterdays display. Mind you....

....look into my eye, look into my eye, not around my eye, but into my eye, you are under...... go to Verdi and buy Stiggys car..... and 3, 2, 1, you are back in the room.....

.....I've just has a thought. This months TG mag has a comparative review of all the Lotus Elise variants. Their testdrive is some geezer who has been racing for donkeys years and who's career has skirted around F1 in the late 80s/early 90s. Could this be the current "Stig"? (the name is in quotes because his is a taken name, and mine was given. Charlatan!)?

7. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    if you dont like it dont watch it i dont. it was still daylight so i had the red beast out [lawnmower] adjusting the throttle cable for more revs it was great it cut the grass then i had to bag it all up and all you sad gits watched something you dont like get a life cut the grass [do tubi make lawnmower exhaust systems] if they did i might take up grass cutting what a life ferrari towbar trailer lawnmowers with tubis

8. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Did anybody tape the program ?

9. Davey S1

Davey S1 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Cardiff, Wales
    Full Name:
    David
    Some parts of the show will be cr@p but this series promises some very good cars: Porsche GT, 360CS etc.

Still got my fingers crossed that JK comes back on and brings the Enzo.

10. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    How do you know what is to be on and when - for example the CS? (not that I'm at all interested)

11. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Not sure if this helps, but here's their website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/

12. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Doesn't seem to talk about the future prograsm - not that I can see anyway

13. Davey S1

Davey S1 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Cardiff, Wales
    Full Name:
    David
    Robin

At the start of the first programme they had clips of all of the new cars which are out or are coming out and apparently most of them will be tested.

The Carrera GT certainly is because I've just bought Top Gear Mag and the main test is the Mac / Merc SLR vs the Porker, both of which are on the TG track.

Anyone want to know what time the GT set or would you rather wait and see it on tv?

14. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Based on the fact that they are all hypnotised it will come first in a time of .0001 seconds for the lap

15. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Steve,I think we all live in hope that it will get better besides,the Wife cuts the grass......

16. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    I'm in awe! How do you convince the wife to cut the grass?

17. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    #17 F308 MAN, May 17, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Very simply really,when we moved house we had an agreement,I would pay the mortgage and She would look after the house.It has worked well really possibly due to the fact that She likes gardening anyway!!!!!!!

19. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    has she got a sister as mine wont cut grass

20. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'm expecting the CS to be on next Sunday. Reason being I'm going down to the filming of it on Wednesday and I think these are screened the following weekend (?). Before you think I have any inside track or something, I don't. H R Owen rang me up to ask me if I wanted tickets since they were doing the Stradale. Thought at first they were asking to use my car, and as I was preparing to tell them to f*** right off, they said that a car was being supplied and all I had to do was go along. In the Stradale, naturally.

Kevin

21. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Lucky git!!!.. I was promised and never got ;-(

But ill tune in to watch that...Im Sure JC will Slag it anyway.

22. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Pretty sure he will too. That's the main reason I'm going along. If they eject me for heckling, I'll just do donuts in the carpark at max dB :D

23. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Subirg and myself were in the audience for the first Top Gear in the last series. Two things stood out.

Firstly, JC off screen came across very reasonably. He obviously finds the letting off of steam in his programme and Stiems column very theraputic.

Secondly, when you arrive they tell you to enter the airfield and take the "3rd turning on the right and follow it to the end where there are people waiting". We counted off the turns and found that the second turning was marked with a no entry sign. We wrongly assumed that due to the no entry sign this didn't count. We therefore took what they would call the "fourth on the right".

This just happens to be a runway and sure enough there was a film crew right down at the other end. Two Ferrari's, an open runway and half a mile of braking distance. It doens't get much better we thought and promptly floored the gas to see if we could get the cars up to their top speed. We even saw the film crew waving enthusiastically.

It was only when we came to a halt next to the camera crew that we realised their hand signals were not too welcoming and were informed of our mistake. They went on to ask us if we had noticed Harry Enfield in the reasonably priced car because we had very nearly killed the star guest!! Ooops!

Even JC appeared out of his make up caravan looking somewhat bemused about the noise - he looked as if we had just woken him from a mifd-afternoon nap. Once awake though he was very generous in his appreciation of our little jaunt.

It's a very easy to mistake - should you decide to do so!!

24. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Mine loves gardening too and considers it a hobby. But when a big hole needs digging to bury one of her shrubic monstrosities, or some plants need murdering with a lawnmower or strimmer, then it becomes a chore for me.

It's funny really, but if she spends four hours in the garden poking and prodding her muddy flowers, she is working. If I spend four hours polishing, cleaning and detailing the car, then I'm being hopelessly unreasonable selfishly indulging in my hobby.

25. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    that rings a bell ask her if she has a secrect sister in yorkshire