MP3 question | FerrariChat

MP3 question

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by WJHMH, Nov 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    How do I convert CD's saved to my hard drive to an MP3 format? Do I need a certain program to do this?

Thanks

2. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    There're a bunch of programs to do this either free or something you need to buy. It's not clear from your post if you are trying to get regular music CD's to MP3(in which case CdCopy does the job nicely and it's free) or you have some WAV/AU/etc files you need to MP3 (Razor Lame is an oldie I've been using for this with success).

Cheers

3. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I'm sorry I'm such a NON techie, buy what IS an MP3? I hear about it all the time and have been too embarassed to ask!!

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Becker,

Yep, thats what I'm trying to do. Convert my CD's to MP3 files. Thanks for the info.

5. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    it is just a file format... kind of like .wmv, .mpg, .avi (for movies) or .exe, or .wav (for sound)

The great thing about it is that it takes .wav's and compresses them to about a tenth of their size. MP3's have been popularized (you probably know this) for their use with songs. People take songs from CD's and make them into MP3's, then distribute them over the internet without paying for them. The average song MP3 can be anywhere from 3-7 megabytes, compared to 30-70 megabytes for a .wav.

6. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I've use/used...

Audio Catalyst
    Audiograbber
    Music Match Jukebox

The first two are my favorite for creating MP3s, the third I only use with my iPod, a small portable hard drive with a built in MP3 player player built in to carry my collection with me and have available in the car.

Sunny

7. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Thanks Rikki!!

8. Steve Marschman

Steve Marschman Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Idaho Falls
    Full Name:
    Steve Marschman
    Invest in software that allows you to burn files as mp3pro. You get much better sound quality and still have good file compression. I have been using Nero Burning ROM for several years and recently upgraded to Nero 6.0. They've been so successful that you can now by Nero at Best Buy and other places. If you have a high speed internet, you can purchase it on line from them.

Regards-

9. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    mp3pro is risky IIRC. some mp3 players have trouble playing them and/or reading the ID3 tags.

Since you are new to the mp3 stuff (original poster) I suggest you go for something like MusicMatch, or if you can contact me personally on

AIM: vraa
    MSN Messenger: [email protected]

I can guide you step through step with a program of your choice or something. Im always free to help, and since I just got back from being out of the country, I should be on the computer almost the entire day working on homework and catching up from what I missed this week so don't hesitate to IM me!

10. Sharky

Sharky Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2002
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bart Boonacker
    Yeps, I've always used Audiograbber, works fine for me. You can choose which quality you want, and in coorperation with CDDB (CD DataBase) you don't have name your MP3's yourself.

With Nero Burning Rom you can create your own compilation cd's.
    Very user friendly.

Also used Audiocatalyst, working just fine.

Tried Realplayer Jukebox for a while but that didn't do it for me.
    I've heared about a lot of other MP3 rippers, but these worked best for me.

If you have any questions, email me ([email protected]) or vraa or post it here. I'm sure we can help :)

Bart