Had a great time at Ferrari Challenge!! | FerrariChat

Had a great time at Ferrari Challenge!!

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by 4re308, May 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    It was a fantastic weekend, thanks to Ferrari of Atlanta for putting it on. I met lots of F chatters and saw some fantastic cars. Carbon's tattoo is amazing. The Challenge race today was hands down some of the best racing I have ever seen. The weather was great right up until about 4:15 today. The 612 Scaglietti and the Quattroporte are fabulous, and they had a 550 GTC on display that was awesome. Lots of hotties running around too. Very fun event!! THUMBS UP!

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Sounds like great time for all, can't wait to see the pics.

3. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    YES! definitly best car weekend I've ever had. Mitch, it was good to see you again as well. I still think I'm hearing Ferraris in the background LOL.

- Andy

4. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    anyone has the challenge results?

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Yeah, Doug Peterson pretty much blew the doors off of everyone else... Seigal held in and even took the lead for a good portion of Sunday's race, but in the end, Peterson took the checkered flag... No surprise there, he looked like he was on the final lap of the world championship during practice, so we kinda knew he was gonna be tough to beat... After a few laps, he started lapping some of the drivers at the back... In fact, i think i saw him lap himself once...

Very cool stuff... i had an awesome time and met some ridiculously cool people... i've got a few hundred pictures and some videos... Mitchel, it was great finally meeting you...

More to come, later... :)

6. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    I had a fantastic time as well! The 360's were amazing. Peterson was unreal wasn't he. Once he got his nose out in front there was no catching him. The sound of those cars ripping down the front straight was sweeter than a symphony. My wife and I were'nt sure how it would be, as it was our first time. We thought it might be a bit snobby so we booked track time for saturday only. We figured we could bail out on sunday if we didn't like it. What we discovered was a wonderful group of people. We had a great time. What did you guys think of super car row over at the FOA tent? What an amazing sight. 288gto, F40, F50, Enzo, lined up. I really liked Ed's little red 348 Challenge too. The track time was worth every penny. I thought we would not be able to do much but by the second round, the track staff allowed us to let it all hang out. I wonder what our lap times were? Tearing up the hill out of turn 1, twisting down through "the Esses", winding the engine to 7200 in 4th gear down the back stretch, and flying down the hill out of 10B under the bridge was an incredible thrill. I lived out a childhood fantasy this weekend! Thanks to everyone for making it a memorable weekend for me and Karen. You can count us in next year!

7. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    Turn 10b is NOT under the bridge, it's turn 11. You should be more concerned with your driving skills instead of wonder about lap times, but it was quite clear that lap times were pretty slow... well over 2 minutes.

8. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    Excuse me for having a good time and having little knowlegde of the track layout. Have I done something to piss you off in a former life or @ the event? If so I appologize but why do you feel the need to slam me? Your post sounds a bit angry. Were you out on the track with us? I was just curious about the lap times. The whole thing was new to me so maybe I don't know how to act. I am still buzzing from the excitement of it all. If I have done anything to offend you in any way I am truely sorry!

9. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    Don't sweat it, your car and you did just fine. I actually was passing by your car after you had some track time and the smile on your face as you were talking to I believe your wife was as wide as the Mississppi.

Times may have been slow, that is if you are comparing them to the Challenge cars. But as long as you had fun doing it, that is all the matters.

Mitchell, it was good seeing you again and I hoping to be able to attend your June 12 outing up at the new shop.

Vincent, it was also good seeing you again. Your 355 is just awesome inside and out. Good thing though my little boy could not figure out how to open your car door, else he might have driven off in it.

10. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    Thank's Joe! We really did have a blast. I don't think I will forget it any time soon. I'm sure we were'nt going as fast as we thought but it sure felt like it.

11. Giovanni_P

Giovanni_P Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    That was 2 days of good fun! Pics to follow, but some general comments:

Many thanks to Chuck "black flag" Barton for the ride-around in Touring on Saturday. Chuck drove with enough... uh... enthusiasm that he got yanked off the track in 2 consecutive touring class sessions- arguably, he was well within the rules and neither violation was really his fault. But 'black flag' is a cool nickname, huh? Chuck, you and Karen are amazing people and we had the best time hanging out with you this weekend.

I have the official race results and will email them if anyone wants them. Doug Peterson, crewed by Shelton Ferrari, won the Sunday race. 26 laps in 45:41, with a fastest lap of 1:31. Jeff Segal of Algar Ferrari was second, 8.6 seconds behind the leader. We were standing next to Bob Segal (Jeff's dad and Algar's owner) during the Sunday race and very much enjoyed the father-son radio communication as Jeff went ripping around the track! Emanuel Onassis was third, 10.8 seconds off the lead. Kurt Buchwald, the Bose "Passion and Performance" award winner for the Saturday race and all-around stellar guy, finished fourth.

Lots of amazing cars, Ferraris and others, present that weekend. Pics to follow once I get mine downloaded- the best was the lineup in the Ferrari of Atlanta tent, with a 288GTO, F40, F50, and Enzo all lined up next to each other in flawless Rosso Corsa.

We had a great time in the Bose tent demonstrating the sound system in the new Quattroporte. I'd be interested in your opinions (either PM or here on the forum) if anyone had any comments about the Bose system in the car.

All in all, a killer weekend. Hope to see some of you next month in Montreal!

-Gio P

12. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    Hey John! how are you buddy! Glad you enjoyed the ride. I guess "Black Flag" works for me. I had a great time hangin with you and your pals from Bose. Me and Karen both enjoyed the company at the track and of course at dinner Saturday night. Hope to see you soon and if not maybe next year at the Challenge. Stay in touch.

13. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Whos got some pics?? I was in my dad's red/tan Mondial Cabriolet by the back straight for most of Sundays race. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my test drive in the Maserati Spyder GT 6 Speed with Dick Preston. That car is magnificent, drives so nice and has major BALLS! There was a black Maserati coupe who was in the touring session, must've had a Tubi on it or something, the damn thing sounded absolutely awesome! I hope Ferrari Challenge comes back every year.

14. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason

Posted about my pics in the NC/SC forums!

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Were you the one who got black flagged? I was behind you in the black 308 QV. I am glad you had fun. That is what the first few track experiences are all about. After that, once the track ice has been broken you can worry about apexes, shifting points, and the track line. Once you have those things down the fun really starts. I let my girlfriend drive most of the afternoon. She had never driven a Ferrari or on a track. She got bit by that bug too. How cool is that?

I will be getting a thing together at Talledega shortly and will have a few pro drivers out to help everybody who wants professional instruction. I hope you can make it to that.

16. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    Yes I was the one who got black flagged. Actually I got black flagged twice but in seperate rounds. It sounds like You had a good view of me, did I look like I was doing it right? I would love to get some pro instruction. Let me know when you organize the Talladega event. BTW, good looking car you have there!