How do you keep a GTS roof black? | FerrariChat

How do you keep a GTS roof black?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F1Ace, May 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    On my GTS it has the textured roof. Of course we're talking on the outside. What is this material? Is it delicate? How can I keep it looking nice and black? What is the concept here?

Thanks!
    Wes

2. ROGER

ROGER Karting

Feb 9, 2002
    Lake Havasu City, Az
    Full Name:
    Roger Blakeman
    Use a protectant such as 303 Aerospace Protectant of SP 80. The give a nice satin finish and also provide UV fading prevention.

Roger B.

3. ROGER

ROGER Karting

Feb 9, 2002
    Lake Havasu City, Az
    Full Name:
    Roger Blakeman
    Sorry-correction--------"OR" SP 80

4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Look in the Tech section (or search) for a couple of threads on the subject. Griot's Garage Bumper and Trim Restorer stuff works well. It is a dye, not a dressing. I use it on the car and truck.

5. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I searched the Tech section and came up empty.

Any idea what the material is?

Wes

6. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I believe it's just paint.

The texture is molded into the fiberglass; it's not 'applied' to the top.

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Actually, I believe it was agreed it was not paint, but fiberglass "gel coat". That is why it is a difficult to restore finish, once worn or damaged.

8. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
  9. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I used Mother's Back to Black on it as well as my bumpers. Works pretty well at making it a nice shiny black again. It will not however restore damaged areas or chips. I have a couple chips along the back edge, and am told the whole thing would have to be re-finished to fix them properly.

10. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    MULE, that is an excellent thread, thanks! You're much better at those searches than I am. What an excellent read!

By the way...adjust your steering wheel!!! ;)

Wes

11. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I used the Griot's on the mirrors, lower trim, spoiler and front valance. I put two coats on the roof, but it requires a lot more. Look at the difference of my mirrors and spoiler compared to the roof in my profile picture.

12. g60racer

g60racer Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brendan Prout
    I can't believe you have all missed the most obvious soluton:

Take it off the car, put it away. Drive the car without it, as it was meant to be driven. Then top will stay nice and black.

13. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Try Zymol Vinyl conditioner- comes up really nice, but needs to be reapplied from time to time.

Robert.

14. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Whatever you use, the next time you wash it, it may run down the windows and leave streaks (except for the Griot's dye). Don't wash the roof last.

By the way, mine looks so grey, because it spends most of its time in the basement (off the car).

15. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick
    Try "Mother's Back to Black" - just give it a shot and see if that doesn't make you say "Damn, that's a nice black top on my GTS".

:)

-dq

16. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    The Back to Black works very well, but is not permanent. I use it a lot, but always have the washing problem noted above. I wash mine about three times a month. I think I would use the Back to Black for a quick shine, but I am still considering a few more coats of the Griots for a more permanent look.

Ideally, I would paint it and make it smooth, to look more like a GTB, find a Sarasota glass top, and buy a carbon fiber top, and have all three.

17. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick
    Wes (starter of this thread) bought my 328. :)

That top already has had two coats of griots but it was almost two years ago. Time for a touchup likely. I do love the back to black as a coating though.

-Dave

18. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Thanks Dave!

After reading the comments on this thread I did go ahead and order the Griot's Dye...two of them! That sounds like a great product and will be great for my XJS as well. And yes, I got the cleaner for it as well. The roof now looks pretty good, so this will just be the icing on the cake!

I also got the same wax you recommended from them as well, Dave. Doesn't hurt to be consistent! I gotta say Dave, you did an excellent job in keeping that paint! And I don't know who painted it, but they did a great job as well. I'm still nervous driving the car, but it's getting better. ;)

I looked at Mike Charness's profile and I love what painting his roof red did. Now HE'S got GUTS!!!

Wes

19. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I was very much into boats for a lot of years. Having said that, I had a problem with by Tracker hard top similar to yours. Three years ago I had it painted with black Awlgrip, A marine paint. I never wax it. Just wash it and it still looks like the day it was done. These marine paints last about ten years.
    Another marine product that I use on my 360's wheels and tires is called "Roll Off". A gallon is about $25.00 and properly diluted it will last several years. It won't hurt rubber or paint. It takes all the dirt off while you watch. Cheers.

20. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    UPDATE

OK, like a trooper I slaved away with the Griot's dye all weekend. Since it needs at least 20 minutes between each coat it's understandable why people only put two coats on! But not me...oh no....I've gotta do it by the book, go for the 12 to 15 coats I was told to reach for. Well I made it to 10 before I said "enough"!

I think after the first couple of coats all that happens is the streaks just move around. I thought that through multiple coats the dark streaks would eventually connect to create continuous black area, but no. Even after 10 coats there were dark streaks and light streaks. I was tempted to reach for the magic 12 or 15 coats, but even I could see it was getting pointless.

So, I buffed it really hard and that helped a lot, and then I topped it off with Meguires Vinyl Conditioner which gave it the desired look immediately. I think I would have had the same look if I would have stopped at 2 coats. Still, it's probably better than zero coats.

Overall I think Griots is a great product, just not in it's element on the roof. I would side with those who go to the trouble of painting it instead. I think that's the best solution. Thanks for your help guys!

Best!
    Wes

21. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Try the Griots on your mirrors, too. I even did all of the lower trim around the car. It works best on GM truck door handles, so keep it around for your other vehicles.