246 Dino Heater Control Valve | FerrariChat

246 Dino Heater Control Valve

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jselevan, Nov 25, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Having difficulty finding a 1973 U.S. version GTS heater control valve. This is the valve that sits in the coolant system that shuts off water to the heater core. It is controlled by the heater slider (blue to red) on the instrument cluster. Searched the parts manual, and the U.K Maranello site, and neither mention the valve. Anyone know where I can locate one?

Thanks.

Jim S.

2. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Jim, its a long shot and could involve some time in searching, but International Auto Parts has an online catalogue of stuff for Fiat, Lancia and Alfa Romeo. I just checked their search functions and it works this way: Select make and model and then what type of parts you're looking for. Good thing is they have pictures of the part so you can compare if its the same to your Dino.

I say this because when I did the hoses on my car, I removed my heater valve to facilitate hose installation and noticed it looked an awful-lot like one I had seen in their (printed) catalogue. Alot like the one for an Alfa Romeo 1750/Spider/GTV-6... I never confirmed if it was the same since I didn't need to replace mine, but, I don't see why it wouldn't be the same...

Like I said, could be a long shot.

(They have in their printed catalogue a heater valve for a Fiat Dino, #5723, FWIW)

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Okay, did some more searching...

Superformance in the UK lists the valve as #1820F, costs 18.50 UK Pounds and looks like this.

Now, at that International Auto Parts catalogue, the heater valve for a Fiat X/1-9 (IAP# 8998) looks the same as the one at Superformance...

4. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I bought one for a 72 GTat T Rutlands about 3 or 4 years ago and it was the right one.

5. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Peter and Drew - thank you very much for the leads. I am chasing them now. More to come.

Jim S.

6. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Threadjack:

International Autoparts: The president/owner of the company, Paul Opiela appears to own a 308 Gt4.

I have written to IAP to suggest that they carry Ferrari 308 parts in addition to Alfa and Fiat. The idea being that many fiat and alfa parts cross reference with Ferrari parts. The heater control valve mentioned above may be just one more similar part.

If IAP can indicate in their catalogs which parts will also fit ferrari 308 series cars, I would imagine that they would get lots of new orders from ferrari people. It probably wouldn't take too long for someone familir with the italian cars to determine which parts are compatible. I think this would be a good moneymaker for IAP, and would also help out the ferrari guys, since they could obtain parts cheaply (i.e. ferrari parts at alfa and fiat prices!!).

Maybe we need to start an e-mail campain to IAP to convince them to add Ferrari to their catalog?

Dom

7. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    These damn GT4 owners are a fanatical bunch, aren't they? <g>

8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    We're resourceful! We have to be with our Dinosaurs!