308 Euro or US Version | FerrariChat

308 Euro or US Version

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by berkeleyc39, May 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. berkeleyc39

berkeleyc39 Rookie

Apr 27, 2004
    This Question is probably repetitive; I have searched the sight but only found references to Euro "being lighter and maybe faster"
    I am looking at an 82 Euro but was not sure what problems I might run into or maybe the opposite that Euro's are more desirable. Any pros or cons would be appreciated.

2. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    If you drive a 308QV US and a 308QV Euro of the same year one right after the other, you'll be amazed at how much more "pep" the Euro has. I have a 1984 308QV US model, and when I swap keys with one of my Euro QV friends, I wish I'd known more about it at the time of purchase.

I'm still very happy with what I've got, but the 308QV Euro feels more like the pep of a 328. I expect that relative difference is also true of the 1982 models between the US and Euro.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    A Euro 308 may or may not be lighter, depending on the extent of mods done to make it DOT compliant..

4. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    i have a 78 euro 308 2 valve and love it, and would not have it any other way. apart from being lighter and quicker, the subtle differences are nice such as everything reads in italian, and the body is just a bit different with that nice spoiler on the front. even with the DOT compliance, my 308 is lighter than us versions, there are some things DOT cannot get to such as the whole rear trunk floor area/compartment is mostly fiberglass as opposed to the us version. and DOT never got to the frame gusseting and safety door rails on my car, although it was imported NEW in 1978.
    john

5. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    One advantage of the Euro model is a better exhaust header. The US version is very restrictive. There is also much room for improvement with the Euro-spec headers by port matching. For further information on the Euro. vs. US spec. 308 contact Carobu Engineering and or see Forza #48 pg. 58

6. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I have a Euro 84 QV and love it. Very peppy and parts have not been an issue to find. If you look at the list of mods to be done per EPA/DOT, mine has one...the "Unleaded Fuel Only" sticker near the fuel cap. That little sticker cost the original owner ~ $10K to add!

Ditto on everything being in italian and km & celcius.

I love my euro!

7. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Same here, Euro over US. I've been in both and the Euro is MUCH faster than its US sibling. The Euro has a different exhaust note as well. I've had other Ferrari owners mention how good the car sounds. No real difficulty obtaining parts other than it being 19 years old.
    It's a minor issue, but man I love that silver prancing horse right in the middle of the front grill. You don't get that on US models. Get a Euro.

8. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Buy a '77 or earlier carb's car and you will solve most of the Euro vs US version issues. Except for the bumpers, guages, and single distibutor, they are very similar cars. Mine came from the factory with no cats and almost no emmisions equipment (except the air pump which has been removed and the holes in the exhaust plugged properly).

9. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Oh geeze, anyone use SEARCH...

USA... you couldn't pay me to own it after having a Euro (per se). This is for 1985 model.

.......................Euro................ USA
    compression......9.2...................8.8
    Cat Pipes..........NO...................YES
    Headers............Larger.............Smaller
    Trunk......no heat reducers........heat reducers (smaller trunk)
    Trunk.....no heat reducers.........yes, leads to rusting!!!
    Bumpers.....light fiberglass.......shocks/metal/fiberglass = MORE weight
    Bumpers......slim and lovely.......stick out like a bad hair day
    Side lights....small circles........kinda ugly rectangles

Am sure there is more, but not sure of the front grill, front fog lights, deep front air damn, etc that EURO has versis the ??? USA ??? version.

Hey, enjoy the US version 308, though once you try a unscathed (or re-Euroed version), you will think about Euro and give up oin USA.

ALSO, Euro runs cooler due to no cats and larger headers. As always...

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    In general, Euros are more desirable, due to performance & bragging rights.

I've got an '82 Euro 308 GTS QV.

Parts are pretty much common between the two except for exhaust & engine internals. So far parts availability for either US or Euro spec has been very good.(IMHO, Excellent by most any other standards, Try to find parts for a 20+ year old US spec car...)

Make sure that the car has DOT/EPA federalization papers or else you're taking some risk that it might not be registerable, especially if you move to someplace like CA with strict emissions.

Also, I'd strongly recommend investing in a pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic familiar with Ferrari 308s.

For more info search both the current Fchat, and also go to the front page and search the 'Old FerrariChat Archives'.

Search for 'prepurchase', DOT, EPA, federalization, purchase...

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Anyone have a pic to show the differences between the headers? I know the rear header is different because of the lower trunk floor but what about the front? Ill have to replace the rear now that I lowered my trunk floor but would like to know if the front is also better in Euro form.

12. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I have been thinking of a 308 as well, 1980+ for fuel injection, preferably 1983+ for QV. I agree with the other post prefering the Euro model for all of the above reasons...and the front bumper looks much better...