XBOX or PS2: What to buy? | FerrariChat

XBOX or PS2: What to buy?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by karmavore, Nov 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Best System: XBOX or PS2?

1. XBox

2. PS2

3. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    I'm not a video game person, but as I lie at home with the flu I can't help but wish I had one to entertain me. Which system do you guys recommend? ...AND WHY?

Luke.

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    PS2 for me

3. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    forgot to add "....and why?" :)

Luke.

4. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    PS2.

Why?

Gran Turismo 2
    Gran Turismo 3
    Gran Turismo 4 (coming out in a few months)

No Ferrari's, Lambo's, or Porsche's (but they do have RUFs).

Once you play it, you realize there's enough variety and realism to make you not miss having them. They are the only two console games I own until 4 comes out. Does that tell you how good they are? :)

Sunny

5. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    PS2....MORE GAMES TO BUY, BETTER EFFECTS,BETTER QUALITY, AND YOU CAN USE IT ON LINE..............

ASK MY 3 KIDS.....................

6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I'm with the crowd here on graphics,range of titles,new play on-line facility and ease of use[controller].Control on X-Box is heavy and awkward.oh, & you can play dvd,etc.
    Tony

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    hi i am 32..... and i STILL love to play these darn things. i have a ps2, i purchased it when it came out. to get one now as much as they have come down is a bargin. there are some great driving and adventure games. not for children but the best video game i have even played is the " grand theft auto vice city" game. if you have not been into games it may be a good idea to go to a EB GAMES store and get cheaper or used games rather than spending $50 each and then you dont like it. i dont watch much tv so when i am home and not working on my cars, choices are 1) play my guitars 2) dvd on the home theater 3) PS2 when i want to sit and relax. if youhave any questions about any newer games i will be glad to try and help. i have to admit i prefer the more violent shooter/adventure games to anything else. just my.02!

8. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    Xbox all the way, for many reasons. The Xbox and PS2 are about the same price. The PS2 has a 300 mhz processor, the Xbox has a 750 mhz PIII, geforce2, 64 ram. The Xbox is basically a computer, which is very nice for those people that like to mod them. The Xbox comes with a harddrive and an ethernet card. With the PS2 you have to add a harddrive and a ethernet card, which ends up being more money.

I put a bigger hdd in my Xbox, 60 GB. I have all my games on my hdd, which is nice for a few reasons. I have all my games sitting in their cases never to be scratched, and the games load a lot faster.

Plus, Xbox has Project Gotham Racing 1 and 2. PGR 1 has 355, 355 spider, 360, 360 Spider, F50. PGR 2 has Testarossa, 250 GTO?, 355 Berlinetta, 360 Mondena, 360 Spider, 360 CS, F40, F50 , and the ENZO. The ENZO is so nice in this game. The graphics are unbelievable. Plus PGR2 has the Saleen S7, Porsche GT2, Porsche Carrera GT, Ford GT40, Ford GT.....basically between PGR1 and PGR2 there is any car you would ever want. PGR is supposed to be the best driving game ever, i.e. real world physics, suuposedly they got the real engine and exhaust sounds from the cars too.

XBOX all the way.

9. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    And on the XBOX you can play dvd's. It also has a sensor for HD TV. If you plug your XBOX into an HDTV it recognizes that and give you better graphics because of it. Pretty nice.

10. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I dont have any game units, But I do have kids and they know.
    They said XBOX no question about it. And I have heard from others
    the same thing, because of what mjgermane said.

11. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Xbox... Games totally smoke the PS2 graphically and sim better than PS2 PLUS the Xbox is technically vastly superior in MANY aspects. Between the two there really is NO contest as to which is the superior machine. ANY true gamer who says otherwise needs to open the garage when they are warming up their Ferrari :)

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

12. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Pong. Space Invaders. Frogger. PacMan. (Have I given away my age,yet?) But,my kids have both,and seem to like them both about the same.

13. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    X-box is best.

But, they don't have enough games!

14. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    PS2 if you want access to a tremendous library of games. The PS1 games will play on it (if there are any classics you want to relive)

XBox if you are into technology and graphics

15. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    PS2 is the way to go.

Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice city rocks
    GT4 comes out on 01/01/2004

16. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Don't forget GameCast OR NeoGeo!

PS2 No doubt about it.
    GT3 has Pagoni Zonda

17. Pacman

Pacman Rookie

Nov 23, 2003
    what a great thread!!

I just moved to a small city and don't know anybody, so I thought I would get myself a gaming system. I just came back from the local Walmart, trying to figure out which system to buy.

From what I can tell, the PS2 allows you to play online games for free, whereas the X-box makes you pay a monthly subscription fee.

I think I'm going to go with the PS2, as I like Grand Turismo, and the free online gaming.

18. JNT

JNT Karting

Nov 30, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Normally I would have said get a PS2, but I just bought an xbox today with Project Gotham Racing 2. the amount of Ferraris in it alone is amazing, including the enzo and 360CS. and you can race online. great stuff.

19. BigDog

BigDog Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    under the sea!
    if you could wing it....

both... and a gamecube

you'll be very happy... but if just one, i'd go with... PS2 for the gran turismo series alone

20. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I love Gotham... but has anyone played both? What's Grand Turismo's game play like? What other features?

21. BigDog

BigDog Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    under the sea!

both are fine games in their own respect....

gotham is an incredible arcade racer whereas gran turismo is THE true racing sim

22. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Project Gotham 1 and 2 are fun... but they are no Gran Turismo, especially when Gran Turismo 4 comes out. For those who say the graphics suck, well, Gran Tursimo 4 finally has something to showcase what it can potentially do. It is the best console driving game/simulator, ever. Project Gotham while fun just simply can't compare. You want an Xbox for graphics and variety. You want a PS2 for the best driving game ever made. If GT2/3/especially 4 don't weigh in much, go for the Xbox. I've played my PS2 Gran Turismo 3 for as much time as I've browsed F-chat, its that good.

Sunny

23. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Sexxxbox, no question.

--Dan

24. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    However, The XBOX has halo.

25. JNT

JNT Karting

Nov 30, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    i have GT1, GT2 and GT3 and the series is just awesome. only gripe with the game is that you cant race online after tuning every inch of performance out of your car. GT4 will have online play, and will blow every racer away. but its still 4-5 months away. It doesnt have a ferrari or porsche license, but the number of other cars makes that a minor problem, especially when you get a hold of the Tommy Kaira.

in comparing GT with Gotham's gameplay, its simulation vs. arcade style racing. you will lose in GT until you learn how to maintain the racing line in a corner, in gotham you can pull the handbrake and drift the corners. GT has endless tuning features like gear ratios, ride height, suspension, etc. that gotham does not have

Gotham has online racing and the Ferrari and Porsche license. Also Koenigsegg, Pagani, Ford GT and Saleen.

Both are awesome. Heck, if you could do it, get both :)