KUMHO TIRE REPORT | FerrariChat

KUMHO TIRE REPORT

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by BWS550, Nov 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    JUST GOT MY TR BACK FROM WWOC

I JUST DROVE IT IN THE RAIN, AND ITS UNREAL

THEY HOLD THE ROAD GREAT, AND VERY HAPPILY SURPRISED WITH THEM

70.00 FOR THE FRONT AND 105.00 FOR THE BACK @ TIRERACK...

BRUCE

2. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Hey Bruce, just sent you an email.

3. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I've heard very good things about them. Plus you can't beat the price either for sportscar tires.

4. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    GOT IT WILL

YOUVE GOT MAIL

THANKS BRO

BRUCE

5. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Which Kuhmos are you using? I used to have the Kuhmo Ecsta 712 on my BMW 540i and was very happy with them for the first couple of months. When new, the wet grip is impressive and the dry grip is not too bad until the limit where the whole tire just gives without much warning. As they wear, they becomes less sticky and obviously less effective in the wet. For the money, they cannot be beat though.

6. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I had a set of Kuhmos on my old 1995 911 Carrera 4. I had them installed when I bought the car and when I sold it almost two years later they still had plenty of tread left! And I drove the car like a banshee. I was very impressed.

7. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    tcm

i also bought the super 712s, VERY HAPPY WITH THEM, AND THE PRICE YOU CANT BEAT..........

THANKS
    BRUCE

8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    ive been raving about the mx's on my fcar for past year. theyre best deal out there - comfort, grip, last 1 1/2 yrs with dozen track days. getting new ones on the hre's ive just ordered. cant wait.

9. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    TCM,

>>>...When new, the wet grip is impressive and the dry grip is not too bad until the limit where the whole tire just gives without much warning.<<<

Though you probably did this, play around with the tire pressure. Took me a while to find the "sweet spot" for the 308GTS here. Naturally there MAY be some personal preferences, but mine have NEVER just given up without some warning. Maybe yours are a bit too low in pressure? Just a guess and trying to help.

FYI: Nowadays i like around 35 lbs. In the summer i can go to 36 or so. It ALSO depends on road temp, road type (various pavement) of course. In the middle of the summer they repaved part of my favorite road to a smoother surface and i found i needed to lower the tire pressure to have the right grip/feel.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

10. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Didn't you guys find that their dry grip level was awful up around the limit? Mine would give way much earlier then the Bridgestone S-03 or Michelin Pilot Sport on other E39s. Maybe I experienced this due to the weight of the car (4000 lbs)? I have also heard great things about the Toyo Proxes and Kuhmo MH, both of which are also a good price.

11. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I just bought a BMW 330i Cabrio for inventory that had Continental tires on it from new. Problem was.......the back tires had 10% tread left and the fronts had 60%.

For the price of the two rear Conti's I was able to get 4 new Kumho's in the correct size and speed rating.

Amazing.....and the car drives great !!!

12. ART360

ART360 Guest

I don't think they make the right sized rear for a 355: needs 265/40/18, Kumho: 265/35/18.

Art

13. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    art, i just ordered 295/35 18 kumho mx on 10" hre wheels. should have better grip than narrow 265 stock size

14. ART360

ART360 Guest

I wonder how they'll fit.

Art

15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Bruce, let us know about the handling on dry roads! Nice to know they work great in the wet, but it's not a common place to find a Ferrari.

16. Russ Birch

Russ Birch Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    When I mentioned in a rather matter of fact way to my girlfriend that I was considering buying some KUMHO tires, she asked, "why, are they out of CRACKHO tires?"

Think I'll stick with the S-02s or Pilot Sports.

Russ

17. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    I found that they were excellent street tires for the money. BUt too hard for n/e track use, and they were even difficult to keep warm enough for spirited street driving.

18. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison

James, fetch the Bentley, the Aston's in for a tune. By the by, do you have any Grey Poupon?

19. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    Do they make So2's n/e more?

20. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    luke9583:

I beleive Bridgestone has started dropping S-02 production and replaced it with S-03s. No worries though, the S-03 is a great tire, probably the best performance tire on the market and is relatively cheap. The only downside is they wear quickly and have round edges that are sometimes more complicated to fit then the square endged Kumhos or MPS.

21. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I run Kumho on my 3489 spyder. they are great on the road and track. The price is execellent , you can not go wrong.

22. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    DROVE THE CAR SILLY SUNDAY ON DRY ROADS, HIT 110-115 MPH...NO PROBLEM,,, HELD THE ROAD GREAT, NO NOISES, VEY COMFORTABLE

I DONT TRACK THE CAR, SO I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE TIRE SELECTION,,,,,LEFT ONLY IS THE AGING OF THEM...ILL LET YOU KNOW IN A COUPLE OF YEARS..STAY TUNED..

BRUCE

23. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The S02 Pole Positions have been replaced with S03PPs. They still make Potenza S-02 (not PP) as OE tires for some cars (including the "360-R"), so sizes are limited.

24. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Forgive my ignorance...what is a 360-R?

Gary