Would you chip in to buy DES a Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Would you chip in to buy DES a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Nov 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    If I am correct, DES does not own a Ferrari. For somebody I have never met, I believe he has the most passion for these cars of anyone on the board (or that I have ever seen). I have to believe there are 600 FChat members that would chip in $50 each to afford DES a nice 308. Rob could bank the pledges. Any 'pledgers' out there?...Com'on, Its Christmas time!

2. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    GOOD POST PETER//I WOULD CHIP IN ALSO, BUT FIRST LET HIM PAY ME BACK FOR THE SEBRING FIRST..

BTW, WHO IS GOING TO PAY FOR HIS CAR INSURANCE...A BETTER QUESTION..:)

BRUCE

3. ART360

ART360 Guest

I'd throw in $50 for Des, but if we don't get enough, but enough for a down, then DES has to use the money to make a down payment on the 308.

Art

4. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Art..That is an excellent idea. I would think we can get the entire $30K!

5. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    I like mclarens, why dont we all chip in a buy me a mclaren ? :)

6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Can he afford the maintance? If he can I would recommend a 308GT4 2 valve or 77 308 GTB. You never know, Christmas is coming soon.

7. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    hey guys - i'm REALLY passionate about gulfstreams, but there's no way i could stretch for one right now.

there are like 2500 members here, and if everybody ponied up $100 i'd be well on my way to a nice fractional ownership setup.

doody.

8. ART360

ART360 Guest

A 1/8 ownership of a G5 would cost about 10k or more a month, not counting the flying time. A citation X would be a much better buy, its 100 mph faster. We'd need $1000 per member to get one though.

Art

9. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Guys, Guys! Lets keep this to the original topic! (Art: Your #'s are right on though)

10. Trinacria

Trinacria Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Baldassare Guzzo
    While this seems like a nice idea and DES seems like a great guy, this is kind of silly. How about we encourage him to pursue his talents (writing, etc.) or encourage him to upgrade his work status, and then let him buy the car he wants? Maybe someday he will write a book and go buy an Enzo. Lead him to water, tell him it's good for him, but let him decide for himself. It is much more rewarding when you work for things you really want.

Did anyone buy for you your Ferrari's? Many of us were in DES's shoes at some point in our lives. I was. I worked hard. I bought my car.

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ah, sorry, but no. I met Dan in New Orleans, and he is a great guy and loves Ferraris and all that, But... an exotic sports car is a rich man's boy toy. You either have to earn it or have the good luck (or misfortune) to be born rich.

I'm a firm believer that everyone needs to act their age. When you are 16 through 22, you party hard and go to school. When you are a 20 something, single, with no kids, this is the time in life to reach for the stars.

For example, I'm gonna assume that Dan is stuck in a dead-end job and wants to be a writer. If this is correct, what he needs to do is to write, dammit, not fool around with a 30-year Ferrari that needs a lot of TLC. Writing is a skill, and the only way you learn how to do it is to, well, write. Dan should take a community college class at night on creative writing. He should badger the local paper or somebody to let him write some columns on cars or love or weird hobbies or whatever. He needs to write. And, he needs to write for a mean-ass editor who just loves to bust a young writer's chops. Like the man said, "You gotta pay yer dues before you git to sing the blues."

This doesn't mean that Dan can't have a sports car, but he needs to pay for it himself. A good 87-89 Porsche 911 will go for around $15k and is a hell of car to learn how to really drive. Even better, those 911s are like those damn batteries... they keep on going and going and going.

Then after Dan becomes the next Peter Egan, he can buy an Enzo when he is 42 and get paid to write about achieving his dream!

(Actually, what Dan oughta do is move to San Diego. Don't hesitate. Don't wait. Catch the next bus outta town. Just go. California may have a lot of problems, but it's still California.)

(On second thought, if he wants to make money, then move to Dallas or Houston. We ain't pretty, but if you can't make it here, then you can't make it.)

But in the spirt of Xmas, here's what I'm willing to do. I'll gladly throw $50 into the kitty for Dan to take a writing course. You know, teach a man to fish and all that...

Just my two cents, which along with $5, might buy you a cup of coffee.

DrTax

12. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Dan?? You mean DES has a name and it's not DES?!
    Seriously though, i think Dr Tax is spot on with his analysis of the situation.I obviously don't know DES but the "feeling" i get from his posts and description of his trip to New Orleans put me right there with him.
    It's easy to give other people advice when it doesn't impact on your standard of living etc, but maybe DES should take a chance and try to get a journalistic-type job.I've got £ 50 to help if it's needed.
    Tony.

13. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Poor DES. We could find him a salvaged one that does not run, just so he can own one...

Hey, for all the Ferrari boosting we do, don't you think the factory owes us anyway? Pull a Stallone and demand a freebie!

J/K Sly

And whomever asked for a Gulfstream, heck with it, get a p51D with 50 calibers, you'll be much happier I am sure of it. There is one for sale in Chino my friends have an eye on as a potential Air-racer. Plenty of motivated sellers there.

14. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    I think if DES sold all his model cars, he'd have the down payment. DES, am I right?

And monthly paymnents can't be that bad?

15. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Ill chip in to buy Des a Ferrari, if everyone chips in to buy me a F40 so i can change my opinion of Ferrari.

16. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I'll do it if you are all willing to chip in a buy my 911 so I can buy a F-car.

17. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Actually, I'm kind of liking ART's idea. Let's pool up for a FerrariChat private jet! Although, allocation might prove a bi*ch. Details, detials.

18. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    let's start a pyramid scheme!

19. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    This is a bad idea for any number of respects. You're better off buying him a lot of track time and putting him in touch with some magazines, etc. than buying him a car. Plus, I've heard he's something of a reckless driver (self-admitting, albeit) - with Bruce's car, at least he's got to swallow some responsbility. I'd imagine with his f-car burning passion, he might find equally burning wheels...

--Dan

20. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've done work like this before. Lets set him up!
    - The Car
    - Get him a new place to live (something tropical, under the palm trees)
    - Add all the food and water
    (maybe a room mate to save us some $)

We need a F-chat Mascot- a person, animal or object, believed to bring the community good luck.

21. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Unfortantly getting DES a car is a bad idea.

The 1st law of Ferrari ownership states- buying the car is the cheap part.

I teased DES ( f-chat pet ) because I know he has the people skills and writing skills to earn his own Ferrari one day.

Helping him with School, or basic cost of living while he is a starving student is a great thing, for those who whish to help.

DES needs to think about what he's good at, what he enjoys doing, and then slowly working towards it. If he does this he will own a Ferrari one day.

My last bit of advice- try to stay away from the tattoo parlor... you're a wild man! ;)

22. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Nothing compares with the feeling BUYING a Ferrari,on your own,no help from anybody. Like the old commercial goes,but changed alittle bit. "I got my Ferrari the old fashioned way...I EARNED it!" As I will with Ferrari #2. And #3. And,so on.... The price of Hard work and diligence! It will pay off for DES one day,too. But,I think that alot of guys on this chat waited a LONG time before THEY were not only financially able to buy the car. But,afford to maintain and insure it,too. I think that all of us have seen those cars that were bought by someone who just barely was able to buy it,but,not to maintain it. "Roach Coaches". Purchase price and Maintenance...They go hand in hand,or forget about it until you can. The day will come...some day! Other than that,there's a 308 for $10,500.00 For Sale at www.italianauto.com Needs ALOT of work,though. (sweat Equity?)

23. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime.

BesiDES, on his own, he'll (never) have to worry about seeing a pic of him in his Ferrari with the caption: "Owned"

DES is one of the reasons I found, and still find, F-Chat to be such a special place, though I had joined other Ferrari Forums prior to actually joining F-Chat. I know in my heart and mind as well as anyone else does that DES will have at least one Ferrari. There is no doubt whatsoever. Write, DES. Write, then write some more...

So, send that fish to me instead. No, wait - send some dough to Rob Lay without batting an eye. Sponsors or not, F-Chat ain't free, neither is the F-Chat-mobile. (End of F-Chat server and race team discussion)

24. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Bad idea, I say! But, who cares what my opnion is? :)

Personally, I would love for F-chat to buy me an F-car. But deep down, what keeps me motivated in school, what gets me up at 4:30am everyday, what makes me study and write every paper I have to write, is the fact that, someday, I'll own MY F-car as a result of my hard work.

If you guys bought me one, I'd slack. Well, probably not - I'm into hard work, but I don't know that I would want an F-car bought with your money.

Yeah, he's passionate about them, and yeah, he can't afford them, but that doesn't mean that he's the only one on this board in the same position. I don't think it would really be fair for "F-Chat" to buy him a damn Ferrari when people like Sunny, Jordan, Ben Cannon, and myself, are in the same position. If we post 8,000 posts will you guys buy us one, as well? :)

I'm sure DES feels this way: let the man work for his toys. The joy of owning a dream comes from having worked for that dream.

25. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    peters,
    I think your heart is in the right place, but must agree completely with DrTax, that giving DES a Ferrari by whatever means is not going to do much to change his longterm outlook and would likely saddle him with further debt trying to keep it fed and running.

BUYING his own Ferrari is the answer, and anything we can do to assist him in his future career goals would be for the best...

Which reminds me, what ever happened to the www.buymeaferrari.com guy?

I was going to register www.buymeabigasshousewithtwohookerchicksfourferrarisandablingedoutescalade.com but some ass-h*&^ smarter than me beat me to it! :)