Ferrari Insurance Recommendations? | FerrariChat

Ferrari Insurance Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mrmckay, Nov 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Can anyone recommend a good company w/ reasonable rates for insurance on a Ferrari. I currently have my insurance w/ USAA but they're starting to make me a little nervous. I've had an ongoing dialogue w/ their underwriters for almost a week and they've yet to give me a quote. I planned on taking delivery of a 2000 550 tomorrow but I fear that I won't be able to do so. This has caught me by surprise since I didn't have any problems insuring my 355 or 911 Turbo w/ them.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002

3. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    leyland west in cali

very happy with them

ask for andrea.......

4. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Maybe BWS88TR has an older policy with Leyland West...
    I got the paperwork from them (they had GREAT rates)...
    HOWEVER- they wanted me to list EVERYONE who would drive the car. I inquired about this... they said that if the car is wrecked by someone not listed, there is NO COVERAGE. I asked "what if the car is at the dealer getting fixed, they take it out and it is wrecked?" --- NO COVERAGE. I called my local dealer, asked what would happen if they wrecked my car on a test drive after service... they said MY insurance would cover it. So beware.... read the fine print.
    I am getting Hagarty for my 308. They have no such restrictions, reasonable rates.

5. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I have heard only good things about USAA.

6. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    SPIKE

I HAVE NO TERMS LIKE THAT

MY CAR IS COVERED BUMPER TO BUMPER 100%, WHOEVER DRIVES IT

THERES NO RESTRICTIONS ON MILEAGE. JUST THAT THE CAR HAS TO BE IN A LOCKED GARAGE

ITS ALSO INSURED FOR TOP/HIGH VALUE

I PAY 814.00 A YEAR, IM MARRIED, OVER 40, AND NO PRIOR ACCIDENTS OR TICKETS....

THANKS,
    BRUCE

7. philh

philh Rookie

Sep 29, 2003
    Just bought a 2003 360 Spider. Insurance with State Farm. Rate for the 360 is lower than any other car we own.

8. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    I have USAA also. I just insured my 550 with them. It previously was a routine phone call to get
    coverage with them. I remember in 1987 or 88 calling to insure my 288 GTO told them I paid 205 k. they were cavalier about it and said "your covered".
    Now all Ferraris have to get underwriters approval.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    phil, there is a reason for that...what levels of insurance do u have? 50k? 100k? Also, State Farm does not have an agreed value policy...so what does that mean? that you get a number alot smaller than your car is worth if u total it....chubb will give you $1 million across the board and an agreed value and its well worth it...unless State Farm has changed, i would run away from them like the plague.

10. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Agree with Ricky Nardis, Chubb is the way to go.

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    We have an "Agreed Value" Policy,with State Farm. No driver limitations,Married,over 40,no tickets or accidents,car has a security system,and a hidden "Kill Switch",kept in a locked,secure Garage. We pay $145.00/6 Months for Full Coverage,100K/300K liability,etc...Road Service for a Flatbed Tow. But,that is if we only drive it less than 3500 miles per year,which we do.(Shame on me! But,I have several cars,including a 'Vette,that share the mileage) If we drive OVER 3500 miles per year,it only goes up to about $325.00/6 Months,same coverage.

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yup, $100K and $300K is way to low in my opinion....chubb is one of the few who will write $1M, and even that is on the low side...

13. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I have USAA also, but remember, you have to be an active duty or former military officer or spouse of military officer to get it...

14. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Accordia targets the FCA, I believe they also state they cover any track incidents at FCA or FOC events

15. Steve Darrah

Steve Darrah Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Stephen C. Darrah
    I have had all my auto insurance with USAA for many years. Good company, service etc. However, the car insurance business is now a lot more competitive. Check out Ellington Assoc. at 1-800-616-5510, ask for Angela.They insure through Chubb and will be very competitive with USAA for the same coverage-and will insure your Ferrari for replacement value, will cover track days etc.

16. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Chubb ain't cheap, but you do get what you pay for. A savvy agent can help you get collector car treatment with reduced rates and no mileage cap.They don't seem to be in the business of hondling their clients when an event arises. Since you pay the premium for coverage in case of an " event," its good to know that they actually do their end when the occasion arises. I have dealt with a number of companies who take the money, but when it comes time for them to part with it, its a struggle. Not worth it, particularly when you consider why you are paying them in the first place.

17. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Scott that was a LONG time ago!! They have been taking enlisted for years.

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Chubb is the way to go. Especially if you also have an art collection or jewlery. Very easy to deal with and top notch in their field.

19. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    have been insured by USAA for 30 plus yrs.IMO best ins co in the USA.
    All my cars including '03 575 was covered with just a phone call.
    I wonder if the delay may be due to other factors?(driving record etc?)

20. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    correction--"were"covered.

21. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    They probably are one of the best..but have a major loss and I think they are just another insurance company.I've been with them since 1967, I had a Rolls P5 stolen years ago and had to take them to arbitration and still came up short!

22. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    ALthough I am in Europe and I am not familiar with USAA I have my insurance with CHUBB and they are fantastic in terms of what they cover, how they cover it, service and no quibles claims. I recommend them 100% .

23. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I agree totally.

24. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    I use SF for all my cars including the Ferrari for years. No problems. Haven't wrecked a sportscar yet, though ;).

25. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    I use SF for all my cars including the Ferrari for years. No problems. Haven't wrecked a sportscar yet, though ;).