No longer a virgin :) | FerrariChat

No longer a virgin :)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jordan747_400, Nov 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Yes, I have driven a Ferrari for the first time! I have been lucky enough to ride in several Ferraris including a short hop in an F40LM, a 550, 348 Challenge, and quite a few others, but I have never had the opportunity to drive a Ferrari until this morning.

So this morning I wake up at 6am to head over to Crystal Cove...For those who dont know, every Saturday from 6-9 a few hundred people gather in this parking lot in Newport Beach and show what they have. Every Saturday its a great mix of cars ranging from old hot rods and antiques to Ferraris and other exotics.

I knew morning started off well when I got out of my car, walked a few rows over, and was hit by the presence of an Enzo...Not just any Enzo though, a Rosso Dino Enzo! It seems fitting that the owner of Ferrari of Orange county owns an Orange Ferrari :) It was the first time I have seen an Enzo in person and it was STUNNING! Photos don't do the car justice --and this coming from a person who hated the design at first. The Enzo was the most popular car there but luckily I managed to get a few good shots free of people. See the SoCal section for Crystal Cove photos if your interested.

After walking around for a little bit I came across a few other interesting cars including a nice 360cs, a few Porsche GT3s, a 512 TR, 328 GTB, and a few 360s. I also ran into Dom, an Fchat member, and his gorgeous 308 GT4. He has been nice enough to offer to let me drive his car before but I hated to ask...just seemed a bit rude. Today was the day though! He offered to let me take it for a spin and I guess my dumbfounded smile gave away the fact that I was more than excited to do so :)

So we get in his car and I ask him to pull out of the parking lot for me...Didnt know the dimensions of the car and I didnt want to hit any of the other cars around. We make it out of the main area of the show and he pulls off to the side to switch seats. I jump in, barely fitting under the steering wheel. He snaps a few shots and gives me some tips about driving the car. I cant tell you all how nervous I was before we started moving...terrified about stalling the car, or worse!

The clutch was stiff, but with just a bit of gas it wasn't terribly hard to ease into first gear. The GT4 doesn't have power steering but I was suprised how easy it was to control even at slower speeds. We slowly pull out of the parking lot and make a left on PCH. All I could think of while driving was that this was the realization of one of my biggest dreams...I was driving a Ferrari! For a 17 year old that is quite a feeling :)

We cruise down PCH, turn around in a residential area in Laguna Beach, and make our way back to Crystal Cove. I tried to be cautious with speed and revs on the way there but as we made our way back Dom let me try out the acceleration a little bit. Even in the lower revs the car had no problem passing the other cars. For a near 30 year old car, it was pretty quick...even faster Im sure in the hands of a better driver than myself. The thing about the GT4 that suprised me the most was the steering. It was so direct and so tight...The car felt perfectly balanced and you could really feel every bump in the road. It was simply amazing! What a car.

I still have that rediculous smile on my face...its not going to leave for weeks. My first ride in a Ferrari ruined me, but my first drive, and now im really done for :) Ferrari fever at its worst (best?)! I do have to say though, that jumping back in my Mustang after driving a Ferrari was just horrible...Now Im really spoiled!

Dom, I cant thank you enough! Quite a special opportunity for me --or anybody for that matter! Not many people ever have the chance to do some of the things Ive been lucky enough to do and it is all thanks to this great website and people like you :) So, thank you!

Here are a few shots. For pictures of the Enzo, 360cs, and other cars at Crystal Cove this morning, look for a thread in the socal section in a few hours. It will take a while to post all the pictures :)

2. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
  3. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
  4. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
  5. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    That's really great man!! Lucky you!
    Would love to drive a GT4 in the future :)

6. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Awsome Jordan! Looks like it was a great time.

7. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

very cool Jordan - your expression says it all!

8. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    Wow - congrats Jordan! You look right at home behind the wheel :)

Dom, that's very gracious of you, and your 308 GT4 is beautiful!

I was ruined too Jordan, right after driving my first 308 GTS QV...almost bought one right before meeting my wife and my priorites changed, but she's cool with me getting an F-car once I've saved up for it, so hopefully in a few years.

Cheers,
    ~C

9. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    You guys do this *every* Saturday? Wow.

BTW, the thread with his other pics is here:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2291

Love the Rosso Dino Enzo! Thanks for the pics and story.
    Gotta remember to go there next time I am visiting on a Saturday.

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Is it just me, or is Jordan the maturest and genuinely in-his-element looking 17-year-old you've ever seen?

11. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Hah, thank you :)

Chris, it was, indeed, VERY gracious of Dom! Not many people would trust their cars to a teenager, much less a Ferrari! Dont see why though...I only hit 2 pedestrians, got 1 ticket, and a few near collisions this morning. My safety is improving! My comedic skills are not though :)

BTW Brian, yes this show is every saturday from 6-9am. Its very informal, just bring whatever you have! Often you will see a modest stock mustang like mine parked next to supercars. Apart from the great mix of cars, another great reason to go is the people! Its fun to mingle with a bunch of car enthusiasts. People can suprise you sometimes...Talked to a guy who owned an old highly modified Mustang one time and it turns out he is also into Alfa Romeos and other Italian cars. Everybody there seems to know a bit about every car :)

Let us know if you are ever coming out to Southern California again. Id always love to meet some more members!

12. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Cool! I had the same feeling the first time I drove a Ferrari. Not fair that you all have a weekly cruise-in with fcars. The only gatherings at 6am on the weekends here in Tennessee are the minivans at Walmart.

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Lucky you! More of those beautiful, fantastic Tennessee roads for you to stretch out on. I've driven across the US several times, and the Smoky Mountains always provided a stunning backdrop to the most well-maintained, worthy-of-praise roads the CA-DC trip had to offer.

More details from both of ya!

14. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Try and start something! This event, Im sure, was started by word of mouth. Now we get about 250 cars every weekend --probably over 300-350 in the summer time! There have to be some more sports car owners out there!

BTW, I also drive a minivan and I love Walmart :)

15. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Loved the pictures you took. Must have been lots of fun.

16. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Congrats Jordan! Just wait 'til you land a 747-400 for the first time ;-)

Lee, let me know when you want to meet at the Wal-Mart. East TN could use a car cruise every now and then.

17. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    It was a blast to see Jordan driving the car with a smile on his face. Next time, though, you need to really press down that accelerator pedal :)

As I mentioned to you in the car, this is now officially a tradition. When you finally get your ferrari, you must let another well deserving tifosi take the wheel for his first drive in a ferrari.

Dom

18. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    JORDAN - AWESOME, MAN, CONGRATULATIONS...!!! i can't think of anyone else more DEServing of an opportunity to drive a Ferrari...! You are the man...
    i'm gonna go check out the pictures, now... (Gotta see that Enzo!:))

Dom, you're truly a stand-up guy and a class act... Meeting you was a pleasure when i was out in California; i'm sorry we didn't have more of a chance to conversate... i WILL, however, rectify that next time i'm out there... :) Bob keeps asking me when i'm coming out again; i'm starting to think he means it...
    As you mentioned, it's now a tradition to let someone drive the new owners' Ferrari; i can't wait 'til i own one... it'll be open season at my house for owners and non-owners alike... :)
    i'll even chip some paint off my bumper in honor of Bob... :)

19. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Still smiling Dom :) I really wanted to be cautious about speed since Im not used to the cars but hopefully I wasn't too much of a granny! Even while not pushing the car, I could feel how much power it had. It seems the car just wanted to cruise at 120 real bad :) Maybe one of these days you could take me for a spin and show me what the car can really do!

As far as new tradition, you can count on me to keep it alive! I have said it before, but once I get my Ferrari, any member of the website is more than welcome to drive it! I want to be the first person to have a 100,000 mile F40 so if your in town, feel free to stack up a few hundred miles at a time :)

20. Chenrezi

Chenrezi Karting

Feb 10, 2003
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    Awesome pics!!!!
    I was stunned! That's really a great gathering.
    Out here we have a weekly get together near the beach as well, but not nearly as impressive as that!
    Last weekend there was a black 550 Maranello, a red 355 a a red 360 (who stayed just for a moment). But mostly you see kids who love their cars and souped up pocket rockets (Integras are a fav; a couple of Supra's; the ocasional RX7, and a bunch of S2000 and Citroen Saxo).
    There is one Viper GTS with the blue stripes (though I've never seen him there) which is suposedly the only GTS in the country (there's two more RT10 from what I've been told). And a few Lambos (a grey Diablo that makes the floor shake with its rumble) and two countachs (one black, one white).
    But like I've said these I've never seen in those gatherings and even the Ferrari's are very rare to see near the rest of the cars.
    We get to see them everyweekend parked in front of the local cofee shop :)
    My only sad thing is... no owner has ever ofered me a ride in one... Only a jacket and a cap that (suposedly) belonged to one of Ferrari's F1 mechanics in the 90 or 91 season... :) Hey, who am I to complain, right?
    But I must say I'm definitly tempted to go to SoCal and check those things out myself :)
    Thanks for the pics, and congrats on the whole experience!!

Miguel

21. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Miguel, you are always more than welcome out here! Another member from Europe will be coming over in January and I hope to meet up with him as well.

22. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Jordan,

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!

You know...I've driven that exact same car on a short 20 mile stint before it was Dom's. Great car. You drove a good example.

Dom,

If you're reading this. As always, a class act. Good for you; you set an example for everyone.

Cheers

23. Sharky

Sharky Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2002
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bart Boonacker
    Jordan, great to see you got a drive. And in a 308 GT4, that's pretty cool aswell.
    Looks like I must be visiting some day on a saturday. More Ferrari's then I've seen in my complete life.

Bart

24. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Way, way cool.

And now, it's just a matter of time before Jordan takes someone for a ride in HIS Ferrari.

25. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That is really cool - Nice work Dom! :)

Man, I missed out - I wanted to see Dom's ride & that Enzo! Oh well, I made some good progress on my car & I am dangerously close to finishing!

Congrats Jordan!