500 Mondial Spyder Scaglietti s/n ? | FerrariChat

500 Mondial Spyder Scaglietti s/n ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by cavallino, Nov 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cavallino

cavallino Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain
    Hi guys,

someone know the s/n of this car ? I took the photo at the Galleria Ferrari may 2003.

It look likes 0506MD, but I don't think it is this car. But, it look like 750 Monza s/n 0552M too. Who can help me ? Thanks,

Alain

2. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    For me it's 0506MD, 0552M has scaglietti's badge behind side airtake, and covered head lights.

3. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I wasn't even going to respond to this inquiry other than to say that I agree w/ Gilles, although technically, the bodywork of the Series I Scaglietti Mondials should be identical to the 750 Monzas except for a slightly more bulbous rear end due to the larger gas tank in the 750.

The main reason that I'm responding is that I went on Barchetta to check out pics of 0506 and 0552. While there, I looked up 0508M and found the following quote about the demise of this car while being driven by Francois Picard:

"Robert Phillips thinks it was 0568, but this car was first built in 56"

First of all, neither my father nor I have ever made any public comments about 0568; there's not much to say other than it is the well-documented 'ice racer' 750 Monza. (I would say that we'd like to see proof that Picard raced what would have been an "old" Ferrari in 1956).

Second, we have never expressed any doubt that Picard was the driver of 0508M when it left the road at about 130mph and ended up in flames next to a hangar.

Third, 0568 was not built in 1956. Barchetta's own notation on 0568 indicates that the steering box is stamped June 7, 1955, exactly appropriate for its serial number.

While I don't rely on Barchetta's material, and its accuracy has been discussed here many times, it's a little unnerving to see bad information attributed to your own research . . . .

FYI - there is a rumor that 0506 may have had a fire at the Mugello weekend last month. . . . anyone know anything about this?

4. trkevin

trkevin Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    K. Blommaert
    Hi

The 500 Mondial that was standing at Galleria Ferrari is 0506 MD.

This car is already a long time for sale at carclassic.com, here is a link to the advertisement of 0506 MD (with a lot of pics):

http://www.carclassic.com/html/BU26.htm