An Oil Pressure Problem | FerrariChat

An Oil Pressure Problem

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Bart, Nov 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    A couple of years ago, my oil pressure gauge was reading beyond 140 at 3500 rpm. It was only a faulty ground.
    Today as I was driving around town in my toy, the gauge was off the chart. The needle was all the way to the stop. I had no panic. I just stopped quickly and turn the engine off. The needle went to 0. I turn the key on and the needle went off the chart again before the engine started.
    It is a wonderful feeling driving your car and not knowing if you are cooking the engine. Monday the car goes in to see Larry. I hope his warrant for work covers this.

2. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Bart,

when buying my car I took it to the main dealers for a full inspetion. Although the oil pressure gauge was showing elevated reading they checked and said that the pressure was fine. It was a faulty "sender unit"

I hope this might help

Philip

3. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Bart sounds like either the sending unit is shot or the wire that goes to it is shorting to ground.The normal way to check if the gage is ok is to take the wire going to the sending unit and ground it out. If the gage pegs then the gage is ok.

4. squidracing

squidracing Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    'It is a wonderful feeling driving your car and not knowing if you are cooking the engine.'

I hope it all turns out well.