308 fuel tank | FerrariChat

308 fuel tank

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ria, Nov 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    can anybody tell me what is the best way to drain out the fuel tanks i need to get the old fuel out any INFO on this. thanks.

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    line from the fuel pump?

3. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I believe there is a drain plug in the pipe that connects the 2 tanks

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Guys -- Combine those two recommendations with "run most of it thru the engine if possible" (although if by "old" you mean "stale/bad" then you wouldn't do that). You don't want to try draining any more than the absolute minimum out of the crossover pipe plug (it's too messy/fast), so take the bulk out the smaller line going from the LH tank outlet to the fuel filter (then open the drain plug -- and clean up the mess;)).

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    If the 'reserve' indicator light isn't lit, then start by siphoning it out of the filler neck into a container. I used a cheap siphon with a hand squeeze system to get it started. Paid $5 or so at an auto parts store.

Once you've siphoned it down as far as you can, then resort to the other suggestions.

When I changed my fuel accumulator, I drove it down until the reserve light was flickering. Siphoned it down until the light was on quite steady, then pulled the plug from the crossover pipe.

Good thing I was using a large oil drain funnel into a 5-gal can. It came out in a seriouus flooding gush!!! Filled the 5-gal container to within 1/4" of the top!

I was expecting it to dump much faster than draining oil, but was still surprised at how fast it came out.

6. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    i think i will do the siphon first and then pulle the plug it makes sence to me. i want to thank all of you for the info.

7. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I disconnected the output line from the fuel pump. Ran the pump into a couple of 5 gallon gas cans. 20 mins. Drain last bit from cross over pipe as others have suggested - its messy (takes a new crush washer). Also, suggest you look at the quality of the hoses while you are at it -- I replaced all of mine.
    HTH