BMW M1 (not Italian but) | FerrariChat

BMW M1 (not Italian but)

Discussion in 'Other German' started by atheyg, Nov 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atheyg

atheyg Guest

The supercar that came and went, anyone own or drive one?

2. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I drove one briefly, not very exciting.

3. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    They were designed by Italians, does that count?

My dad had one. I was too young to drive it, but I got to drive a friend's a few years ago and it was pretty sweet. Allan is right though. Not very exciting. Just a very capable car. Not fast but deliberate. It felt nice and planted.

Cheers

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I saw a Red one up close at an auto show. It had the Rear deck lid open,and reminded me of a 308. Engine in back, pointy front end,and all. Very Similar...but different. But,a pretty cool car,nonetheless. Unfortunately,as with most other "Exotic" cars from that era. Look great,but,no longer have the power to "back it up",so to speak. But,who really cares. A cool looking car,is a cool looking car. Regardless of how fast it goes.

5. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    BMW is currently developing a vehicle that will be in the same essence of the M1. Should be an interesting car. Considering BMW's build quality, and the expected performance level (in order to keep up with the HP wars), it shuold be a pretty interesting vehicle.

6. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Better hope it is drasticly better than the hideous Z8.

7. rated///M

rated///M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Trevor Ely
    the Z8 is anything but hideous...

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    The Z8 will go down as one of the greatest cars from BMW....from the very concept to the final execution, it is brilliant.

--Dan

9. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Horrible, and considered a disaster by Bmw.

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    How so? It was an image-boosting, $100+K low-volume exercise in aluminum which will impact how unrelated #(3,6...) series BMW's are designed in the future. Are you partly referring to the run-flat tires not being the best choice for thrills n' spills?

11. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Im referring to the fact that they did not sell at all, sat on the showroom floor forever, and have the absolute worst residual value. Even at such a low volume production Bmw could not sell them, and therefore cancelled it. Ive have driven them for 1,000's of miles, and they are horrible. Bland and boring to the 9th degree, almost as bad as a Ferrari 456.

12. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Z8 is one of my all-time favorite cars. And the fact that Allan doesn't like them makes the car even more appealing. If it was such a disaster, I wonder why it won the Robb Report Car of the Year in 2001? Those guys must be fools.

13. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Planned production was 4000-4500

Actual production was 5500+

Get your facts straight.

14. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Hmmm. Horrible car. Drove it for 1000's of miles. That sounds almost credible. I think if I drove a car that I considered horrible, I would be lucky to put 100 miles on it. Oh wait, let me guess. You had to look after the car for your uncle, and in order for it to stay in good operating condition, you had to put 1000's of miles on it. I can't wait to hear the BS reason that he comes up with for putting 1000's of miles on it.

15. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    LOL! The Robb Report!

I worked for Bmw and used several as demos. It beats driving a 750.

16. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Let me clarify, horrible to car to BUY and drive, not so horrible to drive and beat the piss out of for free.

17. rated///M

rated///M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Trevor Ely
    whatever allan...the car is a piece of art, and the rev-happy s62 is also a piece of art...just because it's not as harsh and doesn't get as much attention as your diablo may get doesnt make it any less of a car...

...guess it's all comes down to the familiar sentence...'different strokes, for different folks'...i'm through with this thread.

18. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    I like the old 507s. I don't think the Z8 does it justice. I'm a vintage car guy though. I don't think any of the modern retro cars do their counterparts justice so I'm definitely biased. As a BMW fan I was kind of saddened with the Z8. That said, I've never driven one. This is my opinion based purely on aesthetics.

Cheers

19. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    The Z8 is art? LOL!
    It has nothing to do with attention grabbing or being harsh. The complete car is no more thrilling to drive than an M3. As a matter of fact, i prefered the M3.

20. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    The Z8, and E38 750iL for that matter, are absolutely sublime. Anyone who says they aren't as good as the older bimmers, well, you have a tinsey bit of a point in terms of light weight, but you're still fools if you don't love the newer cars :) (not withstanding the very latest Bungle-isms, gak!)

The 456 also, one of the finest autos, ever. In so many ways.

These cars were integral to a truely great muscle car resurgance that makes even the 1960s look sluggish and boring. Whitness now Mercedes CL65 making over 600hp, Audi RS6, etc.

Sadly, I have never driven an M1.

PS: As for Z8s not selling, you must not live in the Bay Area? Good luck on getting one when new. I belive BMW produced 1000 more than planned due to demand.

Best!
    Ben.

21. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Ben,

The dealership in Pleasanton has one for sale even now. At least last time I checked. They also have an M1 on display and a 850 CSi too. 850 CSi is probably my favorite modern BMW. Just a fantastic grand touring car. Not very fast or quick, but just so damn comfy.

The Bay Area is also a bit of an anomaly when it comes to pricey cars. I have family in Boston and a few of my in-laws are BMW nuts. One drove the Z8 and walked from it. Drive was amazing he said, but not a NE car, being a convertible and all. Car was for sale for a while. He bought an M3 and a 330 instead.

Agree about those 750s! AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!

Cheers

22. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Taek- 850CSi is an incredible car. One of BMW's finest no doubt!

I've many 'plain' 850i 6-speeds, supurb! Can only imagine it tightened up a notch and with more power. Surprisingly small on the inside though. Great high speed GT.

Sonnen BMW in San Rafael has had an Alipna Z8 in for a while, but it's an automatic non S62 (boooooring! )

You're very right about the Bay Area's microcosom of sorts WRT automobiles and markets (along with LA and I'd like to think, parts of Italy :) A convertible out here can really be a 4 seasons daily driver, wheras that concept would be laughed at in the midwest or east coast. Also a strange combination of income and tastes, makes the region non-typical for sure. (for instance, I found a new E39 M5 unsold at sticker in Michigan recently. Sonnen was still asking $5k premium <hah!> and put you on a list.)

Best!
    Ben.

23. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I was in South Florida, couldnt give them away.

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Have to agree with Allan here, the Z8 is fuggin ugly and a hair dressers car that I would not even consider on my shopping list.

I do like the new 6 series coupe though.

BTW: I am surprised that Allan did not mention that the BMW M1 was put together by Lamborgini!!!!. Yes this is true, thus they were built in Italy too.

Pete

25. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    750ils are awesome. I have 3 of them and they are wonderful cars. Fast reliable and comfortable.