348... What receiver/drier? | FerrariChat

348... What receiver/drier?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ricrain, Nov 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    Anyone know offhand which receiver/drier is used in the 348? (Mine's a 91). Is it proprietary like the TR?

2. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    I'm not sure, Rick. I do have the parts manual though. If you'd like, I'll look up the part # for you when I get home. Just let me know.
    Jeff

3. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    It's the same as the TR, the Ferrari part number is 62655500 and don't forget the bottle should be replaced every two years.

MW

4. SeaBayR

SeaBayR Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    On the Chesapeake
    As long as the A/C system has not been open to the air the reciever dryer will last FOREVER. Opening the system to replace a dryer is unnecessary and introduces moisture in to the entire system/compressor unnecessarilly. The AC system is not Ferrari, it's usually Bosch or Delco or Sanyo.

Since this its rare that it work forever (you never had a low freon level, never needed a compressor) the rule is that if the system is EMPTY (not just low) for any period of time or if a Compressor has failed, the moisture is absorbed by the desicant and the dryer filter collects the filings and scraps from a blown compressor.

The alterative to a replacement dryer is go to a BIG A/C shop and have the original one cut open and a new desicant sack put in. Tell them which Freon you will refill the system with(R12/old or R134new) They'll weld up the canister. and send it back to you sealed with plastic plgs (leave then sealed untll the rest of the system is ready to be refilled). Get an 'oil charge' also and depending on the freon make sure you get a new expansion valve and filter.

5. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    Another option and maybe easier, is to take your old reciever/dryer to an a/c parts supplier and have them match it up with a stock unit. The reciever /dryer in the ferraris is very common and not special designed for the car.
    I remember buying them in the past from an a/c parts supplier, but unfortunatly I don`t recall the part number.

I am sure though if you take it to a good supplier, they can match it up.

best regards, Jim

6. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Ric - did you get my PM?

Shan

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    250 degrees F in your wife's oven for 2 hours. Guarantee to work. Try it. This assumes water absorbsion not years of misuse crap.